What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Andrew Webster

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Thinking today, the two big stories of our season :

1- bad luck with injuries
2- Webster just not being as good as we thought he was.

and tbh, that isn’t his fault. We got carried away.

He still is a good coach and we are fortunate to have him, especially given our record with coaches.
100% agree with this.

In terms of the game plan, I can't necessarily fault him for that. It worked last year, but other teams wised up to it. Maybe he was too slow to adapt? In hindsight (and I will 100% admit I got this wrong, too) playing SJ with injury was an issue. We probably lost a couple of games we could have won with SJ on one leg - it is crazy to listen to his Play On podcast and hear he couldn't walk down the stairs properly with this Achilles, and as we know didn't train. That's not a guy you should be picking, really.

I think AFB affected the side at times, more than we'll probably ever appreciate. I think some of us saw that coming, and maybe he's been OK at times, but I've got to believe he's been divisive at times - obviously the main part when he refused to join the team in the song.

100% he is still a good coach, it's a boring old message but the greats - Bennett, Gibson, Cleary, to a lesser extend Bellamy - took a long time to win their first. I'm not saying Webster is them, but I'm sure given the quality of Webby, he'll tell you this has been a massive learning experience in his second year that will bode well going forward.

And yeah, the injuries have been shocking, really. I don't follow 17 clubs' medical list but I imagine ours would be the worst, in terms of games missed/status of those guys who have missed.

Latest posts