What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Famous Rugby League Quotes

Fairfax

Juniors
"He gave him a little stiffy", Rex Mossop, calling a high shot in the 1975 Grand Final between Easts and Saints.

sharkadelic said:
I remember during a reserve grade final that North Sydney won in the mid nineties (about 96), their captain ( i don't recall who it was) got up on the dias after the victory and his opening line was "Too Easy!!". The crowd booed for about three minutes.

Other faves;

"He is running on old legs, I am the man now" - Anthony Mundine on some guy called Laurie Daley.

"I haven't been this excited since the missus bought a french maid's outfit home" Shane Walker on being handed the Broncos captaincy, during the Origin Period.

"We're gonna rock tonight" Billy Idol, 2002 grand final.

"St George won 11 premierships with one Raper, imagine how Canterbury will go with 13" Darren Lockyer does his bit for Political correctness and sensitivity training in the NRL.

And My personal Fave - "Thanks Dude" - Brad Fittler, Australian Captain when presented with the Ashes from Prince Andrew.

"Thanks Dude" - Brad Fittler, Australian Captain when presented with the Ashes from Prince Andrew. What year was this?

"St George won 11 premierships with one Raper, imagine how Canterbury will go with 13" Darren Lockyer does his bit for Political correctness and sensitivity training in the NRL. Was this 2004?

sharkadelic

Juniors
Whenever Brad Fittler was last Kangaroos captain on ashes tour. Was it 2000? I will look into it....

Locky's little standup routine (which he did at some funraiser and had to later apologise) was 2004 after the Coffs Harbour scandal but before the Dogs actually winning the title.

sharkadelic said:
Whenever Brad Fittler was last Kangaroos captain on ashes tour. Was it 2000? I will look into it....

Locky's little standup routine (which he did at some funraiser and had to later apologise) was 2004 after the Coffs Harbour scandal but before the Dogs actually winning the title.

Thanks champ.

I have 51 that Im using at the moment and I just want to get them all in the right order.

Godz Illa

Coach
nospam49™ said:
Other quotes I wouldnt mind getting....Anthony Mundine quotes.
I like to think of myself as the resident Mundine historian. The below are all verbatim.

Choc: You guys wouldn't be here interviewing me if you didn't think it was an injustice. The way I feel is Chris Anderson and the selectors have their bunch and they dictate what goes on and who is in the team and who's not. Call it a dictatorship if you want. I dont feel that it's the form team or the best team on the paddock, you know, they have their boys. Like, for instance, Nathan Blacklock scored 24 tries this year, led the scoring in the finals series, the Dally M winger of the year. He wasn't chosen. Another one, David Peachey - he's been the most potent fullback this season. He stands out, above everyone I feel, and he wasn't chosen, and myself. And we're all Aboriginal and we're all proud.
Interviewer: You think you haven't been selected because of the colour of your skin?
Choc: Well, you can put one and one together. I'm sure you can. You're not silly.

Choc: Laurie Daley is running on old legs. I'm fresh. I've got young legs. It's time for the new generation brother. It's time for us to have a go. I want to be up against Laurie Daley as soon as possible

Interviewer: You've been quoted as saying you consider yourself champions. That last second try must still hurt.
Choc: Oh man, we know we had it, we know we blew it. That's why it's going to be a great game, great atmosphere. Hopefully the people can get there from down Melbourne and whoever's coming from Sydney and witness the grand final replay, hopefully in favour of the other side.
Interviewer: There's still a bit of speculation about the last minute try in the grand final. Have you had a chance to look at it over the off-season? Still go along with the ruling?
Choc: No, there's still a lot of questions about that game; a forward pass to Matt Geyer, the last try, very controversial. There's a lot of points you can put out, but you can't undo it. We've got to go down there and prove to them and ourselves and especially our fans, you know, we should be the number one team.
Interviewer: Do you still consider them worthy premiers given that it was a last minute try?
Choc: I dont really feel they deserved to win but they got the win. But we're going out on Friday night. Be a good match, that's what everyone's looking forward to.

