What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fantastic Story on 6:30 George Negus - Awra El Masri

Hindyscrack

Bench
Great story, the El Masris are excellent ambassadors for Rugby League. They come across as smart, educated and articulate people and represent the inclusiveness of the game.

Even as an eels fan I'd love to see Hazem have a higher profile with the NRL. The kind of person we need if we want the game to move up another level in the sporting landscape.

Danish

Referee
Just when I was wondering where I'd get my next dose of poorly veiled uneducated racism.

You might want to go back to whoever taught you about the term "racism" and bash them over the head with a dictionary a few times

I love poor attempts at intellectual superiority by people which can't even grasp such simple concepts as the difference between religion and race

gUt

Coach
Islam has really pulled off a neat trick when any criticism of its barbaric practices is so easily branded as 'racism'. No woman 'chooses' to wear head coverings (or worse) in a vacuum. The 'reason' for the garment is religion and religion alone. To pretend otherwise is laughable. Having said that I think it's wrong to ban it like the French did.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Islam has really pulled off a neat trick when any criticism of its barbaric practices is so easily branded as 'racism'. No woman 'chooses' to wear head coverings (or worse) in a vacuum. The 'reason' for the garment is religion and religion alone. To pretend otherwise is laughable. Having said that I think it's wrong to ban it like the French did.
Some Australians rape and murder women. Does that mean all of us should be judged by that minority? Some NRL players have done some pretty disgusting things, should the entire NRL be judged because of a minoritys actions?

Is the garment a religious garment? Yes it is. But not all muslim women wear one, and those that do, only a very very very small minority wear the complete covering known as the Burka. Infact I believe the number is as small as just several hundred in Australias entire muslim population. The scarves that the bigger portion of Muslim women wear, like Mrs El Masri, are little different to a normal scarf lots of women wear often enough.

I don't see how that comes under 'barbaric'. A small portion of one community chooses to wear a particular item of clothing. What's the big deal? It's hardly 'barbaric'.

And of the muslim women that do wear some kind of scarf, the vast majority of those women are not forced to by anyone else.

And moving on from scarves and onto the wider issue. Do a small portion of muslims believe in terrorism? Yes they do, but every religion and every country has it's fair share of crazies. Ask someone whose Irish, very recently there was plenty of blue eyd white anglos like you and I running around blowing shit up in the name of religion. They did not represent all christians.

gUt

Coach
About half of your post has nothing to do with what I posted so I dunno why you bothered quoting me.

I am not anti-Muslim but I am anti-Islam and anti-religion in general. The monotheisms are all as bad as each other imo but we happen to live in a place and in a period of history where religion is not the alpha and omega. Be thankful for that.

I have NEVER seen any woman apart from a Muslim wearing a head scarf. Maybe in the 1950s it was popular or fashionable but in Brisbane it's generally too f**king hot to cover up in that way. Some women don't have the choice not to though - it's barbaric.

Do you think that if Islam (or any religion) had control of our society that they wouldn't FORCE us to conform to its norms? We are progressive and liberal enough to welcome all cultures and religions into our country and to learn about them and that's a good thing. But I reserve the right to call a spade a spade.

Your a d**khead

Why the fuss.
I don't care what the bloke is like personally - he is a lifelong member of a scumbag club and therefore is scum himself.
I couldn't give a shit what religion he is. He played for the Bulldogs.....that's enough for me to hate him.

For f**k sake, the crap that gets thrown around here about players like Jamie Soward, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan, Billy Slater or Cameron Smith (pretty much the whole Melbourne team really) is pretty damn harsh......but you say one little thing about Hazem El Masri and some douche like you or BunniesMan has a f**king hissy fit.

Raider_69

Post Whore

Perhaps you should invest sometime into speaking to some of these women, instead of spewing hatred. My partner worked within bankstown area and spent a lot of time with muslim women, as per work functions i did too, and my experience tells me you probably havent ever spoken to a muslim about the issue.

The vast majority wear it because they are people of faith and as part of their faith and culture it is a requirement. They are happy to do so and want to do so because it is part of their beliefs and culture.
Not because some over zealous man forces them too. Most muslim men, like any other are kind, caring decent men who love their wives and offer them the same freedoms as you or i would offer our partners. It is the women's choice to wear it or not.

Similarly, my partner doesnt dress like a s**t, i encourage her not to dress like a s**t, but ultimately its her choice what she wears. Just part of that oppressive regime at the Raider 69 household :roll:

Seriously this thread is a poster child for ignorance.
If you dont like Islam for its barbaric practises in law then say so, i certain dont like it on those merits. But to try and claim these people are some kind of barbarian terrorists for wearing a scarf... ignorance at its finest. Turn off 2GB and try thinking for yourself

Its an indictment on those redneck hicks commenting here that BunniesMan is a voice of reason in this discussion.

Raider_69

Post Whore
We are progressive and liberal enough to welcome all cultures and religions into our country and to learn about them and that's a good thing. But I reserve the right to call a spade a spade.

Unless they wear a head dress, right?

As for calling a spade a spade, i too reserve the right to do so and im doing so in this instance by saying you are an ignorant redneck, who clearly isnt liberal enough to welcome all cultures and religions and you certainly havent taken the time to learn about this one.
Perhaps you should pedel your wears at the 2GB forum, where the crowd is more suited to your backward beliefs

What do you think of the kippah?

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

Bench
But I reserve the right to call a spade a spade.

As do we all.

The ignorance and intolerance of you and others shown in this thread is quite remarkable, given that in your words Australia is such a "progressive" and "liberal" country.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I saw two nuns at the hospital the other day. It was 34 degrees and they had the full get up on - the habit, skirt to the ankles, stiff shirt to the wrist. I concluded that all Christians are terrorists and Jesus is a merkin.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Why the f**k do moderators let proper threads get trolled by idiots who aren't even trying to pretend they're not trolling
Well the irony of that statement coming from yourself isn't lost on me.

But Danish, you should have just started a thread about it in 4C. There's an abundance of narrow-minded bigots who'll come out the woodwork to support you there, and I'm sure you would have been delighted.

Unfortunately, this thread has been well and truly hijacked. Could have been a good one too.