What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expectations - 2013

beecww in 2012 we had the realists (negative posters as we were called) and the optimists (Price lovers). Over time it came to pass that the realists view gained ascendancy, but of course we received a lot of flak along the way.

The optimists went from an endangered species at the end of 2012, to an extinct species at the end of 2013. My how the worm has turned. But it was a hollow victory for the realists, and one that they took little consolation from.

So to answer your question, the amateurs on here where on the whole, slow learners, the professionals elsewhere, well ........????

I wouldn't have thought that gloating over the corpse is one of your finer moments OT.

Your 'slow learners' are not as dim as you would like to so gleefully label them. They believed in the 'fair go' approach and providing someone with an opportunity to turn things around.

Yes that opportunity has apparently passed Price by, but not even you with your awesome powers of perception can gaze into the future with 100% certainty. Apart from death and taxes, nothing is certain, so I've been told.

But hats off to you for your victory. Well done.

big pat

Coach
after leaving the scg in r6 i must admit, their was a little bit of expectation, but it didn't take long to diminish.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I suppose that's the nature of the beast DTD. While there's always a few who engage in these deliberate ploys to polarise fellow fans, it does unfortunately come with the territory.

But it's easier to laugh than cry.

Some statements are worthy of answers, others less so!
Old Timer: "What in tarnation! You're either wid us or agin us! Which is it!?"
Atticus: "Now, now... you just settle down old timer."

Old_Timer

Juniors
I wouldn't have thought that gloating over the corpse is one of your finer moments OT.

You have a point there Drain, and a salient one it is to. A bit of somber reflection required on my part methinks.:shock:

But I did say the victory was hollow. Miserable disclaimer I know, but still offered :D

As for the corpse. Pulse, albeit somewhat feeble, asystole is not yet apparent. Neither by the post match presser is rigor mortis. So what corpse are we referring to? And don't rule out the Lazarus comeback option. :D

But I did and was!! :D

OK you did and you was.
I'm pleased for you.
Some people are just never wrong are they?
And those that disagree or change their minds are looked upon as 'slow learners'. I would have thought that they were being open minded, but anyway....
I guess this is all entirely irrelevant at this point in time, as the man who is the subject of this thread remains the head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons - until otherwise advised......

Old_Timer

Juniors
Touche Drain. You owe me one, several actually. My hubris is clearly leading to a fall. Not to far away either methinks.

Drain when the opportunity is apparent, pounce with gusto, showing no mercy. Till then it is OT ahead narrowly in the oneupmanship handicap, but we are yet to enter home straight.

Touche Drain. You owe me one, several actually. My hubris is clearly leading to a fall. Not to far away either methinks.

Drain when the opportunity is apparent, pounce with gusto, showing no mercy. Till then it is OT ahead narrowly in the oneupmanship handicap, but we are yet to enter home straight.

No thanks mate I don't play those games.
I just don't like 'I told you so' stuff, and think there is more constructive discussion to be had.
But at the end of it all, you have played for Saints, and I haven't, so you will always be one up in my books. ;-)

TheRev

Coach
beecww in 2012 we had the realists (negative posters as we were called) and the optimists (Price lovers). Over time it came to pass that the realists view gained ascendancy, but of course we received a lot of flak along the way.

The optimists went from an endangered species at the end of 2012, to an extinct species at the end of 2013. My how the worm has turned. But it was a hollow victory for the realists, and one that they took little consolation from.

Well written OT, to help clarify for some others:
o It's spilt milk now, but blokes who couldnt see it coming, just need to admit they got it wrong with Steve Price... you cant have it both ways, the time for action was well before the ship was crashed on the rocks.

o And I want to make a clear distinction between the guys who criticise every player every week (apart from whoever starred that day), and the blokes who can apply critical thinking over a period of time, and see trends in the way Price is coaching the side.. any critical thinking over the last 2 years has been met with "U need to support ur team (blindly) through the hard times" or "Go support another club then".

o Why cant the Professionals see what Amateurs can? Doust actually did try to replace Price with Bellamy, unfortunately it fell through. and he then made 1 error in extending his contract in 2013, which was about 5000x easier than sacking him with no ready replacement. I'm sure he didnt envisage just how bad it would get though, and he didnt want a mid-season sacking either.. that happens.. his own future is tied up in this too, for us its just a passionate hobby. I do think we have an issue with inbreeding however in terms of Mary & Craig Young, but thats a different discussion.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Drain we all love the same Club. Sometimes we just have differing perspectives on which direction it should take. Time unfortunately sorts out the efficacy of perspectives one way or another. There really wasn't any middle ground on this issue.

Hopefully next season we can get back to blaming the opposition teams and referees.

Well written OT, to help clarify for some others:
o It's spilt milk now, but blokes who couldnt see it coming, just need to admit they got it wrong with Steve Price... you cant have it both ways, the time for action was well before the ship was crashed on the rocks.

o And I want to make a clear distinction between the guys who criticise every player every week (apart from whoever starred that day), and the blokes who can apply critical thinking over a period of time, and see trends in the way Price is coaching the side.. any critical thinking over the last 2 years has been met with "U need to support ur team (blindly) through the hard times" or "Go support another club then".

o Why cant the Professionals see what Amateurs can? Doust actually did try to replace Price with Bellamy, unfortunately it fell through. and he then made 1 error in extending his contract in 2013, which was about 5000x easier than sacking him with no ready replacement. I'm sure he didnt envisage just how bad it would get though, and he didnt want a mid-season sacking either.. that happens.. his own future is tied up in this too, for us its just a passionate hobby. I do think we have an issue with inbreeding however in terms of Mary & Craig Young, but thats a different discussion.

I admit my hope that Price could deliver at least improvement in year 2 of his contract has proven to be completely misguided, based on results, team selections, player development, pretty much all aspects.

I still believe though that the club acted correctly at the time (early in 2011) in appointing him, realised mid last year that it wasn't working out, had a crack at Bellamy, then was left high and dry.

Add to that the enormous amount of talent and experience lost from the squad, plus the Soward departure mid season, then a string of injuries, and here we are.

It wasn't so much about anyone wanting the debacle to pan out the way it has through blind faith, it was just that a better alternative didn't present itself or was missed out on. I don't see that as 'crashing the ship on the rocks', it's just dealing with what's in front of you as it pans out.

Latest posts