What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expectations - 2013

Cagey Mac

Bench
Everyone is missing the most relevant point to this year....the fact that the guys still playing, who played for Dragons under Bennett, are 3 years older and close to the end of their careers than they were when Bennett started coaching them.

Could Price have done things differently?....yes
Is it solely his ability as a coach that caused the shocker of a year we have had?.....no

2013 will answer all our questions for us.

Mason?
Tahu?
Buderus?
It may well be the years in the legs of the players
But it's also the years between the ears of the coach

Fingerbang

Bench
Mason?
Tahu?
Buderus?
It may well be the years in the legs of the players
But it's also the years between the ears of the coach
:lol:....dude, none of those 3 have had a stellar 2012 either :roll:

Bennett's Knights haven't done much better than us, overall. You talking like they going for the Premiership already.

I never said Price is comparable to Bennett, and never would. But I don't blame him solely for our poor season.

Cagey Mac

Bench

Bennett's Knights haven't done much better than us, overall. You talking like they going for the Premiership already.

I never said Price is comparable to Bennett, and never would. But I don't blame him solely for our poor season.

That wasn't my point mate
There has been significant improvement in those three (even last night) as Bennett's influence sets in
They've won 5 of their last 6
We'd be entrenched in the eight looking at top 4 with that kind of recent form.
They have 3 massive games to qualify and good luck to them.
I don't blame Price solely either but if he's the one making the decisions, he must bear the brunt of responsibility. His game plans have made us the worst attacking team in the comp along with the execution (or not) of those plans.
Price's form hasn't deteriorated
He didn't have any to begin with
His CV didn't warrant the job and plainly he hasn't delivered the expectations of those that hired him.
I reckon that he's done his best but he needs to learn his trade somewhere with less pressure and if he can, return to the NRL
The Dragons don't deserve to be at the bottom of the pile so a junior coach can learn his trade
Do they?

Last edited:

Elias1983

Coach

The thing with the Knights is at least they are on the up.

Where the Dragons seem to be on the slide.

TheRev

Coach

Knights are doing way better than us, they are re-forming a genuinely competitive football side, and on the up, we have done the exact opposite of that. If not for the early run of wins at start of season, we would be the 2012 wooden spooners.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Simply a matter of degrees Slippery
Canterbury have won 11 on the trot and continue to improve under Hasler
Maguire has take a little while to get the Rabbitohs to gel
Bennett has take a little longer and probably introduced more changes to the way that the Knights play
We started okay but we're on a slide

Maguire not only took over from Lang but came over from the ESL so he had a tougher task than Price.

If you are to compare Price to any new comer it is Toovey. He took over a side that was strong last year like Price did. Saints only just missed out on the GF. Toovey had all this crap happening during the off season with players looking to follow Hasler, etc but still got them to the finals. Price had no off field dramas and had a good off season to prepoare. He has turned them into rubbish.

I can see where your coming from to but it is just no excuse for this poor effort.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Maguire not only took over from Lang but came over from the ESL so he had a tougher task than Price.

If you are to compare Price to any new comer it is Toovey. He took over a side that was strong last year like Price did. Saints only just missed out on the GF. Toovey had all this crap happening during the off season with players looking to follow Hasler, etc but still got them to the finals. Price had no off field dramas and had a good off season to prepoare. He has turned them into rubbish.

I can see where your coming from to but it is just no excuse for this poor effort.

It appears that you didn't get past the first sentence of my post mate. I too think that Price has no excuses and if fact that the team has gone down as his influence has grown.

That's said I think that Maguire had underperformed given his squad, especially now that Sutton has settled (due to family as much as anything else).

Toovey has done well too but he's a smart young bloke (CPA I think) and fits into the Hasler mould of training hard and complaining loudly. He had runs on the board as one of the clubs best and as tough as they come. Manly's fate too relies on Jamie Lyon IMO, the leagues most underrated player.

So to be clear, IMO, Price should go now and I hold little hope for improvement under his guidance within an acceptable timeframe

Last edited:

counterpuncher

Juniors
2013 scares the sh*t out of me. I predicted 9th-12th this season, I'm feeling even worse about next year.

Logic and common sense dictates that we are going to be rank outsiders for the top 8 and a fairly short price for the wooden utensil.

Oh well, buy the ticket, take the ride.

possm

Coach
We had the chance and should have bought Maguire. He has done a great job this year.

Puff

First Grade
Toovey was an elite player that won things. Hence, he knows what it takes. Our coach didn't break 20 games in first grade from memory due to injury. You can see the difference, I just wonder if doust is sober enough to see it too.

Mr Red

First Grade
We had the chance and should have bought Maguire. He has done a great job this year.

interesting thought...was the club interested in Maguire at all? i dont remember that.. where was this one mentioned?

