What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans get their game back

Perth Red

Post Whore
fantastic news! obviously there will be some issues but if done right RL will skyrocket in the next 10 years.

on a related note, now is the time for Perth to get their sh*t together. Missing out on 2013 would be disastrous.

Totally agree! I am hoping the silence out of the West is just a prelude for a big push starting with our pre season friendly in Feb. It's always hard to know what is going on behind the scenes and I wish the bid team would be a bit more pushy then they are at the moment.

Ulysseus

Bench
Good points here, though I can put up with Gallop and Love if it means the independent commission is delivered. Melbourne must be maintained. It's interesting to see the difference in language between the AFL and NRL when it comes to expansion. The $200 million AFL is prepared to spend on its loss making adventure in Western Sydney is regaded by that code as an "nvestment"in its future, it's never described as a loss. By contrast the relatively paltry $5 million it has cost to keep league going in Melbourne is always denigrated by us leaguies as some sort of terrible waste of money. At the very least the Storm's presence in Melbourne has helped deliver a fantastic new $200 million venue for rugby league in the southern capital -- and all paid for by the Victorian taxpayer!! In any event, if we don't have enough faith in oru game to believe inits future in one of Australia's richest sporting markets, we might as well all pack up now and revert to state-based competitions.

Also agree that at least one of the two new clubs must be in non-heartland area...preferrably Perth.

Mate, the loss was 6 million, and that was for one year, multiply that 6 million by 12 years and conveniently ignore that it was probably over 6 million in some years and you get $72,000,000 in losses for 12 years.
Exactly how that is an investment is beyond me, good luck to whoever buys it.
As for the venue, that does not mean jack sh*t, North Sydney got a new venue as well, didn't do them one iota of good, although they weren't protected and propped up like Melbourne.

Ulysseus

Bench
name a wannabe who'd make first grade?

I'm struggling to think of one.

Then again, RL is strong at many levels, particularly club level and SOO level, maybe not so much at international level.

Rugby union on the other hand, is an absolute joke at club level (Randwick versus University anyone?, crowds of less than 3K there) not much better at Super 14 level (which is an international comp anyway, not really club level or it would also suck dick) but beats us on the international stage due to the fact more countries play union than league.
BUT the only reason the game does any good is because they are having a test match, a bledisblow cup or whatever f**king trophy - match every 5 minutes.
If they had to rely on their club level games to get them by, they'd be elegantly screwed, I have literally seen more people turn up to watch Central Charlestown play South Newcastle then their were at a RU club level match.
The Newcastle Rugby League grand final draws a bigger crowd than the usual RU grand final, of which its mostly f**king University versus someone else anyway.

chrisc101

Juniors
Mate, the loss was 6 million, and that was for one year, multiply that 6 million by 12 years and conveniently ignore that it was probably over 6 million in some years and you get $72,000,000 in losses for 12 years.
Exactly how that is an investment is beyond me, good luck to whoever buys it.
As for the venue, that does not mean jack sh*t, North Sydney got a new venue as well, didn't do them one iota of good, although they weren't protected and propped up like Melbourne.

Yes but there are certain things which have made their existence near impossible. Number one being Olympic Park. Their financial position will change dramatically going foward with the new stadium. The comparison between this and the Northern Eagles is just stupid.

Ulysseus

Bench
Yes but there are certain things which have made their existence near impossible. Number one being Olympic Park. Their financial position will change dramatically going foward with the new stadium. The comparison between this and the Northern Eagles is just stupid.

So you are willing to bet me that they can turn it around and go from an annual 6 million dollar loss to a modest, lets say 2 million profit per year, operation within 5 years of News Ltd's funding drying up?

adamkungl

Immortal
So you are willing to bet me that they can turn it around and go from an annual 6 million dollar loss to a modest, lets say 2 million profit per year, operation within 5 years of News Ltd's funding drying up?

