What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FACT - NRL is bigger than French Top 14 rugby union

Copa

Bench
Big difference in the LNR allows rich folk to throw money at will at the clubs and players..

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...t/bon-voyage-gaz-now-who-is-next/1060233.aspx

The Top 14 French first division - on the back of last year's Rugby World Cup - secured average crowds last year of 10,966, compared with the average NRL gate in 2007 of 15,751. In the external valuation of the competition, the situation is repeated. The LNR's television deal with Canal+ nets $45 million a year while the NRL's media rights deals - which have been subjected to continued criticism - are valued at about $85 million.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
very interesting. Shows that the NRL really needs to allow this to happen. Some clubs won't have that ability, but thats life. They will need to get guys in who can make that happen.

Calixte

First Grade
The crowd figures for the French union are greatly inflated.

People want to have a go at RL in this country! (Memo Tele)

Paris gave away 72,000 tickets for 4 games last year. That's per game. 8,000 payees and 72,000 freebies...

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
worst thing is that all the hysterical NRL is dying threads have thousands of replies while this has 4....

Check out the differences in the crowds this mob gets.

They certainly love the old union calculator.

http://www.lnr.fr/Client/asp/championnat/statsdyn/StatsStadetop14.asp?CleCompet=81150

I've never got an answer from any union fan as to why a team like Paris can get 70,000 once/twice maybe even 3 times a year, but the other 9/10 or 11 can only manage under 9,000 every time they play.

HevyDevy

Coach
That may be true but you all seem to be missing the point - all of the points made in regards to crowd figures, TV etc are irrelevant.

Our only concern in Australia is the fact that we are losing our top players. Whether it be to the ESL, the crappy French rugby union or a player that decides he wants to be a ballerina in Russia doesn't matter. If they're not playing in the NRL, they are a loss and that is the concern.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Do we really have to beat up on another sport because RL is floundering. The game will survive. So far 4 players have gone to French Rugby. The ESL is the major problem. Have a count of how many players there were once in our competition.
Don't lose sight of this because Rugby would not want our forwards, only our backs.
I love Rugby League and Rugby Union. The 2 are not mutually exclusive!

bartman

Immortal
very interesting. Shows that the NRL really needs to allow this to happen. Some clubs won't have that ability, but thats life. They will need to get guys in who can make that happen.
Why do we need to make our game a rich person's hobby? Just to keep greedy people like SBW playing in club colours here, when all they want (and ever will want) is more money... no thanks. I say let these players go - and force them to pay compensation for the contracts they break.

bartman

Immortal
Our only concern in Australia is the fact that we are losing our top players. Whether it be to the ESL, the crappy French rugby union or a player that decides he wants to be a ballerina in Russia doesn't matter. If they're not playing in the NRL, they are a loss and that is the concern.
We can never correct for the pure economics of the international monetary exchange rates.

We'd better get used to it, because league is currently being particularly afflicted by players, yes some of them stars, who are just greedy and more interested in money than anything else.

We can't magically make the Australian dollar worth more than the Euro or Pound, so we'd better just get something happening in our game that (most) players will want to keep playing it for. Pride, togetherness, enjoyment, rule changes etc... something, because the hope that we can magic money out of nowhere to correct all this is severely misguided.

eastsrule

Bench
We can never correct for the pure economics of the international monetary exchange rates.

We'd better get used to it, because league is currently being particularly afflicted by players, yes some of them stars, who are just greedy and more interested in money than anything else.

We can't magically make the Australian dollar worth more than the Euro or Pound, so we'd better just get something happening in our game that (most) players will want to keep playing it for. Pride, togetherness, enjoyment, rule changes etc... something, because the hope that we can magic money out of nowhere to correct all this is severely misguided.

Very good post.

HevyDevy

Coach

Yes I agree with your post as well Bartman - and Brett Finch's comments the other night are worrying. True and worrying.

Check out the differences in the crowds this mob gets.

They certainly love the old union calculator.

http://www.lnr.fr/Client/asp/championnat/statsdyn/StatsStadetop14.asp?CleCompet=81150

I've never got an answer from any union fan as to why a team like Paris can get 70,000 once/twice maybe even 3 times a year, but the other 9/10 or 11 can only manage under 9,000 every time they play.

that is truly bizzare. Are they paying people to turn up or something?!

surely the paris fans cant be that cheap that they will only turn up if given a freebie.

the other question is , how many free tickets are they giving away to get a crowd of 75K ? surely all the free ticket holders wouldnt turn up. I would have thought you would be lucky to get 50% of them.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
that is truly bizzare. Are they paying people to turn up or something?!

surely the paris fans cant be that cheap that they will only turn up if given a freebie.

the other question is , how many free tickets are they giving away to get a crowd of 75K ? surely all the free ticket holders wouldnt turn up. I would have thought you would be lucky to get 50% of them.

I think this will always remain in the same box as the X files ie, never answered :lol:

bartman

Immortal
Very good post.

Yes I agree with your post as well Bartman - and Brett Finch's comments the other night are worrying. True and worrying.

I've just finished reading Roy Masters article today, which is also basically saying that we must make the game more fun for players to play (and fans to watch), or these big earners with their short attention spans will just keep walking. It's a good read and insight into the Gaz/SBW approach to life/work/footy.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...e/2008/07/27/1217097059629.html?page=fullpage

Dogs Of War

Coach
Why do we need to make our game a rich person's hobby? Just to keep greedy people like SBW playing in club colours here, when all they want (and ever will want) is more money... no thanks. I say let these players go - and force them to pay compensation for the contracts they break.

There are many ways to fix these problems. One of them is to stop the restrictions on earning money outside the club. It's not about rich guys pitching in so much, as allowing players to earn there true value. It's only the stars that will see this money, but soon enough, considering the other money that comes into the game, we will see a reversal where players come to Australia to play. Making this once again the best Rugby arena to play in.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Do we really have to beat up on another sport because RL is floundering. The game will survive. So far 4 players have gone to French Rugby. The ESL is the major problem. Have a count of how many players there were once in our competition.
Don't lose sight of this because Rugby would not want our forwards, only our backs.
I love Rugby League and Rugby Union. The 2 are not mutually exclusive!

I hate rugby onion so I will beat it up! You have no idea have you what the Vichy b@stards did to the game in France?!