What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Face to Face on Fox:Ben Hunt

Ben comes over as a guy very close to calling time on his career.

Clearly suffering mentally and acutely aware that he is struggling to meet the physical demand of the game in 2024.

Keep your sanity Ben.

Retire.

You are no longer an elite half back. When Toby Sexton outplays you twice in one season, it’s time to go to England.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
wellbeing/mental health and high performance are inextricably linked.

We all know it........ but sadly too many people forget just how intense and red lining professional sports are.

40hrs per week of intense performance or you will b shown the door. Bit different to hammering a nail or sending an email.

The players that play 200 or more games are just incredible survivors.

out of any friends or people I have got to know who are elite or professional athletes I can't think of one who doesn't toggle daily or weekly at best between stress, anxiety, depressed states while trying to maintain high performance in their sport or pursuit.

Im not saying that the rest of humanity doesn't encounter serious stress, anxiety and or depressed states..........it's just there sometimes appears a lack of compassion and unfair vitriol to certain athletes.

But then....... we also don't want to encounter the stress of walking 15km every day to find water to survive.

bit of understanding and compassion can go a long way.

act tough only when it gets tough !

TheRev

First Grade
Something has definitely shifted its in Bens body language, I think he wants to perform, but I reckon he pushed to hard for his age this year.. I think he needs an off-season.. its frustrating because take away origin and I reckon we are far more likely to make finals this year...

Moving forward... I could see DCE retiring from rep footy and going 1-2 more years in the NRL.. but Ben isnt a natural 7.. he has to be running and energetic to make it work... and even then its a struggle.. and he doesnt want to play 9.. so hes sort of at a crossroads.. the big question is just whether its end of this year or next.. im not sure if he would get paid out for next year either way... just out of the cap berhaps.

Gardenia

Bench
hopefully this interview served as a reminder for all that Ben is a human being like the rest of us. I do not think online criticism is wise or helpful at all. Just give the guy a break and be thankful for his service so far. Yes he made a mistake but the guy comes across as he was genuinely unhappy for reasons that haven’t been said because obviously he cannot say.
some thing needs to change in our club

Gardenia

Bench
I
Ben comes over as a guy very close to calling time on his career.

Clearly suffering mentally and acutely aware that he is struggling to meet the physical demand of the game in 2024.

Keep your sanity Ben.

Retire.

You are no longer an elite half back. When Toby Sexton outplays you twice in one season, it’s time to go to England.
respectfully disagree. I think Ben is still elite look at origin 1 performance. to me he comes across as a perfectionist who is very hard on himself.
he has a lot more in him and in the right environment he is still a star. It’s when he gets in his own head it goes south .
having said that he may just be mentally and physically tired

I

respectfully disagree. I think Ben is still elite look at origin 1 performance. to me he comes across as a perfectionist who is very hard on himself.
he has a lot more in him and in the right environment he is still a star. It’s when he gets in his own head it goes south .
having said that he may just be mentally and physically tired
He is not an elite half anymore Gardenia

Hooker yes

Feel for him

Am not criticising him

Just feel his mental health is more important than the money he can make by continuing his career.

Dragon David

First Grade
I just wonder how he would be running onto the pitch knowing that he is not the captain and having less responsibility and just play his natural game without the added pressure. This extra pressure that would be on his shoulder and in his head after all of the past years must add to not getting the best out of his games.

When Ben is on, he can be devastating and that is what he needs to bring back and just be himself without any burden or pressure.

Flanno should just have a man to man chat with him about the captaincy and give to someone else and see how Hunt goes these remaining games.

Latest posts