What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FACT - NRL is bigger than French Top 14 rugby union

Calixte

First Grade
Just in case you need reminding, the Rugby on Saturday drew a record crowd for a Fox show this year. We cant hide from this. RL needs to do something except no one knows what. By the way, calling people names says more about you than me.

:lol: In the words of Mr T "There is no "we", sucker..."

Yngwie_70

Juniors
:lol: In the words of Mr T "There is no "we", sucker..."

Why do you see someone who supports more than one sport a threat? Surely more than one sport can exist in this market place and if one cant it will surely lose popularity. This has always been the way. Look at Basketball. When Michael Jordan was playing every kid in the street had air Jordan shoes and the famous 23 Bulls singlet. Now they have lost three of their teams and lost relevance. This might happen to RL (very unlikely), RU ( more likely but not really). This will never befall AFL or football.

Calixte

First Grade
Why do you see someone who supports more than one sport a threat? Surely more than one sport can exist in this market place and if one cant it will surely lose popularity. This has always been the way. Look at Basketball. When Michael Jordan was playing every kid in the street had air Jordan shoes and the famous 23 Bulls singlet. Now they have lost three of their teams and lost relevance. This might happen to RL (very unlikely), RU ( more likely but not really). This will never befall AFL or football.

I don't hate other sports.

I just hate union and think people who follow it either don't know its history or have weak moral fibre for ignoring it.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
I don't hate other sports.

I just hate union and think people who follow it either don't know its history or have weak moral fibre for ignoring it.

Calixte, I love union, I love league, I love football. Personally, I dont care about the history of either code. I love the skills required to play them all. Whats so special about RL's history that sets it apart from Union or Soccer or AFL etc?

Calixte

First Grade
Name a sport that has tried to ban another separate and independent sport? And succeeded twice?

There is only one I know of...have a guess?

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Name a sport that has tried to ban another separate and independent sport? And succeeded twice?

There is only one I know of...have a guess?

So you must be female then because only they can hold grudges that long. Mate do you buy toyotas or BMW or GOLF or Mercedes or Adidas or Puma or whatever? They are German and Japanes but does that preclude you from buying their products.

Get Real Calixte!

So you must be female then because only they can hold grudges that long. Mate do you buy toyotas or BMW or GOLF or Mercedes or Adidas or Puma or whatever? They are German and Japanes but does that preclude you from buying their products.

Get Real Calixte!

yes , but we defeated the germans and japanese.

hard to hold a grudge against them considering we kicked their a*s :D

taipan

Referee

Get Real Calixte!

The only difference rugby union had a sport banned and then received rugby league's assets.Stolen goods .Like your house seized and handed over to a relative.You will think it is still wonderful decades down the line.
Sheesh.

blingblang

Juniors

Get Real Calixte!

Exactly we are talking about events from 60 years ago that are totally irrelevent to today. French Rugby League recovered from this and was the last team to beat the Mighty Roos in a Test series in 71 i believe. The demise of the game there since has nothing to do with Vichy. Wake up people!

Calixte

First Grade
Exactly we are talking about events from 60 years ago that are totally irrelevent to today. French Rugby League recovered from this and was the last team to beat the Mighty Roos in a Test series in 71 i believe. The demise of the game there since has nothing to do with Vichy. Wake up people!

You have no idea.

To start with, it was 1978 when the Kangaroos were defeated by France 2-0. (The 2005 Tri-Nations was Australia's last defeat in a tournament.)

French rugby league has STILL not been recompensed for its assets being stolen and given to union. That has ramifications to this very day in so far as the financial status of the French RL is concerned.

Anyone who cannot see that is either stupid or ignorant...

Calixte

First Grade

Get Real Calixte!

As perceptive as the rest of your post... :lol:

Yngwie_70

Juniors
As perceptive as the rest of your post... :lol:

I am not going to pretend to represent any body else here but to hate an entire sport because of something some French people did is the most insane thing I have ever heard. I dont know about the whole Vichy thing and I dont care. (Does anybody?). Both sports have their pros and cons and can coexist. But Geez Calixte, you have got to get let go mate, for your own sake. No sense in being all bitter and twisted about it.
You should be more bitter and twisted towards those who are destroying RL?

