What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion prospects in the the future NRL vs afl

I guess he means their estimated fan base. Which according to Roy Morgan is anywhere between 700 000 to 900 000. No more larger than Essendon or West Coast. But as we all know passive fans are not the same thing as contributing supporters. Hell the Broncos would probably have well over a million fans.

Exactly. I meant the total numbers who'd call themselves Collingwood fans, and there's sh*tloads of them. I saw the Roy Morgan figures you mentioned and there are higher estimates, like over a million. Collingwood is very well supported, god knows why, but they are. Not by me!

In-goal

Bench
I think a few of you have swallowed the delusional pills.

One, the government wont want to lock out the biggest of the football codes, especially when it comes to new stadiums, and specifically in Perth and Adelaide.

Football (Soccer) is still and will remain a mainly summer sport with little crossover into the winter seasons, therefore, until the A-League clubs grow like the Melbourne Victory, stand alone rectangular stadiums are a dream. From what I have seen, Sydney FC plays before lots of empty seats week in week out, the same with Newcastle and the CC. Why will the Commonwealth build these stadiums without the AFL’s assistance?

Be sensible!

elbusto

Coach
I think a few of you have swallowed the delusional pills.

One, the government wont want to lock out the biggest of the football codes, especially when it comes to new stadiums, and specifically in Perth and Adelaide.

Football (Soccer) is still and will remain a mainly summer sport with little crossover into the winter seasons, therefore, until the A-League clubs grow like the Melbourne Victory, stand alone rectangular stadiums are a dream. From what I have seen, Sydney FC plays before lots of empty seats week in week out, the same with Newcastle and the CC. Why will the Commonwealth build these stadiums without the AFL’s assistance?

Be sensible!
I have no idea why any Government would build a stadium in Sydney, Newcastle or the Central Coast of NSW with the AFLs assistance. Mostly because I have no idea WTF the AFL has to do with the building of such stadia:p

dimitri

First Grade
awesome stadium - kind of looked like canberra stadium in rectangular mode! shame it has beeen put on hold.

anything to get the reds back will be a good thing.

if its a redeveloped MES that would be fine too!

the idea of having a stadium that covers both afl and league, soccer, rugby etc in peth and adelaide is a great idea as it allows us to have a new stadium that is of a bigger capacity of a rectangle only.
My only problem is that 65k doesnt sound big enough. It will end up like lang park and skilled stadium not big enough.

In-goal

Bench
It will end up like lang park and skilled stadium not big enough.

I have no idea why these two stadiums were built to there current capacity, it's a little silly especially Lang Park.

I think Perth needs a 70K seat stadium, but I'm not sure what would be involved with a design for retractable seats.

lang park and skilled would have been fine if they had of been designed to be expanded on. The brissie stadium that was going to be built and the showgrounds would have been a winner but who knows what these people think

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem with that design of stadium is that it is fine if you are one of the lucky 20-25,000 on the lower tier when it is moved in (which given Etihad experience doesn't always happen anyway due to cost of doing it) but if you then end up on the 2nd or 3rd tier you are basically still in AFL configuration and miles from the pitch. Bring the binoculars! Also 20,000 in a 65,000 stadium is v poor for atmpsohpere and game day experience. I'd rather we had a stadium of 30,000 we could aim to fill than one that was alwyas half to 3/4 empty.

I still think the Burswood solution would have been awsome for the city. A 65,000 AFL stadium, a 30,000 rectangular stadium and a entertainment precinct running along the Burswood foreshore. Oh for politicians with some vision!

I remember in '96 when fans where playing up at the cr4p viewing at the WACA the suggestion the Reds would become the first RL team to play in an indoor stadium. They were trying to figure out how to get a grass pitch in and out of the Burswood doom. Now that would have been an amazing atmosphere!

Perth Red

Post Whore
They've been hovering just under 10,000 but have been a basket case on and off the field since Aleague started. This season is their best start for years and they are up around 15,000. Soccer is massive in Perth and I can see a well financed and run Glory cracking 20,000 no problem.

Force crowds have bee droppping from an initial 25,000 down to 20,000 last year but they claim alot of that is to do with playing at Subi.

Reds, who knows? I would hope we would start at around the 15,000 and build from there. If we got good management, plenty of money behind us and more NRL/TV/Media support leading up to our inclusion we could start at close to 20,000 I reckon.

Well the redevelop sounds like the best option for a rectangle then.
Would be a shame to miss out on a 60-70k stadium in perth though.
Could play Test matches and maybe even a soo game.
At least with the redevelopment in leaves the door open for a bigger rectangular stadium down the track

Joker's Wild

Coach
The area that Suncorp is built on would not allow for a stadium much bigger than the current one . Something the size of ANZ (Homebush) would not fit on that patch of land.

