What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell Trent Barrett

Wobbygong

First Grade
Please never compare Barrett to Mundine, one never showed his best but remained loyal for 13 years, the other walked out on the club and its supporters mid season lollypop in mouth.

Mr Saab

Referee
Best memories of Trent is carving the broncos up last yr and scoring that 50m try, running around Hunt.
His last minute try vs the eels in 1997 to end the Eels 11 game win streak. Freak try (cost my friend's brother 37k in pick the margins, he doesnt like him)
His comment to the ref that Wes doesnt know the rules in relation to his trip...still funny to this day

kbw

Bench
I thought that Barrett was a talent that really never produced. Some of that was injury some well, I think there is a lot of vacant space up there between the ears.
I will say that he did have one of his best years last year in my opinion, and handled the Mundine "Im the best 5/8 in the world game" pretty well.

I am not trying to get people angry as I don't mind the Saints and have admired several of their players, but I never liked him over the last few years. Lately his diving tactics annoyed the crap out of me and I grouped him with a few other St George players I label the "big heads". They are only doing it for themselves and not for the club. While its only my perception I think when some of these are removed, you club will do extremely well.

Red Bear

Referee
Sad he's going, an excellent player. Always did his best while on thefield for your club and i doubt he actually wanted to suffer the injury toll he has. Good luck to him in England

Slippery Morris said:
Well said Willow and Gregstar.

Baz has been awesome at the Dragons and as I said many times could of left them when he was being forced to play at 1/2 back for a selfish idiot. But he stayed on and won daly M when he regained his spot which showed what a class act he was. I am sure Dragons would of won the 1999 GF if we stuck with Baz at 5/8 and Rodwell at 1/2 as they had the class and were team players.
Pure unadulterated bollocks.

jeffrosaint

Bench
I like Barrett a lot & it won't seem the same without him with us next year but to say we would have won in 99 if he was 5/8 & Rodwell 1/2 is laughable. If not for Mundine's awesome 2nd half against the sharks in the semi we would not have even made the GF. That effort from Mundine will live with me for many a year...One of the all time amazing effort's of an individual player I can recall. In saying that, I will miss Baz & wish him all the best.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Sorry for barging in like this but I'm just gonna say that I've been a fan of Barret's since his Illawarra days. Growing up on the South Coast I just loved watching him play. Although I've always been a Knights fan I've always had a soft spot for the Illawarra boys, especially Trent. Good luck to him.

Father Ted

First Grade
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
Pure unadulterated bollocks.

If Mundine hadn't played 5/8th the game before against the scum we wouldn't have even made the grand final .

drake

First Grade
Father Ted said:
If Mundine hadn't played 5/8th the game before against the scum we wouldn't have even made the grand final .
Imagine what we could have acheived if Choc hadn't kicked us all in the guts and left halfway through the season to fight patsies for big dollars!

The Mundine/ Barrett combination was great, no doubt. Too bad ego got in the way and it never came to full fruition.

Dragooner

Bench
We'll miss Baz, but everyone knew it was coming. However this gives us more money to offer to Gaz. He never got to his best. He would be great but could never reach his full potential. He's given me plenty of good memories.

I can't get over this thread. So many opposition fans are actually saying nice things. There's Canberra fans, Knights fans and even Bears supporters (where's there team?)!!

For Baz's sake I hope Wigan don't get relegated. Would do a David Peachey if Wigan get relegated.

We'll miss u Baz.

Father Ted

First Grade
Saint Dragon said:
We'll miss Baz, but everyone knew it was coming. However this gives us more money to offer to Gaz. He never got to his best. He would be great but could never reach his full potential. He's given me plenty of good memories.

I can't get over this thread. So many opposition fans are actually saying nice things. There's Canberra fans, Knights fans and even Bears supporters (where's there team?)!!

For Baz's sake I hope Wigan don't get relegated. Would do a David Peachey if Wigan get relegated.

We'll miss u Baz.

Wouldn't be surprised if Baz has a get out clause with Wigan . LOL

Hutty1986

Immortal
Geez, I shoukd have been doing my uni assessment rather than listening live on the radio as Baz threw 78 forward passes.... and Gaz may be badly injured

Hollywood

Juniors
You look at Canberra who punch well above their weight, and make a mockery of where the Dragons sit on the ladder compared to them. We have 5 or so internationals, and several other origin players, almost all of Canberra's players on reputation could only make premier league if you compared the two sides, yet we perform so poorly in relation to them.

There is no confidence, spirit, passion or heart at all.....it's all too frequent.

It could get worse for us next week...we playe the Warriors I believe, we it's certain around 50% of our side atleast will be backing up from City v Country...only 24 hours after.....where as the Warriors are bound to have at most only 1 or 2 in that rep game.....

gee, we really don't know how to seize the moment do we?

I'm losing patience now

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hutty1986 said:
Looks like Gaz is out for next week.. just keeps getting better and better
I heard that from Brown on the ABC as well. He also said Head is out for a few more weeks yet.

Note the irony that Barrett has apparently pulled up without injury.

Southernsaint

Staff member
drake said:
I'm getting the feeling you don't like ol' Trent SS.

Just curious; did you ever like him, or was it after he took over as 5/8th?

I know you've been very critical as long as I've been a member here, to the point where when you say he had a good game, I think he must have played a cracker. Just interested to know why you don't like the guy.

I've been critical of him because he hasn't done anything to deserve the big raps and media attention he gets.

I feel that my opinion of Barrett has been justified on today's pea hearted performance...

drake

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
I've been critical of him because he hasn't done anything to deserve the big raps and media attention he gets.

I feel that my opinion of Barrett has been justified on today's pea hearted performance...

Have to agree there mate.