What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Through the Second Tier

TheGrifter

Juniors
Yes the upping of the grant has meant that clubs can now afford to run reserve grade and elite jnr teams without assistance of second tier/ pokie clubs. All clubs will be running their own reserve grade sides and u18’s Soon.
If the NRL actually does go to full national reserve grade with all NRL clubs participating there will be nowhere for clubs like North Sydney Bears and Newtown to play.

It will also push the Queensland Cup down a rung and take away funding, players and public interest.

Maybe that would actually be the catalyst for some of these ambitious second tier clubs to band together and propose a national second division like the soccer clubs have done.

Dark Corner

Juniors
If the NRL actually does go to full national reserve grade with all NRL clubs participating there will be nowhere for clubs like North Sydney Bears and Newtown to play.

It will also push the Queensland Cup down a rung and take away funding, players and public interest.

Maybe that would actually be the catalyst for some of these ambitious second tier clubs to band together and propose a national second division like the soccer clubs have done.
Who would watch reserve grade any way, reminds me of the Welsh Rugby Union going on now whith all the top clubs pre 1995 playing in front of now one YET the remaining few in the URC play poor crowds.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I think that is exactly what will happen. And it wouldn’t be a bad thing. we could end up with a 6 conference second tier with playoffs, challenge cup, inter nines etc for amateur/semi pro clubs.

nsw cup
qnld cup
WA cup
Vic cup
png cup
Nz cup

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who would watch reserve grade any way, reminds me of the Welsh Rugby Union going on now whith all the top clubs pre 1995 playing in front of now one YET the remaining few in the URC play poor crowds.
Reserve grade isn’t there to attract audiences, it’s there to develop nrl talent.

TheGrifter

Juniors
I think that is exactly what will happen. And it wouldn’t be a bad thing. we could end up with a 6 conference second tier with playoffs, challenge cup, inter nines etc for amateur/semi pro clubs.

nsw cup
qnld cup
WA cup
Vic cup
png cup
Nz cup
Well that is what already exists in soccer and they are launching a true national second division above that.

I think having so many conferences and clubs would dilute it too much.

I'd love to see something like this:

PNG Hunters
Central Queensland Capras
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Brisbane Firehawks
Ipswich Jets
North Sydney Bears
Newtown Jets
Central Coast
Illawarra Steelers
Perth Reds

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well that is what already exists in soccer and they are launching a true national second division above that.

PNG Hunters
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Brisbane Firehawks
Ipswich Jets
North Sydney Bears
Newtown Jets
Central Coast
Illawarra Steelers
Perth Reds
I’d rather see $1million of game funding a year go to strengething the ten nrlwa premiership clubs than funding a perth second division team tbh. If perth isnt going to be in nrl then maybe.

MugaB

Coach
I’d rather see $1million of game funding a year go to strengething the ten nrlwa premiership clubs than funding a perth second division team tbh. If perth isnt going to be in nrl then maybe.
Thats better, now youre getting it

MugaB

Coach

PNG Hunters
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Brisbane Firehawks
Ipswich Jets
North Sydney Bears
Newtown Jets
Central Coast
Illawarra Steelers
Perth Reds
This list is terrible

Who are central coast?
Perth reds doesn't exist
Theres no Adelaide rams which does exist as the affiliate SA Rams , theres no Vic thunderbolts which also exists
Brisbane TIGERS is the club owned by Easts brisbane who put forward their bid to become the firehawks, so why the firehawks= they dont exist
No western suburbs magpies or mounties, and no New Zealand teams??? We can have papuans, but not NZ... i'd have Christchurch bulls, the fijian Kavati Silktails, maybe create a few other Pacific teams one in samoa, one in tonga
Also no tweed or any nsw country teams other than illawarra, theres a whole heap in the central west area

Hunters yes, Capras, yes, Falcons yes, ipswich yes
Wheres Cairns Pride? Wheres Wynnum, Souths, Burleigh, surely gold coast needs a team in the national reserve grade

I feel like you cherry picked some areas but forgot where we need them most

MugaB

Coach
In today's Telegraph it's been reported that PVL wants a 20 team comp
Post a pic if you can,

That means conferences are going to happen
4×5 teams or 2x 10 teams

Depending on who gets in as the next 3 teams
But for argument sake lets say
*West Coast Bears (Perth)
*South Island Bulls (Christchurch)
*Northern Hunters (Far North QLD/P.N.G)

Conferences into 4 would be

(Northern Conference)
*Northern Hunters,
*North Qld Cowboys,
*Sunshine State Dolphins,
*Brisbane Broncos,
*Gold Coast Titans,

(Eastern Conference)
*Newcastle Knights,
*Warringah Sea Eagles,
*Sydney Roosters,
*Auckland Warriors,
*South Island Bulls,

