What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell Wonny . . . .

Gareth67

First Grade
Sad news with the passing of one of the games best commentators and all round nice guy - Ron Casey .
Ron was indeed a most interesting man whom not only done his bit for rugby league but also was a commentator for the legendary - T.V. Ringside . Who can forget his ' on-air ' biff with the singer on channel 9 one day when Ronny was insulted and was shoved by that long haired hippie Normie Rowe . Of course Ronny retaliated in the true Irish way by landing one right on the beggars nose ! Great memories from him and I am sure that his name will live on - rest easy Ron .

denis preston

First Grade
Sad news with the passing of one of the games best commentators and all round nice guy - Ron Casey .
Ron was indeed a most interesting man whom not only done his bit for rugby league but also was a commentator for the legendary - T.V. Ringside . Who can forget his ' on-air ' biff with the singer on channel 9 one day when Ronny was insulted and was shoved by that long haired hippie Normie Rowe . Of course Ronny retaliated in the true Irish way by landing one right on the beggars nose ! Great memories from him and I am sure that his name will live on - rest easy Ron .

Wrong Won Gareth. Ron Casey did TV ringside for channel 7 from Festival Hall in Melbourne.Sydney Won did ( Fight night ? ) from Blacktown Workers with Dick Healy . Yes certainly a character and a product of what you could get away with in the 60's & 70's ( political incorrectness , no talent or specialty on what he was commenting on ! ) Gone to join Frank & Mike Gibson like the good old days.

Gareth67

First Grade
Wrong Won Gareth. Ron Casey did TV ringside for channel 7 from Festival Hall in Melbourne.Sydney Won did ( Fight night ? ) from Blacktown Workers with Dick Healy . Yes certainly a character and a product of what you could get away with in the 60's & 70's ( political incorrectness , no talent or specialty on what he was commenting on ! ) Gone to join Frank & Mike Gibson like the good old days.

Ooops ! Your correct denis , from memory a dark haired chap . Still as you have said he did do the call from Blacktown Workers ( perhaps an even tougher venue ) , I enjoyed him more than Rex Mossop .

Old Timer

Coach
Ron was an excellent swimmer and swim coach having won state titles.
I remember back in the early 70's he used to visit and help Shane Gould who had retired from swimming at just 17 years of age and was suffering from the pressure & notoriety she had attracted.
Ron was a real curmudgeon and was certainly suited to the 60's & 70's era.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Loved the old Ron.

Called a spade, a spade ......... and sometimes more.
Certainly not born before his time.

1a8b658a1dcbdaf384421c1146989c79

upload_2018-10-3_16-58-0.png

avocado

Juniors
Who can forget his ' on-air ' biff with the singer on channel 9 one day when Ronny was insulted and was shoved by that long haired hippie Normie Rowe .
Harsh. They were both passionate in their views and both at fault. Buried the hatchet years later which was nice to see.
watched Casey's show as well as Rex Mossop's back in the day. Can't remember what they were called.
Casey was the original shock jock.

Drakon

Juniors
Harsh. They were both passionate in their views and both at fault. Buried the hatchet years later which was nice to see.
watched Casey's show as well as Rex Mossop's back in the day. Can't remember what they were called.
I know Rex 'Moose' Mossop had a section of his show called 'Controversy Corner' and was on Channel 7. 'Won' Casey was on 9 - was it called 'World of Sports' or 'Wide World of Sports'?

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade

I assure you avocado that the comment was meant in the nicest possible light , was not to demean either one of the gents .