Choc: At the end of the day they all know who 'The Man' is - the selectors, my rivals and the public. Fittler will be selected in the side because it is very hard to beat the golden boy. In reality I should be in the side. He would know that what we have going isn't a rivalry. I don't see it as a rivalry. He hasn't beaten me or outplayed me in the last five years. I have whipped him every time. Is he the benchmark for selection or not? By the selectors he has been considered the one for the job. If I beat him year after year, why isn't that rewarded? My so-called rivals have not come close to me. From 1996 to this year I have not been beaten. That is a complete domination. Is that a rivalry? I call it a mismatch. I have nothing personal against Fittler or anyone for that matter, I just don't like injustice being done.

and finally, after the Barry Ward "black merkin" incident...

Choc: We are setting a new standard. This kind of discrimination has been going on for 200 years and it's got to stop. Hopefully now my other brothers won't be afraid to speak out.

Keep fighting the good fight Choc.

Zack DLR

Juniors
" A lot of people dont like John Hopoate.... But i'm one of his lovers... "
- Max Krilich

" I guarantee you... superleague will not hurt rugby league.... it will only make the game stronger "
- Terry Lamb on the Superleague television advertising propaganda, 95 or 96.

" I played the game for 16 years and what have I got out of it? Nothing. "
- The Maggott of all maggots..... Mal Meninga.

brooksy19

Bench
'If the Wests Tigers think they're going to win football games by chancing their arm and throwing ball round like this their kidding themselves.' Cheif

GOLD!

The Whippet

Juniors
Here's a few:

"Back me or sack me" - Chris Anderson after the Sharks loss to the Raiders in 2003.

"He's off, he's off, he's off, he's off" - Shayne Hayne when sending David Peachey off in the Sharks biggest ever loss against Parramatta in 2003.

"Ken, Ken, Ken, Ken, Ken, Ken" - Ray Hadley addressing the head of Telstra Stadium management in 2005 on the Footy Show about the recent crowd behaviour at Bulldogs matches.

Chris Anderson came up with some good ones just before the end.

I remember him bagging Penrith, John Lang, Preston Campbell and Cronulla's "Losing" culture. A few of those quotes would be great if any Sharkies fans remember them.

Kid

Juniors
Touchy to ref: it's serious
Ref:whats that?
Touchy: it's serious, it's serious
Allan Langer: so it's serious then?

Kid

Juniors
Benny Elias trying to give Steve Walters a bit of a touch up at the scrum.

Walters: Fair go Benny, i have a test match to play next week.

Kid

Juniors
Tigger, Wests Tigers forum early 2005: Well another 12 months, another wasted year. When will you 'fans' learn that your merger has been falling apart since the day it started? I just can't see anyway that this is an improvement on even Western Suburbs's darkest days!!??

Oh and how good do the Balmain PL team look Yappy?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Kid said:

I don't like Steve Walters much but that's great stuff :lol: :lol:

junior009

Juniors
Kid said:

That was during a Tigers v Canberra game when Walters had been picked in the test team ahead of Benny. Benny was taking his time getting to a scrum and Walters said "hurry up Benny, I've got to play a test match next week"

Absolute GOLD!!!

Another good Brian Smith one is from a few weeks ago when he was asked about a team selection...he said, roughly "I'll talk to Peter Sharp(Asst Coach), Jason Taylor (PL coach) and then run it past my wife before naming the side"

something like that anyway

RABK

Referee
Jason Henrington on Darryl Halligans record 30 goal streak: "The way he's kicking them i'd hate to be his dog"

thuganomics

Coach
Can't see it mentioned:

"So your the next Peter Sterling" - Andrew Johns after Tim Smith kicked the ball out on the full. Round 20, 2005 - Parramatta vs Newcastle.

Latest posts