(Southern Conference)
*South Sydney Rabbitohs,
*Sutherland Sharks,
*St.george Illawarra Dragons,
*Canberra Raiders,
*Melbourne Storm,

(Western Conference)
*Wests Tigers,
*Bankstown Bulldogs,
*Parramatta Eels,
*Penrith Panthers,
*West Coast Bears.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Post a pic if you can,

4×5 teams or 2x 10 teams

(Northern Conference)
*Northern Hunters,
*North Qld Cowboys,
*Brisbane Broncos,
*Gold Coast Titans,

(Eastern Conference)
*Newcastle Knights,
*Manly Warringah Sea Eagles,
*Sydney Roosters,
*Auckland Warriors,
*South Island Bulls,

(Southern Conference)
*South Sydney Rabbitohs,
*Cronulla Sutherland Sharks,
*Canberra Raiders,
*Melbourne Storm,

(Western Conference)
*Wests Tigers,
*Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs,
*Parramatta Eels,
*Penrith Panthers,
*West Coast Bears.

Nope. NSW vs the rest (mainly qld)

MugaB

Coach
Nope. NSW vs the rest (mainly qld)
Qlds only 4 clubs right now

Dont be a fool, the clubs will never accept an all nsw conference, not when an expansion club has to fly out every fortnight, and this will make the Sydney based clubs not have to as much, atleast my way has an even amount of travel for all conferences

Pippen94

First Grade
Qlds only 4 clubs right now

Dont be a fool, the clubs will never accept an all nsw conference, not when an expansion club has to fly out every fortnight, and this will make the Sydney based clubs not have to as much, atleast my way has an even amount of travel for all conferences

Think about it. 20 teams. Play everybody once & then main three rivals twice. Travel won't be issue. Smart from peter v.
Ipswich, firehawks, PNG?!

MugaB

Coach
Think about it. 20 teams. Play everybody once & then main three rivals twice. Travel won't be issue. Smart from peter v.
Ipswich, firehawks, PNG?!
Thats still only 7, and more other expansion teams that have to travel every fortnight, while the "Sydney" conference barely has to

With the setup of conferences, you would play home and away within your conference, then once against your other opposition in other conferences
In a 4×5 club set up, is 8 games in conference, and 15 games outside of it, totals 23 rounds

My outlined conference already has 5 qld teams within its conference they wont have 7 qld teams in the league, you won't be able to orgainse the teams to be fair on travel and proximity any other way

Pippen94

First Grade
Thats still only 7, and more other expansion teams that have to travel every fortnight, while the "Sydney" conference barely has to

With the setup of conferences, you would play home and away within your conference, then once against your other opposition in other conferences
In a 4×5 club set up, is 8 games in conference, and 15 games outside of it, totals 23 rounds

My outlined conference already has 5 qld teams within its conference, you won't be able to orgainse the teams to be fair any other way

No, you play everybody once with main rivals twice. There will be break for origin & nz vs Tonga or Samoa.
Travel won't be issue, so ppl complaining just hate conferences & progress. Heard bears at gosford in mix?!
Bears, jets, PNG?!

MugaB

Coach
No, you play everybody once with main rivals twice. There will be break for origin & nz vs Tonga or Samoa.
Travel won't be issue, so ppl complaining just hate conferences & progress. Heard bears at gosford in mix?!
Bears, jets, PNG?!
Not everyone has 3 main rivals
Doesn't change the fact theres only 4 qld teams and you are suggesting a setup of 5 conferences with 4 clubs in each, that won't involve an all sydney or all nsw conference
Which means png , jets will not join the qld conference

Pippen94

First Grade
Not everyone has 3 main rivals
Doesn't change the fact theres only 4 qld teams and you are suggesting a setup of 5 conferences with 4 clubs in each, that won't involve an all sydney or all nsw conference
Which means png , jets will not join the qld conference

Yes, they will. 2 ten team brackets. Mix up the rivals as much as you want even on yearly basis if you want. No Perth. Everybody playing each other once. Your complaining about a handful of games.
You just hate conferences

Dark Corner

Juniors
Post a pic if you can,

4×5 teams or 2x 10 teams

(Northern Conference)
*Northern Hunters,
*North Qld Cowboys,
*Brisbane Broncos,
*Gold Coast Titans,

(Eastern Conference)
*Newcastle Knights,
*Warringah Sea Eagles,
*Sydney Roosters,
*Auckland Warriors,
*South Island Bulls,

(Southern Conference)
*South Sydney Rabbitohs,
*Sutherland Sharks,
*Canberra Raiders,
*Melbourne Storm,

(Western Conference)
*Wests Tigers,
*Bankstown Bulldogs,
*Parramatta Eels,
*Penrith Panthers,
*West Coast Bears.
Bulldogs and West Tigers should move to Central Coast and be the main team playing out of Stadium Australia but which one go where ?