What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fargo (TV Series)

This show is amazing.

Last episode is in my top ten episodes of anything ever.

Seriously had me cracking up at some points, the whole cabin part is hilarious.

elyod138

Bench
This show is amazing.

Last episode is in my top ten episodes of anything ever.

Seriously had me cracking up at some points, the whole cabin part is hilarious.

Dunst was amazing, wasn't quite sold on her until that episode, she had me laughing out loud.

Yeah that was odd.

I feel if it were any other show it'd be getting crucified for that.

I guess there's always one weird element to this show though, it was the fish last year.

elyod138

Bench
The UFOs are references to The Man Who Wasn't There. Every episode has multiple UFO references.

The UFO served as a deus ex machina, which is a typical Coen Brothers plot device. The fish in S1 was the same thing.

The first episode had a UFO deus ex machina which made Rye Gerdhart get hit by Peggy's car.

Could have executed it a little better IMO (to make it more ambiguous) but it's not that weird if you're familiar with what the Coen Brothers do. They are known for over the top ridiculousness like that.

Remember also that this episode was told in a storybook style with narration by Martin Freeman, it's not necessarily a depiction of what actually happened.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
It's a tall tale, the UFO was there because the person telling the story thinks it makes it a better story for whoever it is they're telling.

chrisD

Coach
Cop out to what? It's not like they wrote themselves into a hole and pulled that out to fix it. It didn't achieve anything they couldn't otherwise have very easily done.

The story-teller/narrator is either off kilter himself or just a bit of a troll, which I think suits the whole season, it's a real story he has exaggerated beyond recognition and just past the point of believability, all the while maintain it's all true with a straight face.

I really enjoyed last night. even the UFO bit.
there have been UFO references throughout the show so. im fine with it.
the indian is bad ass. but it is weird that fat landry clark and crazy dunst still escape each time. hes basically Rambo with longer hair but these two elude him.
im still waiting for a young malvo appearance but I guess the Sioux falls stuff from season one was just in reference to all the deaths and they aren't all actually linked.

Cop out to what? It's not like they wrote themselves into a hole and pulled that out to fix it. It didn't achieve anything they couldn't otherwise have very easily done.

The story-teller/narrator is either off kilter himself or just a bit of a troll, which I think suits the whole season, it's a real story he has exaggerated beyond recognition and just past the point of believability, all the while maintain it's all true with a straight face.
Just looking at it from a really basic point of view, he's about to get choked to death but a UFO comes down and distracts everyone.

I guess the way the episodes presented allows them this leeway but it just seems rather daft to me.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Just looking at it from a really basic point of view, he's about to get choked to death but a UFO comes down and distracts everyone.

I guess the way the episodes presented allows them this leeway but it just seems rather daft to me.

Yeah thats about how I saw it. Didn't help I was pretty tired, tense scene, and then the UFO appears. My head was in no position to comprehend what was going on.

elyod138

Bench

It's called a deus ex machina, the Coen brothers use absurd ones like that all the time for comedic effect.

Deus ex machina (Latin: [&#712, post: de&#650, member: s &#603, post: ks &#712, member: maː.kʰɪ.naː""]: /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/;[1] plural: dei ex machina) is a Latin calque from Greek ἀπὸ μηχανῆς θεός (apò mēkhanês theós), meaning "god from the machine".[2] The term has evolved to mean a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability or object. Depending on how it is done, it can be intended to move the story forward when the writer has "painted himself into a corner" and sees no other way out, to surprise the audience, to bring the tale to a happy ending, or as a comedic device.

I think it would have been a bit better if they either made the reactions more nutty (Dunst's was great) or if they made it more vague (just bright lights and the sound), but they kind of straddled the line between seriousness and humour.

I know what it is, I just think it's a cop out.

I guess I'm not familiar enough with the Coen Brothers style. Of their movies I've only seen The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men and of course Fargo.

HowHigh

Coach
Really enjoyed the 2nd season as well.
Was going to hold off and wait to watch it in one go but some posts on here made me want to get on it.
That's one badass Indian.
The UFO scenes kinda confused me though lol.

Agreed.

Obviously the big battle so to speak was last episode, and this was sort of the prologue and whilst it was a good episode the ending didn't have a punch or anything.

Amazing series though.

elyod138

Bench
I liked the ending, it was mostly character driven. Probably one of the most dense episodes of the season, there were a lot of references and allusions to the first season. For example, Hanzee said an almost identical line to a character from S1, who is most likely Hanzee with plastic surgery and the kid's speaking in sign language were probably the two henchmen from S1.

That scene with Betsy's dream of the future where the music morphed from a lullaby into Black Sabbath was one of the best of both seasons IMO. Technically this season was a master class of film making.

Last week we got the climax and this week things get wrapped up and we say goodbye to the characters.

Last edited:

Someone

Bench
I think the aliens represent a metaphorical symbol from an artistic point of view from the story teller while touching on the subject of conspiracy theories and greater beings controlling the fate of the characters. I mean its not like it was only the viewers that saw it, several characters did as well.

theres the whole nick offerman first episode 'conspiracy' dialogue. peggy trying to blame other people, or 'society' for her troubles.

I understand the idea of a deus ex machina but I think it goes deeper than that.

this season was just crazy good. one of the best seasons of television ive ever seen.

Latest posts