What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expulsion?

PB

Bench
I feel for the dogs supporters out there to i guess. If there are players guilty of indecent behaviour, i for one would not be able to willfully cheer them on, so i hope for your sakes that they can clean out any scum that may exist.

As for the person. Maybe Dog E, who was complaining about Gallop, people with legal backgrounds, the possibilty of expolsion etc.. I offer you this.

If Moffet, Whittaker, Arthurson, Quayle, whoever, were in charge of our game now in light of developments in recent years, the game would be in a horrible mess. It is his calmness and willingness not to bow to pressure that the game is still in control, going forward and as even and competitive as ever. Gallop used the word expulsion as it is obviously the harshest penalty possible. He was basically saying that he is not ruling anything out.

Dogaholic

First Grade
fatshark said:
Well here is an open invitation to female fans. Come follow the Sharks. I know of 2 female friends who have dumped the Dogs and now follow my team and will be coming to the games. Yes they are real supporters, I just wonder what type of fan will support the Dogs now after this?

Is this what you need to resort to. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. What type of fan will follow the Dogs? Me, till death do us apart.

Its a Dogs World

ChiaPete

Juniors
The Canterbury Club has to take responsibilty for its players actions. The club were on a business trip therefore it IS the responisibility of the Canterbury Bulldogs Rugby League Club to ensure their players are behaving in appropriate manner. IF the allegations are waved away/not proven, then the club still has the issue of its players putting themselves in the position they have in this instance. The club will have to fine/suspend players and make an example of them.

I love the Bulldogs Club but I am first and fore-most a rugby league fan and believe expulsion would have to be seriously considered should the players and club officials misconduct be proven. In this instance the NRL will have to fine/suspend/expel the club. The game does not and need not support a club with players as well as officials that cannot stay out of trouble.

Pete
GO BULLDOGS

ibeme

First Grade
Expelling the Bulldogs may create more troubles for the NRL than it solves. The club would cop a fine on the chin I'd say, but I don't think they'd hesitate to fight in the courts if it came down to expulsion. Then there's the fan base that they'd lose from the game.

It's an ugly situation whichever way we look at it. Not everyone will be satisfied.

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but docking competition points before they start MAY be an option (along with a fine). This would penalise the club, and possibly satisfy other clubs and hard-line critics, whilst minimising punishment for the innocent players and fans. Say they started the season at -10 points (for example). Every other club's got the jump start on them. This would motivate the team, giving the fans something to cheer for again, and should they be good enough to make it to the finals at the end, minus any potentially sacked players, then they'd have some faith restored. The image could be turned around from scum to gritty underdogs in the space of a season, which may restore some credibility. Just a thought.

Paullyboy

Coach
JK said:
In reference to the front page article on Leagueunlimited of Gallop throws the Bulldogs out of this years competition as a result of the misconduct I will walk away from following the NRL.

See ya, dont forget to write once in a while

Objective One

Juniors
Now let's just explore whether the view that expelling the Dogs would be so dire for the code because they are a big Sydney club.........they are big but are they THAT much bigger than loads of others and are they bigger than either the new Gold Coast or Central Coast sides would be??? Would there be as many fan behaviour issues with those new clubs' supporters as have been the case with the Dogs over recent years? Could the new clubs' players or management do a worse job of behaving than the Dogs have over recent years? Does the game need to take a ground breaking stance on this nasty stuff arguably out of proportion to the interests of the Dogs club or supporters to regain some credibility in the completely important corporate $ direct and via TV sponsors market - remember, rugby, AFL, and, now, soccer will see this a fertile ground to steal market share and league will need to do something dramatic to stop the inroads. Tradition says no? Look at the NFL in the US today, franchises come and go with $ and contribution to the game.

So, go role play. If you were David Gallop and his major corporate masters, expulsion would be an enormously attractive solution on balance. And if it comes to that (which I do not pretend would be an awful outcome for you Dogs fans), I think you need to blame those elements within your club, not the game, for the fate, and ask whether it would be fair to blame the game by fighting expulsion in the courts just causing yet more damage.

I hasten to add that if this stuff is going on as has been alleged, I'll bet the Dogs are not the only ones so expulsion might seem unfair on that ground alone. But, that is a bit like getting convicted of stealing and either saying "you can't convict me because other people steal" or "if you convict me you have to convict lots of others too because they do it". Life's not like that - them that gets caught, get dealt.

I think your CEO and Board have gotten a sniff in the last 24 hours that my theory of dispensibility of the Dogs might well be shared in NRL power land because the difference in tone of the comments from Dog land is remarkable - shock, horror, we are going to act very harshly on any offenders, etc. Just a little differnet from the coach's my boys told me they are gold so they are tone of a few days ago.

ibeme

First Grade
Objective One said:
I think your CEO and Board have gotten a sniff in the last 24 hours that my theory of dispensibility of the Dogs might well be shared in NRL power land because the difference in tone of the comments from Dog land is remarkable - shock, horror, we are going to act very harshly on any offenders, etc. Just a little differnet from the coach's my boys told me they are gold so they are tone of a few days ago.

That may well be the case, but it may also be that new information is emerging to sway their trust. Who knows?

You make good points in what else you've discussed also. I hope you're wrong though.

Dog-E

Juniors
ibeme said:
Objective One said:

That may well be the case, but it may also be that new information is emerging to sway their trust. Who knows?

