What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F.O Cleary

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The classic fishing excuse huh....oh but what you didn't know was that I was fishing the whole time too! Yeah.

Skinner

Coach
Are you serious? He makes these general vague statements like and then when most of them are wrong he never mentions them again. I reckon I could go through his posts if I wanted and find a good 50-60 posts talking about contracts etc which have been wrong. And the other thousands are bagging the Warriors management.

Go right ahead merkin.......I can't wait. 50-60 eh :lol::lol::lol:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yup I'll get right on it when I have a spare 3-4 hours and the desire to go through terrible post after terrible post.

shiznit

Coach
Bump…

Soooo… Ivan just coached his 400th game in the NRL.

Since moving on from the Warriors he’s made 3 GF’s winning 2 of them.

The Warriors have been to the finals once… in the 8th spot and getting eliminated in the first round.

talk about a monumental f**k up… if they listened to Hart they probably would have had the SuperCoach they always chased after and could well have had Nathan Cleary at halfback…

bloody interesting sliding doors moment…

Bring on Bluey indeed… lmfao

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Bump…

Soooo… Ivan just coached his 400th game in the NRL.

Since moving on from the Warriors he’s made 3 GF’s winning 2 of them.

The Warriors have been to the finals once… in the 8th spot and getting eliminated in the first round.

talk about a monumental f**k up… if they listened to Hart they probably would have had the SuperCoach they always chased after and could well have had Nathan Cleary at halfback…

bloody interesting sliding doors moment…

Bring on Bluey indeed… lmfao
Finally positive about the team again, don't bring me down with this bump brother 😂

vvvrulz

Coach
Ugh, I was just on about this the other day!

Grand final in all three competitions, mostly homegrown team, a baby SJ with a baby Nathan around the corner.
We were absolutely set.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Devil's advocate - after leaving the Warriors Cleary won 45% of his games at the Panthers, got sacked and sat a year out, then won 42% of his games with the Tigers, then in his first year back at the Panthers they finished 10th. That's 8 years after leaving the Warriors where Clearly overall had been a bit of a dud. I agree that he left the Warriors on a high so the expectation is from 2012 on he would've been better off with us, I'm just pointing out that in reality Cleary went on to be a pretty ordinary coach until years after he left us. If he replicated what he did at other clubs with the Warriors, he would've been well and truly sacked by now anyway.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It is interesting though to look back on 2006-2010 (leaving out 2011 because our late charge to the final came after Cleary had already been shown the door) and see how mixed the feelings about Cleary were. In retrospect it seems incomprehensible, because we had poor seasons in 2004 and 2005 and then immediately improved under Cleary and made the finals 3 of those 5 years.

You have to remember though that overall we only won 50% of our games under Cleary. He had a strong tendency to sign/select mediocre battlers and for much of that time we played a very boring style of football. The Warriors of that era had a knack of eking out wins and sneaking into the finals but it was always by the skin of our teeth, playing a conservative, self-limiting style. With the benefit of hindsight it's easy to say that these days we would love a side who won 50-55% of games playing grinding, percentage football, but that's because we've been utter shit for 11 or 12 years. Back in 2006 there was still a reasonable hope that 2004/5 had been a blip and we could rebuild towards a 2001/2/3 style of football. Cleary had a 6 year run where the overwhelming impression was he was happy to just break even. Once upon a time, when optimism still existed, Warriors fans weren't necessarily happy to just break even.

Rich102

Staff member
Valid points.
And 2011 after Cleary was shown the door they improved. Because they took risks and played for themselves?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah hindsight is great and all, but it took Ivan 350-odd games to become a premiership winner and i can’t think of any coach who has ever been given that long a run to get there With a single club. Now would he have done Better than the blokes who followed him? Almost certainly. We’d likely have had a few more middling to good years at least. mind you we’d have also had the opportunity to polish the SJ/Maloney combo, then eventually transition that to an SJ/Nathan Cleary pairing… so who knows.

TheDMC

Bench
I recall there wasn't a lot of guttedness or outrage when it was decided Cleary was to be moved on - he was doing okay but we were a middling team playing boring football. In hindsight of course it was a terrible decision - mainly because of the awful coaching appointments that followed.

vvvrulz

Coach
I love me a groundhog day argument, I just don't understand where this whole "boring footy" notion comes from.

No we weren't winning the comp under Ivan, but what was so boring about McKinnon and co. slaughtering opponents in '07 (+ we finished 4th with the third best PD, and then Login f--king Swann happened....). Price & Matulino were beasts, Manu was racking up tries like nobody's business, Witt was on that goal kicking streak, Michael Luck was a fortress like no other, that Roosters tie, the '08 Storm victory followed by the home final was some of our club's best times, the '11 Tigers comeback I think about to this day, and we didn't disgrace ourselves in the grand final.

I sure as hell wasn't bored.

We snuck into the finals in 08, but got there reasonably comfortably the three other times. Anderson's the only other coach who could claim we even /looked/ like a top 8 team. Was Ivan a Bellamy or Bennett (or a current Cleary)? Nope. But I'm pretty happy with what we got and it was no reason to let him go.