What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans get their game back

Quidgybo

Bench
(and like a previous poster I'd love to know how the heck the Storm actually can be over spent by that much).
I think it was Peter Homes a Court who pointed out that teams like the Broncos are spending something like $20m per year on football operations and the back office at a time when Souths were only spending $12m. Presumably the Storm are spending closer to $20m per year than $12m which might also explain why the team has won three premierships and been pretty consistently in the eight for the last decade while Souths have not. But while they might be spending to match the Broncos, as a frontier market they can't come anywhere close to matching them in revenue. Hence the $6m shortfall.

Even in the age of the salary cap, you still need to be able spend competitively on everything else to ensure the playing talent can reach its potential. If you want a successful team in Melbourne, and News Ltd most certainly wanted that, then you need to pay for it. Up to this point they have been. Now the question is where to from here? Is another owner going to put the money in? Is central funding from grants going to increase to cover it? Are gate takings at the new stadium going to increase to cover it? Or do we have to cut costs perhaps at the expense of the team's on field success and status within the game? I'd suggest we're probably going to see some combination of all of those before things settle.

If you want the Reds to be as competitive on the field as the Storm have been consistently from day one then don't delude yourself that it won't take similar sort of money.

Leigh.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ssioners-before-bowing-out-20091130-k1an.html

News, ARL to pick commissioners before bowing out
BRAD WALTER AND GREG PRICHARD
December 1, 2009

THE last act of News Ltd and the ARL before handing over control of the game to the clubs will be to choose the eight members of the new independent commission, which will be headed by ARL chairman Colin Love.

The revelation comes as former NRL chairman John Chalk hit back at accusations the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues were obstacles to the formation of the independent commission and said Love was the right man to be the first chairman of the new body set to take over the running of the game before next season.

There is even speculation that negotiations could be finalised as soon as next week and momentum for change has gathered such pace in the past week that some officials close to the negotiations are predicting it will happen by the end of the year.

However, it is expected to take two years before the new body is truly independent as Love will oversee a transition period that involves News Ltd and the ARL selecting the other seven directors to sit on the inaugural commission.

After that, the 16 clubs will nominate and vote for the eight independent commissioners, who must receive 75 per cent support to be appointed.

Initially, News Ltd and the ARL will each nominate four candidates, who must have no affiliation to News Ltd, the ARL or any club. The other organisation must then agree.

With so many people from outside the game being appointed to the commission, which will effectively replace the NRL partnership committee that met yesterday for possibly the last time, Chalk said Love's experience would be invaluable.

''As far as Colin Love goes, he would be an excellent choice as chairman,'' said Chalk, who is a member of the NRL, ARL and NSWRL boards. ''He's already in a position of great responsibility anyway, as a member of the NRL partnership committee. He hasn't gone out there and pursued the job - it's only natural he is being considered.

''Colin knows the ins and outs of the league's television deals, and he did a great job running the World Cup last year - so much so that his business suffered because of the amount of time he dedicated to the tournament. He isn't tied to any club, so he would be genuinely independent - and if you're going to have an independent commission, you've got to be careful not to include people who might have conflicts of interest.''

Chalk, who is one of the game's most experienced administrators, said officials who would have to relinquish various degrees of power for the commission to be formed merely wanted to see it done right.

''The people on these boards are not standing in the way of this happening,'' Chalk said. ''But no-one is going to say yes if what they see put in front of them is bullsh*t. It's a huge move for the game, and they just want to be sure it's done correctly.

''The good thing is that people are willing it to happen - if it's done right. It's what the game needs. There is too much competition out there for rugby league now - we have to be fair dinkum about what needs to be done.''

Chalk also said descriptions of long-serving league officials as ''blazer-wearers'' who didn't want to give up perks for the good of the game were disrespectful and insulting.

''We're talking about a wide variety of people who have worked hard for the game and done tremendous things for it,'' he said. ''They don't sit around - they've got a lot of drive and they use it on behalf of the game.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...mmission-will-run-the-game-20091130-k18g.html

How the commission will run the game
December 1, 2009

With the game set to enter its biggest structural change since Super League, Brad Walter answers some of the main questions.

Q
How will having an independent commission run the game be different to the current structure?
A

At present the NRL is run by a partnership committee, comprising three representatives each from News Ltd and the ARL. Under the proposed changes, News Ltd will exit the game and the ARL will cease to exist. In their places will be a new board of eight independent commissioners eventually to be appointed by the 16 premiership clubs. The changes will give the clubs a far greater influence over the running of the game. Commissioners will be responsible for funding the ''whole'' of the game from grassroots to international league. The game of rugby league will effectively be handed back to the people 10 years after the Super League war was resolved.
Q

What will the new body be called and will the NRL exist?
A

The ARL may effectively be dead but its name will live on, as the new body is set to be called the Australian Rugby League commission. As the changes are yet to occur, it may be easier to maintain the NRL name and branding for next season's premiership but to do so is likely to create confusion and give the impression that there are more administrative layers - not fewer.
Q