You make good points in what else you've discussed also. I hope you're wrong though.

To the 'Objective' One -

Ah - That's More likely to be in the majority to do with the BOARD MEETING that took place yesterday do u not think???...HOW MANY TIMES did Turvey say he wouldn't really be commenting until that meeting took place??...Which is sensible. Show a united front - everyone saying the SAME thing - not half a dozen peeps runnign round - one saying this, one saying that & one saying another!

No one really listens though do they?!! :roll: Everyone just hears & retains what they WANT to hear!!...Everyone 's got their theories, and FAR too many of u have repeated your theories so many times to yourselves & others that they have become TRUTH....in your minds alone!!

Hold your final judgements until those that have ALL the facts have made their findings known...then - as stated by every single dam Dogs fan I've seeon on forums & in person since - then - if anyone is found culpable by the REAL powers that be here - the POLICE - I CAN GUARANTEE YOU WILL NOT CATCH US DEFENDING THOSE PLAYER(S)...Not for a SECOND!!

That's all.

Chux

Juniors
The stealing analogy is all wrong. If I am with a group of mates and I get caught stealing, whilst my mates were not stealing, we dont all go to gaol for my crime.

Under that logic I would not agree with a Doggy Expulsion.

The Salary Cap was a different issue as that gave the team an unfair advantage over the competition, hence I agreed with the points deduction. In fact it was the only decent option available.

That said, I think that there are much much much darker days ahead for the Bulldogs. And I am not certain they will survive it, sadly.

Big Poppa Pump

Juniors
If even half of these allegations are true then you are a dead club. No sponsor will want to associate with you. No free agent player would want to join you. Current players would ask for releases or just walk away once there contracts are up.

Don't think the Leagues Club will come to the rescue. They still have Oasis hanging around there necks like an albatross.

Gallop wont have to expel you. You will die a slow, natural death. It's inevitable.

ibeme

First Grade
This isn't very encouraging

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1258&storyid=992918

NRL advised on course of action

March 5, 2004

FORMER senior detective Ken Bowditch has sent a report on the Bulldogs' Coffs Harbour affair to the NRL.

The report arrived yesterday and NRL management is expected to make recommendations to the board today on what action needs to be taken.

NRL chief executive David Gallop would not be drawn on the contents of the report last night.

"We have received some material from our investigator. He is going to provide further information overnight," Mr Gallop said.

"That should put us in a position of having an interim report completed. We have also received a copy of the Bulldogs' legal advice and we are taking advice from our own counsel.

"We need to know how our legal position differs from the Bulldogs' on the question of taking action against the club. The NRL is looking at the Bulldogs as a club on this issue. We are not in a position to look at individuals until the police investigations are complete."

On Wednesday the Bulldogs board deferred a decision on disciplining players after taking legal advice.

The NRL board has wide-ranging powers to punish the club for bringing the game into disrepute.

I'm quite certain the NRL can fine the Bulldogs. They did for the salary cap. The only reason I can think of for seeking legal advice would be on the matter of expulsion.

Kaz

junior
ibeme said:
The only reason I can think of for seeking legal advice would be on the matter of expulsion.

I think the reason is if they fine player that would name one of them that they are investigating,

And that would jeopodise the police investigation.

ibeme said:
I'm quite certain the NRL can fine the Bulldogs. They did for the salary cap. The only reason I can think of for seeking legal advice would be on the matter of expulsion.
Or to decide whether they would be able to fine the club without directly naming the players involved in the breach.

If the Dogs challenge the fines and the NRL is unable to move the matter forward because they can't name players, the fine may not stand up to legal challenge (until such time as they feel they're able to name names).

ibeme

First Grade
I expect the urgency is aimed at ousting the player/s before the double header.

Sharkie73

Bench
If the NRL go's the way of Expulsion, I hope that they allow the other players who are not involved to be allowed to play for other clubs. It would be unfair on the players who where not involed to be shunted out the door. I would say the NRL would have to make some exemptions to the salary cap for this to happen.
I honestly hope they only fine your club, but I do have conserns for the innosent players if it go's the other way :(

[furrycat]

Coach
They won't expel the club... There would be major problems for the NRL if they did and Gallop would have his head taken off because of it. A fine is all that will happen. Expulsion is an option, only if Gallop wants to end his career.

Sharkie73

Bench
I hope like alot of other people that your right furrycat, I hate to say it but if it did happen I think Gallop would be congratulated #-o and it would then open the door for the NRL to bring in a central or gold coast side in next year.
The other thing that conserns me furrycat that there has be alot of calls from other clubs to get rid of the bye!!!! if the S**T hits the fan when all the investigations have finished then both these options are sitting there for the NRL.
What a bloody mess #-o

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Interesting reading.

Here's a hypothetical for you dogs fans. And note I have refrained from comment on the issues above.

The Bulldogs are kicked out in the NRL as a result of this but are allowed to compete in the Premier League or JB Cup.

Will you still follow them like you do now?

Criswell

Juniors
I'm sorry, but you Dog fans must sooner or later have to face the reality that the club is riddled with "bad elements". and yes this is from a Souths fan who went through the same thing years ago culminating with the Julian O'neill incidents.

First it was the Super League deception
Then it was the Oasis issue
Then it was the Cap breaches
Now it 2!!!!!!!! gang rape claims.

It's not just all out of context or misconstrued readings.
Wake up.

Latest posts