What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

Perth Red

Post Whore
Spot on.

There's a difference between saying "we will have a look at expansion", "we will comission a report" & "We're committed to growing the game in X" on one hand, and ACTUALLY ANNOUNCING EXPANSION WILL HAPPEN on the other.

One is talk, the other is action.

Yep, we've been hearing it since 2010. When they actually come out and say 'we will have a new club entering the competition for season XX" then we can get excited. Until then its all hot air like the last decade. I mean look at what Vlandys just said:

"it's got to be a strong business sense "
"We can't cannibalise the Broncos or the Titans"
"there's a lot of work to do in analysing that situation."
"There won't be a second Brisbane team unless the business case stacks up."
""There's no time set as to when we introduce a second Brisbane team"

Sound familiar?

greenBV4

Bench
Yep, we've been hearing it since 2010. When they actually come out and say 'we will have a new club entering the competition for season XX" then we can get excited. Until then its all hot air like the last decade. I mean look at what Vlandys just said:

"it's got to be a strong business sense "
"We can't cannibalise the Broncos or the Titans"
"there's a lot of work to do in analysing that situation."
"There won't be a second Brisbane team unless the business case stacks up."
""There's no time set as to when we introduce a second Brisbane team"

Sound familiar?
They keep stretching out the timeline so the next ceo/commissioner can deal with it, they don't want it on their hands if it fails

Perth Red

Post Whore
From the new NRL CEO last night on NRL360

One of the hottest issues in the game’s growth will certainly be expanding the number of teams in the NRL.
Abdo told NRL 360: “We want to grow. We need to start planning for it now.
“Our chair has been very vocal about this. Expansion will only happen if there’s a solid business case for it.
“The numbers have to stack up. It has to add value to the economy. We need to do that analysis in a post-covid environment.
“We need to figure out if it’s going to add value to the game. And if it does then we need to have a plan to get there.
“It’s not off the table but equally there are a few things we have to do first before we move to that phase.”
And he’s not just eyeing off growth in new areas of the country – he also wants to ensure the game fights off the increasing influence of rival codes in the NRL’s heartland.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/086dd7578c0821bc190a58218505f027

taipan

Referee
And like any business initiative ,it needs to be viable for the long term. And shown to be thus.Money cannot be thrown around like it used to be pre COVID.

Expansion is a long way off, I've been hearing it since 2010, in 2010-2011 the Central Coast Bears were at overwhelming odds to enter the NRL so much so that the Melbourne Storm turned its back on the Central Coast as its 2nd tier as they said that they didn't want to develop players for the Bears.
During 2010-2011 the NRL told Central Coast rugby league fans to vote with their feet at NRL games on the Central Coast.
We did with over 20,000 fans attending Manly v Souths and Manly v Wests Tigers (twice) games.
In 2012 the NRL said expansion would not be looked at until 2014.
2014 came and the NRL announced that expansion would not be looked at until all of its existing clubs were financially secure :joy::joy::joy:
Its is now 2020, the Bears have been linked to the Gold Coast, WA and Brisbane and have fallen from favouritism, Perth were the leading bid contender from 2014-2019 when V'landys said that they would not be considered joining the CCBears on the expansion bid scrapheap as word that another Brisbane team were now the favourites for NRL entry.
So the Redcliffe Dolphins now look to be in the box seat as the next area considered for NRL expansion.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Personally I'd be happy with the Perth Bears. Red and Black are strong colours and are close to Perth/WA's previous colours. Junior bases in North Sydney, Central Coast & Perth could all feed into a strong club. Keep North Sydney in the NSW Cup as the reserve grade. Take 2-4 matches a year to Gosford.

You could setup the pathways now and hopefully build strong 20s and down ready to go for admission into the competition.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Personally I'd be happy with the Perth Bears. Red and Black are strong colours and are close to Perth/WA's previous colours. Junior bases in North Sydney, Central Coast & Perth could all feed into a strong club. Keep North Sydney in the NSW Cup as the reserve grade. Take 2-4 matches a year to Gosford.

Perth Bears wouldn't be a bad compromise. Having a junior base in Sydney certainly wouldn't hurt.
But
You can't have an expansion team taking home games to Gosford.
I think it's ok to leave the NSW Cup team in Sydney for historical reasons, but there has to be a fully functional Perth-based pathway system into that.

If you want fans to buy in, you gotta go all in. If there's always the thought of jumping back to Sydney in the back of their minds, it won't work.

Generalzod

Immortal
And like any business initiative ,it needs to be viable for the long term. And shown to be thus.Money cannot be thrown around like it used to be pre COVID.
It would only work if the organisation pumps them with money like they did with the Storm, How do you think the Storm become so successful.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The nrl didn’t expand when it doubled its revenue overnight, it certainly isn’t going to in the current financial climate of reduced tv deals.

T-Boon

Coach

I dont know why the Bears would take 2 games to Gosford. They have no history there at all.
The central coast needs to be taken over by the KNights. They should take 2 games a year there and change their name to Newcastle CC Knights.

I like the idea of the Perth or Western Bears.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I dont know why the Bears would take 2 games to Gosford. They have no history there at all.
The central coast needs to be taken over by the KNights. They should take 2 games a year there and change their name to Newcastle CC Knights.

I like the idea of the Perth or Western Bears.

Gold Coast Bears

North Sydney already own Tweed Seagulls Leagues club (who have a QLD Cup team that happen to use the colours white, black and red), they could partner up with the other Gold Coast based QLD Cup side Burleigh Bears (who use the Bears old logo) and create a Gold Coast franchise with history back to the birth of the game in Australia and with links to the two QLD Cup side feeding the best local juniors into the first grade squad. Plus a traditional brand is revived in the NRL boosting the Gold Coast's away crowds in Sydney higher that what the Titans can draw.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gold Coast Bears

North Sydney already own Tweed Seagulls Leagues club (who have a QLD Cup team that happen to use the colours white, black and red), they could partner up with the other Gold Coast based QLD Cup side Burleigh Bears (who use the Bears old logo) and create a Gold Coast franchise with history back to the birth of the game in Australia and with links to the two QLD Cup side feeding the best local juniors into the first grade squad. Plus a traditional brand is revived in the NRL boosting the Gold Coast's away crowds in Sydney higher that what the Titans can draw.

The Titans license owners might have something to say about that lol

reanimate

Bench
Gold Coast Bears

The Bears liked that idea, they wanted to buy the Titans' licence not too long ago.

Generalzod

Immortal
Agree.The Storm were losing money hand over foot. until the new buyers ,Ryan .Campbell & Co took over.
Would that kind of money from private individuals be as plentiful now? I hope so.
These new buyers where also guaranteed by news limited that they where still going to fund the Storm, this agreement lasted for a few years I believe.