Will the NSWRL and QRL survive and why?
A

It is difficult to organise volunteers at grassroots level from head office so the NSWRL and QRL will continue to run state competitions and oversee development programs, as well as State of Origin. However, rather than the ARL receiving an annual funding grant from the NRL and then splitting it among the other RLs, all bodies will have to make application to the independent commission. The new body will be non-profit and will spread whatever money the game makes among the stakeholders.
Q

Will the clubs continue to support State of Origin?
A

Origin is considered the jewel in the crown and the more money the game generates, the more there is for everyone so it is in the interest of the clubs that the interstate series not only survives, but thrives. Therefore, the NSWRL and QRL will continue to be responsible for selecting the coaches, management and players but all revenue raised from Origin will now go into the pot to be re-distributed where the commission considers it most beneficial.
Q

Who will sit on the independent commission and how will they be chosen?
A

Initially, it is proposed that News Ltd and the ARL will each nominate commissioners, who have to be accepted by the other party. Aside from ARL chairman Colin Love, who will oversee the transition phase for the first two years, the other seven commissioners must have no affiliation to either the ARL, News Ltd or any club. After that the commissioners will be nominated by the 16 clubs and must receive 75 per cent backing to be appointed.
Q

What names have been mentioned and is it possible to find enough independent candidates?
A

You only have to go to a league function to realise how many business and professional people support the game and these are the type of people that will be targeted. It is OK for them to support a team but not to be involved in any official capacity. Some of the names mentioned include BHP Billiton chairman Don Argus, Harvey Norman managing director Katie Page, former Qantas boss Geoff Dixon, his successor Gary Pemberton and Wizard founder Mark Bouris.
Q

Will they be responsible for rules changes and other on-field issues?
A

The administration, to be headed by current NRL chief executive David Gallop, will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the game, leaving the commission to focus on the big picture issues such as negotiating rights deals for television and new media.
Q

Will the next television deal in 2013 be bigger than the current one?
A

The NRL predict the next television deal will generate record revenue for the game but under an independent commission clubs believe they can do better as News Ltd will not be sitting on both sides of the negotiating table as part owner of the game and broadcaster. It is also intended to sell the rights to State of Origin, Test matches and the premiership separately in the belief that they will generate more money.
Q

When will any new teams be introduced to the competition?
A

It is not envisaged that the number of teams will be expanded beyond 16 until the television deal after the next one, likely to be in 2017, unless it can be proven that more teams will generate more money. By then, the Storm will either be financially viable or a decision will have to be made on whether it is worthwhile persevering with a team in Melbourne. All such decisions will be made by the independent commission.
Q

Will there be an increase in the salary cap?
A

As the revenue generated by the game increases it is expected that the pay packets of the elite players will also increase. That is one reason why expansion is off the agenda for now as it is considered more important to ensure the current stars are paid enough to dissuade them from accepting big money offers from rugby union, Super League and even AFL.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It sounds dodgy to have the ARL and News pick the commissioners, but the fact that no commissioner can have any affiliation with either party and must be approved by both the ARL and News is a good safety net.

So far I am very happy with the set up of this commission, but I would love to see the QRL and NSWRL state comps run by the commission.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-structure-right/story-e6frg7o6-1225805497354

QRL supports independent governing body if structure right

* Dan Koch
* December 01, 2009 12:00AM

QUEENSLAND Rugby League boss Ross Livermore has angrily denied suggestions his board was acting against the best interests of the game in order to protect a war chest of about $7 million.

And he has vowed to support the creation of an independent body to govern the game provided the structure was right.

The brainchild of Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle, the commission would assume overall control of the game from the Australian Rugby League and News Limited, publisher of The Australian, which is looking to remove itself from the game.

Under the current proposal, which has the support of the New South Wales Rugby League, the Country Rugby League and all 16 NRL clubs, the commission would comprise eight independent directors.

However, as revealed in The Australian yesterday, the QRL, led by board member John Ribot, wants the right to nominate half of the new panel.

The QRL has also raised concerns over the impact the commission would have on representative football, though Searle yesterday dismissed claims State of Origin and Test football, and development at the grassroots level, would become secondary interests to those of the clubs.

Livermore, though, was far from convinced and said there was still much that needed to be discussed before the QRL supported the change.

"I have always said we supported the notion of having an independent authority to oversee the game, provided the structure was right," Livermore said.

"But we haven't even begun to think about that because we have not had discussions with anyone regarding this proposal."

Searle would not be drawn into a slanging match, but did point out all discussions thus far had involved representatives from both News Ltd and the ARL, and had progressed well. There was, however, some concern from others within the pro-commission camp that the QRL could stall what many see as the most significant step in the running of the game in 100 years, given the way the game is thriving in the Sunshine State under the current system.

Since hostilities in the Super League War ceased, the NSWRL has seen its bank account tumble from a high of around $30m to almost zero.

Several of its clubs are battling financially while the Sharks and Newcastle are in dire straits.

Over the same period of time, rugby league in Queensland has flourished to the point where the QRL is understood to currently boast a bank balance of more than $7m.

While he would not comment on that specific situation, Searle said one of the key benefits of having a single authority was the chance to centralise all revenue streams and ensure it was distributed on a needs basis.

