What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fastest backline in decades?

Iafeta

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Iafeta said:
Raider_69 said:
Immortal said:
Ok, let's lead the boring life & let's have no hope in the world in nothing, it's called being realist

sounds like an awesome idea Immortal, do away with optimism and hope, then we can all end up bitter and twisted like Iafeta :lol:

Bitter is disagreeing with something you think? :roll: Half the forum are bitter then.

no half the forum disagree
however you and maybe insano are the only 2 who are bitter and twisted and seem to have an obessive compulsive disorder that revolves around trashing canberra at every chance.

I personally think its your inner self wanting to break out and follow canberra, you mask it into hatred much the way some closet homosexuals act homoaphoic.

Let yourself go Iafeta, believe in hope again :lol:

I have no hatred for Canberra whatsoever, the Muss has always been a hero, Mal was terrific, and like most people of the era who didn't love watching the Green Machine in action in the early 90s? Any club that can do what they did is an awesome club in my opinion. I would like to see players such as Stuart, Daley, Meninga, Belcher, Clyde, Wiki, Lazarus, Todd, Walters, Nadruku etc. come through to play for Canberra again.

Red Bear

Referee
D4L, The dogs backline aint great defensively either. Utai is f**ked under the high ball(see cowboys v dogs semi) Patten can be a turnstyle(even tho he's one of the few dogs i like) and Tonga is certainly very average in defence.

I dont like that backlinefrom the chooks, far to weak defensively. Dragons provided the get 3 4 n 6 on the park all at once have a good chance of murdering everyone with that backline.

melon....

Coach
RLW 31/3/2004, has quoted Matt Cooper telling the mag that he's fastest is 10.7 and Youngquest has been clocked at 10.8.....super quick boys. But there is no way Hornby is quicker than Minichiello, Simmonds/Best I doubt are quicker than Walker/Roberts. Id say it evens things out.

melon....

Coach
Kiwi said:
Hunt
Topou
Berrigan
Hodges
Tate

Not the fastest but physically one of, if not the strongest.

And Melon.

Cross isn't as fast as he use to be, Roberts is quick, but there are plenty who a quicker, as for Monaghan, hardly quick at all. Alot of second rowers are as quick as the last two, and most are as quick or quicker than Monaghan.

Walker would easily be you fastest there, followed by Mini, but the others are hardly worth bragging about speed wise.
Its very deceptive at Easts kiwi.....youre right Cross isnt as quick as he used to be...he's quicker. RLW (March 31 2004)have him the quickest out of the backs, including Wlker and Minichiello. he's even quicker than Wing (whos the fastest forward at 4.75 for the 40) whilst Cross leads the club at 4.68 over 40.

Cross is deceptively fast, but everyone thinks he's slow due to 2 bad leg injuries. It took him a whole season to get it back, but the speed's definitely there.

Red Bear

Referee
melon.... said:
RLW 31/3/2004, has quoted Matt Cooper telling the mag that he's fastest is 10.7 and Youngquest has been clocked at 10.8.....super quick boys. But there is no way Hornby is quicker than Minichiello, Simmonds/Best I doubt are quicker than Walker/Roberts. Id say it evens things out.
Dragons wingers are average(although simmons gets the job done) but they have the best centre pairing in the comp. I prefer Minichello to Hornby but hornby is certainly a good player.

melon....

Coach
Iafeta said:
Christ, what is this, name your back five and proclaim how wonderfully quick you think they are?? Please lock this thread before we hear stories about how some Canberra prodigy scored 16 tries in 8 minutes in premier league and will "carve" up the NRL because they're quicker than the Tigers lot!

1 Jimbob
2 Clancey
3 Bloodnut
4 Shorty
5 Ballbags

They'll clean everyone up in a race to the Penrith RSL for happy hour
Enjoy your spoon...bro.

melon....

Coach
gregstar said:
Greenblooded said:
melon.... said:
1. Minichiello
2. Roberts
3. Cross
4. Monobrow
5. Walker

Possibly. That line has speed to burn. I think Monobrow will ensure Walker stays in position defensively, and for that reason place those 2 together.

But in terms of speed, how does your 1-5 compare?