For the short term, Melbourne will have to scale back their expenditures from Brisbane levels (around $20 mil apparently) to somewhere around what most Sydney teams spend (<$15 mil). They will survive, no problems.

chrisc101

Juniors

And how many league clubs run at a $2 million dollar profit? Maybe the Broncos in a good year, that is about it. No but I am willing to bet that the gap will dramatically close.

Ulysseus

Bench
For the short term, Melbourne will have to scale back their expenditures from Brisbane levels (around $20 mil apparently) to somewhere around what most Sydney teams spend (<$15 mil). They will survive, no problems.

You are a man of greater faith than myself Mr Kungl.
Are you sure your faith isn't being misplaced.

I just struggle to see a self reliant future for them, maybe because they have had more than a decade to become self sufficient and have not.
Nothing is there to suggest this will change in the near, or later, future.

Lets be realistic here, without backing they would not have the money to pay their players.

chrisc101

Juniors

Stop on. Their football expenditure is the highest in the league.

Ulysseus

Bench
And how many league clubs run at a $2 million dollar profit? Maybe the Broncos in a good year, that is about it. No but I am willing to bet that the gap will dramatically close.

A few go quiet well actually, Parra had some losses in the last financial year because they have extensive property investments but when the market is on they make well over 2 million as a club.

Now stop dodging the bet :D
You either think they can make it on their own or you don't, and if they aren't making (ok I'll reduce the amount) a $500,000 profit, without backing, in 5 years after News's exit and maintaining it for a period of 2 years then they aren't surviving of their own accord.

chrisc101

Juniors
You are a man of greater faith than myself Mr Kungl.
Are you sure your faith isn't being misplaced.

I just struggle to see a self reliant future for them, maybe because they have had more than a decade to become self sufficient and have not.

Lets be realistic here, without backing they would not have the money to pay their players.

No misplaced faith at all, I hate them. But they are an illegitamate child which we can't do anything about and the greatest good for the game is for them to stay.

Yes and for the past decade they have play out of Olympic Park with a blank cheque for their football clubs costs. You change the ground they play at and their levels of spending and you will get a vastly different financial operating result.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Anyone looking out for NZ in this new structure?

Or will the dinosaurs vote to axe the Warriors and bring back Newton?

This could be just exchanging one sack of sh*t for another one that doesnt smell as bad.

ARL should have retained 50% control of the game. Country League and International League - get ready to be shafted.

chrisc101

Juniors
A few go quiet well actually, Parra had some losses in the last financial year because they have extensive property investments but when the market is on they make well over 2 million as a club.

Now stop dodging the bet :D
You either think they can make it on their own or you don't, and if they aren't making (ok I'll reduce the amount) a $500,000 profit, without backing, in 5 years after News's exit and maintaining it for a period of 2 years then they aren't surviving of their own accord.

Not dodging the bet!! I'm happy to say they will break even in the next 4 years.

adamkungl

Immortal

If News were willing to pour in the money, they would have been crazy not to spend it.

I see no reason why, if they are to have less money, they won't simply spend less.

westie

Bench
You guys aren't taking into account the amount of money Melbourne bring to the competition via TV rights and exposure. Nor are you realising the amount of money pumped into Victorian development via the Storm. Something most other clubs don't have on their balance sheets. They'll be far more of an asset to the competition than most once their new stadium starts bringing in the dollars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once they are on live FTA you will also see a big turn around. They must have to work very hard to bring in local sponsors with no TV coverage and such poor corporate facilities at OP. The fact they could realistically generate an extra 3-400,000 FTA viewers for any station wise enough to actually show the game into Vic must be worth a fair whack I'd of thought, both to the NRL and to the individual clubs through greater exposure of their sponsors into a wealthy large market.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Melbourne if run properly over the next 15 years will be the strongest RL club in the world. No denying the potiential of the Storm, but the Swans could potientially be the strongest AFL club in Australia. Difference is I think the mentalities of the 2 cities, Victorians seem more open then Sydney Siders about new sports.

russ13

First Grade
You guys aren't taking into account the amount of money Melbourne bring to the competition via TV rights and exposure. Nor are you realising the amount of money pumped into Victorian development via the Storm. Something most other clubs don't have on their balance sheets. They'll be far more of an asset to the competition than most once their new stadium starts bringing in the dollars.