As for the notion clubs may use the formation of the commission to withdraw their support of player development and their current commitment to representative football, Searle said it was an argument that simply defied logic.

"The QRL and NSWRL will retain full control over every managerial aspect of State of Origin football," Searle said.

"It is our game's showpiece and that won't change. There is a complete commitment from the clubs to representative football, just as there is at present.

"The fact is if clubs wanted to pull their support from rep footy, they would have done it by now. But everyone in the game knows how important it is to our game in terms of both the quality of our product and of course, financially.

"As for clubs pulling out of player development, that's ridiculous. That's like a cane farmer going out and laying concrete on his fields.

"It doesn't make sense. If anything, I would have thought this may enable clubs to do even more work with growing the game at the grassroots."

El Diablo

Post Whore
However, as revealed in The Australian yesterday, the QRL, led by board member John Ribot, wants the right to nominate half of the new panel.

just f**k off and die already you parasite

TimmyB

Juniors
Q

Will there be an increase in the salary cap?
A

As the revenue generated by the game increases it is expected that the pay packets of the elite players will also increase. That is one reason why expansion is off the agenda for now as it is considered more important to ensure the current stars are paid enough to dissuade them from accepting big money offers from rugby union, Super League and even AFL.

I am very much in favour of expansion, but if it doesn't occur, this will certainly be a blessed thing. Depending on the increase in the salary cap, there may be a time when we can start poaching union players again.

Now THAT would be fun.

El Diablo

Post Whore
there may be a time when we can start poaching union players again.

what use would a yawnion player be :?

boggerball players are even less skilled so we'd never poach them

TimmyB

Juniors
"The QRL and NSWRL will retain full control over every managerial aspect of State of Origin football," Searle said.

"It is our game's showpiece and that won't change. There is a complete commitment from the clubs to representative football, just as there is at present.

"The fact is if clubs wanted to pull their support from rep footy, they would have done it by now. But everyone in the game knows how important it is to our game in terms of both the quality of our product and of course, financially.

"As for clubs pulling out of player development, that's ridiculous. That's like a cane farmer going out and laying concrete on his fields.

"It doesn't make sense. If anything, I would have thought this may enable clubs to do even more work with growing the game at the grassroots."

To be honest, I think Searle is missing the point here. That may be the situation as it currently stands. There needs to be a safety net. The prospect of privatised clubs, with a goal of profit, eventually running the game is terrifying.

TimmyB

Juniors
what use would a yawnion player be :?

boggerball players are even less skilled so we'd never poach them

Payback.

Before anyone points it out, I know rugby league poached union players historically. The difference is, we did it to strengthen our sport, not to weaken theirs. The theft of Sailor, Rogers, Tuqiri and Tahu was targeted and had nothing to do with success.

I'd like to cripple that disgrace of a sport. I dream of the day rugby league is big enough in this country to crush it like an ant.

TimmyB

Juniors
Giteau. Other than that, I'm not sure there is one.

If we had the cash, I'd be willing to pay them to sit on the sidelines.

Like I said, I want to bury that code.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Payback.

Before anyone points it out, I know rugby league poached union players historically. The difference is, we did it to strengthen our sport, not to weaken theirs. The theft of Sailor, Rogers, Tuqiri and Tahu was targeted and had nothing to do with success.

I'd like to cripple that disgrace of a sport. I dream of the day rugby league is big enough in this country to crush it like an ant.

Thats a very self centered view on it. From a Rah Rah point of view, perhaps they were trying to improve their sport aswell.

What damage did taking Schifoske (what ever) and Cross do to League, really?

Really, Hunt to AFL, Sailor, Tuquiri, Rogers and Tahu to Union is the same as Dally Messenger to League.

TimmyB

Juniors
What I was getting at, is that players like Sailor, Tuqiri and Rogers weren't signed to improve the on field performances of the Wallabies, but to attract publicity by leveraging off Rugby League. As for Cross & Schifcofske (& McLinden), did you maybe think that there was a reason I didn't mention them? I don't regard them in the same category as the aforementioned signings.

Signings like Price & O'Connor are not analogous to these signings. They WERE about improving the performance of their respective clubs.

You make a fair point about Messenger. However, I don't know how Rugby League behaved in the aftermath of his signing. It was the conduct of the ARU (in particular that smarmy prick John O'Neil) that I found particularly iresome.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I can promise you, if League ever got to the point where we could poach Matt Giteau and Dan Carter, we would and we would all be laughing at Union and basking in our superiority. All sports are the same.

Brutus

Referee
What I was getting at, is that players like Sailor, Tuqiri and Rogers weren't signed to improve the on field performances of the Wallabies, but to attract publicity by leveraging off Rugby League. As for Cross & Schifcofske (& McLinden), did you maybe think that there was a reason I didn't mention them? I don't regard them in the same category as the aforementioned signings.

Signings like Price & O'Connor are not analogous to these signings. They WERE about improving the performance of their respective clubs.

Some great points there. Spot on.

adamkungl

Immortal
fantastic news! obviously there will be some issues but if done right RL will skyrocket in the next 10 years.

on a related note, now is the time for Perth to get their sh*t together. Missing out on 2013 would be disastrous.