Calixte

First Grade
I am not bitter and twisted at all.

It is you that can't deal with the facts as they stand...but if you are a union fan, that is the bed you must lie in.

Stiff.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
I am not bitter and twisted at all.

It is you that can't deal with the facts as they stand...but if you are a union fan, that is the bed you must lie in.

Stiff.

I am a sport fan. Well played union is as enjoyable as well played league. Conversely, poorly played union is as boring as poorly played league. But, as a sports fan, at least Rugby has changed its laws to make it more interesting. I think RL needs to address some issues (such as tries from kicks that 6'5 wingers take and fall over and score). This needs to be looked at in both codes mind you.
But leave history alone. The more we learn form history is that we dont learn anything from history!

Calixte

First Grade
I am a sport fan. Well played union is as enjoyable as well played league. Conversely, poorly played union is as boring as poorly played league. But, as a sports fan, at least Rugby has changed its laws to make it more interesting. I think RL needs to address some issues (such as tries from kicks that 6'5 wingers take and fall over and score). This needs to be looked at in both codes mind you.
But leave history alone. The more we learn form history is that we dont learn anything from history!

That is hands down one of the worst and most incorrect posts I have ever seen here. Congratulations.

One sport has changed its rules to deliver a better spectacle since 1895; the other hasn't. You've got them around the wrong way.

Union trying to make itself look more like RL through the ELVs is what we call mimicry.

And your comments on history could inspire a week long conference. :lol:

Yngwie_70

Juniors
That is hands down one of the worst and most incorrect posts I have ever seen here. Congratulations.

One sport has changed its rules to deliver a better spectacle since 1895; the other hasn't. You've got them around the wrong way.

Union trying to make itself look more like RL through the ELVs is what we call mimicry.

And your comments on history could inspire a week long conference. :lol:

You know what Calixte, your right , you do have the answers for RL. Lets keep looking backwards at what the Vichy govt did to Rl. That will solve the problems of SBW leaving. zzzzzZZZZZZZ
I see positives in Rugby changing their rules. It WAS BORING!!!!!!!!! But, they changed. If you think RL is not getting BORING you are sadly delusional. I f Peter Sterling says watching the Melbourne Storm is BORING to watch what does that say about the state of the game at the moment. Wake up smell the napalm my friend. Changes need to be made for the sake of this great game.
But you can keep educating us about certain govts banned rugby league. Well boo hoo! Keep talking about it because someone might hear you!!!!!!!!

Calixte

First Grade
You know what Calixte, your right , you do have the answers for RL. Lets keep looking backwards at what the Vichy govt did to Rl. That will solve the problems of SBW leaving. zzzzzZZZZZZZ
I see positives in Rugby changing their rules. It WAS BORING!!!!!!!!! But, they changed. If you think RL is not getting BORING you are sadly delusional. I f Peter Sterling says watching the Melbourne Storm is BORING to watch what does that say about the state of the game at the moment. Wake up smell the napalm my friend. Changes need to be made for the sake of this great game.
But you can keep educating us about certain govts banned rugby league. Well boo hoo! Keep talking about it because someone might hear you!!!!!!!!

Certainly people like me will not be silenced by the likes of you.

That is what you would most like. No chance.

Also, the issues of French rugby league and rule changes to TGG are different ones.

Calixte

First Grade

I like how you also try to infer union has had one set of rule changes ever.

I think you missed the recent threads about union circa 1963 and the quality of games being trotted out around that time.

They were of course assisted by the union rule that the ball could be kicked out on the full from anywhere on the pitch. As a result one game of 80 minute union, in the Five Nations mind you, featured a wonderful 111 lineouts.

I think we will take consideration of our rules from areas other than union.

Latest posts