Skilled park however is a differnt story

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shame they didn't consider expansion when they built Suncorp. I do find the planners very short sighted when it comes to stadiums and building them for increased capacity into the future. Most stadiums have a 40-50 year life span. You mustn't have much faith in your business if you don't consider your customer base will grow in 50 years!

Joker's Wild

Coach
Shame they didn't consider expansion when they built Suncorp. I do find the planners very short sighted when it comes to stadiums and building them for increased capacity into the future. Most stadiums have a 40-50 year life span. You mustn't have much faith in your business if you don't consider your customer base will grow in 50 years!

It was a matter of engineering mate, not short sighted-ness

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
It was a matter of engineering mate, not short sighted-ness
Still, if it's not possible to re engineer the roof and fill in the 3rd tier than it will cost Brisbane any chance of host a WC semi final if we win the bid. Suncorp will need another 8000 seats, and yes I'm aware the site is restricted, so if Perth does the right thing it was be Brisbanes loss and Perth's gain.

Problem with that design of stadium is that it is fine if you are one of the lucky 20-25,000 on the lower tier when it is moved in (which given Etihad experience doesn't always happen anyway due to cost of doing it) but if you then end up on the 2nd or 3rd tier you are basically still in AFL configuration and miles from the pitch. Bring the binoculars! Also 20,000 in a 65,000 stadium is v poor for atmpsohpere and game day experience.

True but that is why the Stadium Taskforce suggested a 2 stadium plan. Only games garrenteed to be well over 22 000 (capacity of movable ground tier) would be played at the large stadium. Anyway the Barnett Government has said MES or a new Rectangle stadium will be built by 2013 based on Skilled Park. So even though he's tight lipped, he seems to have listened to enough people to understand the 2 stadium benefits. So a utilitarian 25 000 seat rectangle stadium for 2013 and an iconic major stadium for AFL, major RL, RU, soccer and 20Twenty, Oneday cricket. Well I'm hoping.

As for the view in the higher seats, yes it will be compromised but the stadium has superior sightlines to Etihad and the AFL dimensions are based on Subiaco oval which is 10m narrower than Etihad. In fact at centre wing (the widest part of the ground) this stadiums higher tiers will be slightly closer than ANZ Stadium.
footynew.jpg

footynew2.jpg

I still think the Burswood solution would have been awsome for the city. A 65,000 AFL stadium, a 30,000 rectangular stadium and a entertainment precinct running along the Burswood foreshore. Oh for politicians with some vision!
That came down to the high cost of the structural foundations seeming as most of the belmont peninsula is reclaimed swamp and former rubbish tip. James Packer has offered to share costs in such a sports district but he requests gambling law changes in return such as Pokies which does not have public support in WA.

I remember in '96 when fans where playing up at the cr4p viewing at the WACA the suggestion the Reds would become the first RL team to play in an indoor stadium. They were trying to figure out how to get a grass pitch in and out of the Burswood doom. Now that would have been an amazing atmosphere!
I remeber that, it would have been awesome. The Reds sent Julian O'Neil into the dome to kick some high bombs to see if he could hit the roof which he couldn't (roof 35m high). May have saved the Reds if it wasn't for the $1million price tag on the unique grass from Tassie which could tolerate the diffussed light through the membrane of the Burswood Dome. Just think, totally intimate steep seating for 13500 in Rugby set up. The ingoal areas would have had to be 5m as the dome floor is only 118m long but who would have cared.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Problem with that design of stadium is that it is fine if you are one of the lucky 20-25,000 on the lower tier when it is moved in (which given Etihad experience doesn't always happen anyway due to cost of doing it) but if you then end up on the 2nd or 3rd tier you are basically still in AFL configuration and miles from the pitch. Bring the binoculars! Also 20,000 in a 65,000 stadium is v poor for atmpsohpere and game day experience. I'd rather we had a stadium of 30,000 we could aim to fill than one that was alwyas half to 3/4 empty.

A rectangular field in an AFL stadium doesn't work. Too far from the action.

Loudstrat

Coach
The area that Suncorp is built on would not allow for a stadium much bigger than the current one . Something the size of ANZ (Homebush) would not fit on that patch of land.

Skilled park however is a differnt story

Geez you are thick. Where exactly would they expand? Onto the bloody major roads that ring the joint?

At least you are having a got at the Queenslanders now in your East Coast bagging. Yes, there is absolutely no faith in your business if you build the biggest venue possible in your location...........:roll:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez you are thick. Where exactly would they expand? Onto the bloody major roads that ring the joint?

At least you are having a got at the Queenslanders now in your East Coast bagging. Yes, there is absolutely no faith in your business if you build the biggest venue possible in your location...........:roll:

here's an idea, build it somewhere you can expand it when you need to. Future planning, controversial I know but!