What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expectations - 2013

Hoekstra

Juniors
I have seen a few threads looking toward the future given our season has not turned out how some of us had envisioned.

So I thought it would be interesting to get forum member thoughts on what would constitute a successful season next year.

Personally I would imagine that Price, being in a contract year,would have to make the top 8 as a bear minimum to even be considered for an extension. However, I can't see a 50% win/loss record being considered a successful year.

Possible impediments to our future success have been debated extensively such as the issues with our attack, recruitment and coach decision making.

So what things would have to occur for you to consider next year a legitimate success?

Old_Timer

Juniors
Well given the unmitigated failure that this season has been, it can hardly be used as a yardstick. Sadly without a radical rethink on all aspects of the team, with quality of coaching being the most paramount, I suspect that our next season's performance may not quite match that of the current one.

hardbaby

Coach
If Price stays as coach and Hornby remains at half back, we are wooden spoon contenders. However, the difference between a big c**k and a limp dick is very little in this game. So I am going to provide an online version of the magic blue pill.

1) Kyle Stanley makes Hornby the highest paid player in the Cutters and has a break through season at five eight;
2) King pushes Fien into the Cutters and the King/Rein combination becomes the best hooker rotation in the league;
3) Vidot moves into the backrow and, along with Fritzell, provides a "go to" option in the backrow;
4) Stockwell and DeBelin grow into their bodies and show the sign of things to come;
5) Beale proves to be the linking fullback we need;
6) Runciman comes from the clouds to be the heir incumbent to Cooper's centre position.

In short the team has the right players in the right positions, is coached accordingly and our "organic growth" is given an opportunity and takes advantage of this. It's very possible.

The Dragons make the eight, get rolled in a thriller, but show the signs of things to come. Our home crowds get back to respectable levels. There is a sense of optimism on this forum. I burn my script for sedatives. I can finally sleep at night.

Unfortunately we did lose by one point to Canberra, with Dugan scoring a try in the final seconds from a ball ricocheting off the posts and under Matt Prior's gooch. Replays show Dugan to be clearly offside, the pass from dummy half was forward and as Chicken Legs Cechin awards the try, $100 notes are seen cascading from his back pocket.

We also announce key signings throughout the season (all at various Friday press conferences, after the player in question has bought property in the Gong, and exclusively brought to us by !!!!!!Mickeylane!!!!!! Bring Back Choc will be critical of all signings.

The signings are a coach (my crystal ball is obscure on this, I can see a shadow, I think it is a man's face), a second rower (maybe Mateo, maybe Gillett) and a half back (probably Jacob Miller but my mouth is dry and I am feeling very Thursty).

And that's a successful season in my books. 2013 must set us up for 2014.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
Price still getting his pants pulled down .
Hornby, Fien and cooper another year older and another year slower....if that's possible given what I have seen this year.
A forward pack minus young and Scott
Prior to be a regular starter in the back row.
Miller and ah mau expected to be forward leaders....

That'll do me.

If price is left in charge for the entire season I can't see a top 8 spot a possibility

Stagger Lee

Bench
We also announce key signings throughout the season (all at various Friday press conferences, after the player in question has bought property in the Gong, and exclusively brought to us by !!!!!!Mickeylane!!!!!! Bring Back Choc will be critical of all signings.

Good post .... but I loved this bit ^ LOVED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

biff malibu

Juniors
Forwards learn how to pass, Prior continues to be innefective, 3 more fullbacks are tried, no major sigings and this same thread is regurgitated.

TheRev

First Grade
If Price stays as coach and Hornby remains at half back, we are wooden spoon contenders. However, the difference between a big c**k and a limp dick is very little in this game. So I am going to provide an online version of the magic blue pill.

1) Kyle Stanley makes Hornby the highest paid player in the Cutters and has a break through season at five eight;
2) King pushes Fien into the Cutters and the King/Rein combination becomes the best hooker rotation in the league;
3) Vidot moves into the backrow and, along with Fritzell, provides a "go to" option in the backrow;
4) Stockwell and DeBelin grow into their bodies and show the sign of things to come;
5) Beale proves to be the linking fullback we need;
6) Runciman comes from the clouds to be the heir incumbent to Cooper's centre position.

In short the team has the right players in the right positions, is coached accordingly and our "organic growth" is given an opportunity and takes advantage of this. It's very possible.

The Dragons make the eight, get rolled in a thriller, but show the signs of things to come. Our home crowds get back to respectable levels. There is a sense of optimism on this forum. I burn my script for sedatives. I can finally sleep at night.

Unfortunately we did lose by one point to Canberra, with Dugan scoring a try in the final seconds from a ball ricocheting off the posts and under Matt Prior's gooch. Replays show Dugan to be clearly offside, the pass from dummy half was forward and as Chicken Legs Cechin awards the try, $100 notes are seen cascading from his back pocket.

The signings are a coach (my crystal ball is obscure on this, I can see a shadow, I think it is a man's face), a second rower (maybe Mateo, maybe Gillett) and a half back (probably Jacob Miller but my mouth is dry and I am feeling very Thursty).

And that's a successful season in my books. 2013 must set us up for 2014.

hardbaby are you interested in a role going as Dragons CEO? Lets put this master-plan into operation ;-)

woodley_11

Juniors
Not expecting much at all from 2013 different from this season, unless there are some sneaky signings to come. Weyman missing has not been talked about much in the media but I think this is massive for us as he is one of our most influential players. He will make a difference next year but I don't think he will make us a top 8 team nor will Beale. Hopefully by 2014 we will have begun the rebuilding process and we can become more optimistic.

64 Dragon

Coach
Hope some of our young guys come through and establish themselves as useful contributors to first grade. Surely there is another Ben Barba out there. Evander Cummins?

We are a proud wonderful club. The sooner we are back where we belong the better. Unfortunately I don't think it will be next year unless Frizzel & Beale turn out to be outstanding buys.

If we are struggling we will need to get on the front foot regarding a replacement coach and not wait until the end of season and wonder why there's no one left to sign.

jenninga

First Grade
Price still getting his pants pulled down .
Hornby, Fien and cooper another year older and another year slower....if that's possible given what I have seen this year.
A forward pack minus young and Scott
Prior to be a regular starter in the back row.
Miller and ah mau expected to be forward leaders....

That'll do me.

If price is left in charge for the entire season I can't see a top 8 spot a possibility
If there is one positive to look forward to is that the team's execution and game plans may finally come off.Then we can all keep our pants up.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Price is still coach it will be sad and our expectation for 2013 based on this season's current effort will be to avoid the wooden spoon. If Folkes takes over he has experience in winning spoons so again avoiding the spoon will be an achievement.

Sad to look at the year ahead as the year to avoid the spoon but based on what we are seeing it looks like that is all we can hope for. From World Club champs to worst club in NRL within 2-3 years. Shocking.....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
With a new coach ( an a good one that is not another rubbish appointment) we can look at a possible top 6 finish as we diefiantely have the squad to get their.

Latest posts