Shouldn't the title be leakiest backline in decades.

the forwards will be doing ALL the tackling again
Dont forget dropping the ball in Grand finals...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
How bout this backline, if you're looking for speed.

1. McKinnon
2. Grothe
3. Tahu
4. Burt
5. Petersen

OVP

Coach
PARRA_FAN said:
How bout this backline, if you're looking for speed.

1. McKinnon
2. Grothe
3. Tahu
4. Burt
5. Petersen

Looks pretty quick to me. But as numerous people have mentioned throughout this thread, speed guarantees sfa.

To be honest with you Melon, i'd prefer to sacrifice a bit of speed for alot of quality. Give me Soliola over Walker anyday.

ozboy

Juniors
1-McKinnon
2-Grothe
3-Tahu
4-Graham/Burt/Whoever
5-Peterson

Not a bad backline, Tahu and Grothe should be the big weapons if they stay fit and in form for the majority of the season.

Though, for me the backline I am most looking forward to see is the one of the Broncos. Hunt, Tupou, Berrigan, Hodges and Tate looks very good on paper especially when you consider they will have Lockyer and Seymour in the halves.

Broncodroid

Juniors
melon... said:
1. Minichiello
2. Roberts
3. Cross
4. Monobrow
5. Walker

Possibly. That line has speed to burn. I think Monobrow will ensure Walker stays in position defensively, and for that reason place those 2 together.

But in terms of speed, how does your 1-5 compare?

All melon has done here is ask, " in terms of speed, how does your 1-5 compare?". I am not so sure he proclaiming their defensive prowess or that they are the games best 1 through to 5...speed wise, I am not sure there is a quicker set of backs from 1 to 5 in the competition.

This observation is from what I have seen on the football field, if we are looking at times in a 100m sprint, who knows? Though on the football field, if this group is not the fastest, they are top 3 IMO without a doubt.

Kiwi

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Immortal said:
Ok, let's lead the boring life & let's have no hope in the world in nothing, it's called being realist

Being a realist is to believe every youngster is a superstar? Thats not reality - thats ga ga dream land. I've got an idea, lets name every junior you can think of and say they're a superstar.

Every Junior player signed by a club has potential, and talent and the ability to make it big, some make it some don't. Are you telling us that your club signs players that aren't worth shit, can't play, have no talent, no future, no skills ect to junior contracts? ALL players signed to junior contracts to NRL clubs are done so for a reason, and the fact they have the skills ect to make it big is that reason, it's just some are better than others, some want it more, and have better attitudes.

Kiwi

First Grade
melon.... said:
Kiwi said:
Hunt
Topou
Berrigan
Hodges
Tate

And Melon.

Cross isn't as fast as he use to be, Roberts is quick, but there are plenty who a quicker, as for Monaghan, hardly quick at all. Alot of second rowers are as quick as the last two, and most are as quick or quicker than Monaghan.

Walker would easily be you fastest there, followed by Mini, but the others are hardly worth bragging about speed wise.
Its very deceptive at Easts kiwi.....youre right Cross isnt as quick as he used to be...he's quicker. RLW (March 31 2004)have him the quickest out of the backs, including Wlker and Minichiello. he's even quicker than Wing (whos the fastest forward at 4.75 for the 40) whilst Cross leads the club at 4.68 over 40.

Cross is deceptively fast, but everyone thinks he's slow due to 2 bad leg injuries. It took him a whole season to get it back, but the speed's definitely there.

I guess I'm thinking over 100m, but lets face it, it's all about 40m bursts from players in games that actually matter, and you are probably right, the Roosters would be right up there in that department. But over 40m there would be diddly squat ( a technical term that is ) seperating most of the teams. I mean Tate is 4.70, thats nothing on the footy field compared to Cross, and would you say Tate is faster than Walker? without knowing Tate is .02 slower than Cross?

To me there are many factors to take into account, what about the first 10 metres? Maybe Cross has nothing on Walker over the first 10 metres, Maybe Cross gets his own back as they reach or approach top speed? To many factors to say who has the quickest backline, and whats it worth really? Shit Rieck is the fastest back over 40m, but I wouldn't want him in a Broncos jersey without trying Webcke on the wing first.