Mr Red

First Grade
Toovey was an elite player that won things. Hence, he knows what it takes. Our coach didn't break 20 games in first grade from memory due to injury. You can see the difference, I just wonder if doust is sober enough to see it too.

Great players that win comps during their career dont always make good coaches.. Craig Young and Brad Fittler for example...
yet some of the best coaches didnt really have a great career - Wayne Bennett and Maguire for examples..

its simply a matter of the quality "between their ears" rather then the quality they might have displayed on the field.. and Price has demonstrated that his stubborness and arrogance in persisting with failed tactics and team selections means there isnt much quality between the ears IMO..

Last edited:

saint06

Juniors
Its easy to say that we should have signed him a year later. Who knew what he was going to dish up at Souths? Price had the better of him in The WCC and also the Charity Shield. So what you are saying is flawed.

However, one comment did surprise me Cagey, you said you think Souths have underperformed? What game are you watching? Rookie coach. Rookie half back. Injuries. Not the greatest outside back (except Inglis). A hot and cold five eight.

Injuries to front rowers, their best number 9 suspended and Dave Taylor only playing half a game (if that).

They are top 4. If thats under performing - you are a harsh judge (and i uasually agree with most thing you say).

Cagey Mac

Bench
Its easy to say that we should have signed him a year later. Who knew what he was going to dish up at Souths? Price had the better of him in The WCC and also the Charity Shield. So what you are saying is flawed.

However, one comment did surprise me Cagey, you said you think Souths have underperformed? What game are you watching? Rookie coach. Rookie half back. Injuries. Not the greatest outside back (except Inglis). A hot and cold five eight.

Injuries to front rowers, their best number 9 suspended and Dave Taylor only playing half a game (if that).

They are top 4. If thats under performing - you are a harsh judge (and i uasually agree with most thing you say).

You may be right 6 and I may be a little harsh but until lately there has been an element of inconsistency in their results and they have definitely lost some games that they should have won. Most teams have had similar injury and suspension problems. Luke's suspension was very much his own fault and a one of the reasons that I see them as underperforming. I can't think of a game where they didn't outweigh their opponents by a considerable amount.

I think that you're perhaps drawing a long bow crediting Price with the WCC given Bennett was guiding the team 'til the last moment. Price also had the benefit in the CS of having worked with the team for years where Maguire was seeing most of his charges for the first time in a combat role so the comparison isn't valid. (IMO of course!) :D

Cagey Mac

Bench

I think that we would find similar articles on Buderus and Tahu if bothered looking but as a case in point
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/bennetts-belief-is-masons-medicine-20120814-246rp.html

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Cagey Mac mentions a candidate that I think will be successful in the NRL, it's just a matter of who is smart enough to sign him. Mick Potter has a number of credentials :

- has experience as a first grade coach
- ex-player who would respect the culture, but isn't one of the boys & wouldn't have favourites or players he wouldn't pick based on friendships
- 2 time Dally M winner who would have respect from current players & importantly, potential players
- could attract talent from ESL

Even though it seems early to dismiss someone as an NRL coach, I just don't think Steve Price is the answer for the Dragons at the moment.

possm

Coach
Cagey Mac mentions a candidate that I think will be successful in the NRL, it's just a matter of who is smart enough to sign him. Mick Potter has a number of credentials :

- has experience as a first grade coach
- ex-player who would respect the culture, but isn't one of the boys & wouldn't have favourites or players he wouldn't pick based on friendships
- 2 time Dally M winner who would have respect from current players & importantly, potential players
- could attract talent from ESL

Even though it seems early to dismiss someone as an NRL coach, I just don't think Steve Price is the answer for the Dragons at the moment.

Yea why dosn't Doust just sack Price and Folkes and hire Potter and Brown as co-coaches?

saint06

Juniors
Cagey, before they lost to Manly they won 6 in a row.

vs Penrith 38-12
vs Newcastle 34-14
vs Roosters 24-22
vs Saints 36-14
vs Tigers 32-6
vs Gold Coast 22-18

4 of those teams they beat were all looking to get into the 8.

Where's the inconsistency? They now get GI back. They are top four, and dont look like getting knocked out of the 4.

As for WCC - perhaps you're right.
The CS - i disagree, there were trials. If i remember correctly they played some english side and a couple of other trials. Maguire had seen his troops. At the beginning of the year, if you asked me who i wish we had signed Price vs Maguire, i would have taken Price every day of the week and perhaps twice on Sundays. If you had asked me which squad was better - i would have said our backline is better, but their forwards would probably out muscle ours (but not by much).

Maguire hasnt under-performed, he's over performed and good luck to him. We on the other hand have gone backwards.

I think your arguement is flawed.

Latest posts