Thank goodness someone mentioned this.

Anyway, what proof do we have that the Storm or their onwers are losing 6 million a year. The owner of the Storm (News Corp) also own 25% (I think) of the Pay Tv provider Foxtel.

It is my understanding that Foxtel are making a motza out the subscriber audience (& advertising) that NRL games bring to the provider. See here:

MEDIA RELEASE- 24 May 2009​
1​
Record Audience for National Rugby League on STV​
Live coverage on FOX Sports of the Saturday night National Rugby League game,​
Live: NRL Bulldogs v Storm

gave the code its biggest audience ever on subscription TV with 359,000 viewers. In other sport in week...

# Highest STV Program Broadcast Channel Day Time
B/cast
Only
B/cast &
Plus2
Total
STV
Reach
(000s)​
1​
LIVE: NRL BULLDOGS V STORM Fox Sports 2 Sat 19:30 359 359 1,497 687

2​
LIVE: NRL SHARKS V DRAGONS Fox Sports 2 Sat 17:30 336 336 1,372 693

3​
LIVE: NRL STORM V RAIDERS Fox Sports 2 Mon 19:00 271 271 1,347 619

4​
LIVE: AFL ST KILDA V ESSENDON Fox Sports 1 Sun 16:30 256 256 1,283 701

5​
LIVE: NRL SEA EAGLES V EELS Fox Sports 2 Sun 14:00 223 223 1,205 416

6 AUSTRALIA'S NEXT TOP MODEL FOX8 Tue 19:33 215 290 1,296 713
7​
LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V CARLTON Fox Sports 1 Sat 15:00 199 199 1,411 585

8 FAMILY GUY FOX8 Thu 18:45 175 231 961 1,239
9​
LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V COWBOYS Fox Sports 2 Sun 12:00 161 161 1,016 330

10​
LIVE: AFL WEST COAST V COLLINGWOOD Fox Sports 1 Sat 19:30 160 160 1,451 608

11​
LIVE: AFL PORT ADELAIDE V RICHMOND Fox Sports 1 Sun 13:00 155 155 1,178 483

12​
NRL PANTHERS V ROOSTERS Fox Sports 2 Sat 21:20 153 153 1,295 464

13 THE SIMPSONS FOX8 Thu 19:11 149 197 1,090 2,008
14​
AMERICAN IDOL GRAND FINAL FOX8 Thu 19:37 143 175 1,258 788

15 FUTURAMA FOX8 Thu 18:18 143 200 863 1,159
16 LIVE: NRL SATURDAY PRE GAME SHOW Fox Sports 2 Sat 16:55 133 133 1,464 242​
17 SELLING HOUSES AUSTRALIA Lifestyle Wed 19:30 126 203 1,243 677

Get more results here:

http://www.astra.org.au/news_archive.asp

maccattack

Juniors
Rugby League will be left behind. In 20 years time we will have not moved too much from where we are now if at all. All the other codes will have grown and league will have not. Population growth into other area of Australia will mean the likes of vic rules will havelarge supporter bases in all the main population areas of the country and Rugby League will still have 2. Adelaide and Perth will eventually be as big as Sydney and Brisbane and we wont have a presence there.

16 clubs given all this power will mean the death of SOO. Not immediately but eventually. Just watch as we see a trickle of excuses why such and such player isnt available until its a flood.

Once upon a time players would lie their backsides off and cover up injuries to get on a Kangaroo tour. Not so now. Sure its still prestigious but players arent busting their balls to get on the plane. Origin will go the same way.

The once great and glorious game that defined and epitomised the Australian character will be a shadow of its former self.

Or am I being alarmist?

Jankuloski

Juniors
You're being pesimistic. You're alarmist when you actually alarm someone...

Soo.. what's stopping the clubs now from witholding a player from origin or tests?

Latest posts