Iafeta

Referee
Kiwi said:
Iafeta said:
Immortal said:

Being a realist is to believe every youngster is a superstar? Thats not reality - thats ga ga dream land. I've got an idea, lets name every junior you can think of and say they're a superstar.

Every Junior player signed by a club has potential, and talent and the ability to make it big, some make it some don't. Are you telling us that your club signs players that aren't worth sh*t, can't play, have no talent, no future, no skills ect to junior contracts? ALL players signed to junior contracts to NRL clubs are done so for a reason, and the fact they have the skills ect to make it big is that reason, it's just some are better than others, some want it more, and have better attitudes.

You just said it yourself in a round about way - not all juniors will become superstars. Thanks for backing my point up.

There's a difference between signing a kid on A: hope B: abilities at a far easier level (the NRL is the toughest comp there is, you have to be mentally tough to make it) and C: becoming an NRL supersar. Not all of A or B will become C.

Iafeta

Referee
Kiwi said:
melon.... said:
Kiwi said:
Hunt
Topou
Berrigan
Hodges
Tate

And Melon.

I guess I'm thinking over 100m, but lets face it, it's all about 40m bursts from players in games that actually matter, and you are probably right, the Roosters would be right up there in that department. But over 40m there would be diddly squat ( a technical term that is ) seperating most of the teams. I mean Tate is 4.70, thats nothing on the footy field compared to Cross, and would you say Tate is faster than Walker? without knowing Tate is .02 slower than Cross?

To me there are many factors to take into account, what about the first 10 metres? Maybe Cross has nothing on Walker over the first 10 metres, Maybe Cross gets his own back as they reach or approach top speed? To many factors to say who has the quickest backline, and whats it worth really? sh*t Rieck is the fastest back over 40m, but I wouldn't want him in a Broncos jersey without trying Webcke on the wing first.

You are right, I would think agility and awareness of where the gaps are etc. are more fundamental than out and out speed in the NRL. Its no good being as quick as Matt Reick but having an average set of hands to go with it.

As far as the quickest backline goes, for mine I think the Dragons, Chooks and Cowboys are pretty darn quick.

Dogs Of War

Coach
melon.... said:
I think Monobrow will ensure Walker stays in position defensively, and for that reason place those 2 together.

And you though Hodges and Walker together were bad, this pairing is doomed. Monhaghan couldn't read a play to save his life.

Big Mick

Referee
No Offence to anyone in this thread.

But Speed is f**king nothing if you A) Don't have the people to get it to those players, B) They can't hold onto the ball and finish off, C) they can't tackle and let tries in themselves.

I'd much rather have a defencive backline, than a speedy one.

Kiwi

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Kiwi said:
Iafeta said:
Immortal said:

Every Junior player signed by a club has potential, and talent and the ability to make it big, some make it some don't. Are you telling us that your club signs players that aren't worth sh*t, can't play, have no talent, no future, no skills ect to junior contracts? ALL players signed to junior contracts to NRL clubs are done so for a reason, and the fact they have the skills ect to make it big is that reason, it's just some are better than others, some want it more, and have better attitudes.

You just said it yourself in a round about way - not all juniors will become superstars. Thanks for backing my point up.

There's a difference between signing a kid on A: hope B: abilities at a far easier level (the NRL is the toughest comp there is, you have to be mentally tough to make it) and C: becoming an NRL supersar. Not all of A or B will become C.

I didn't prove your point at all. I pointed out that they all have the talent, just because not all make it doesn't mean that fans can't talk them up. Everyone here is a realist in that they know not everyone will make the cut, but to say fans aren't being realistic because they are saying their juniors have talent, speed, the ability to be big or the next superstar is being unrealistic more so than the fans you are refering to.

Tell us, can you pick the ones that will definately make it? No one knows for sure which kids will make it big, so we give our opinion, it's not always right, but then clubs don't always get it 100% right. Just because we don't know for certain doesn't mean we can't talk them up and have our say.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
Raider_69 said:
Iafeta said:
Raider_69 said:
Immortal said:

sounds like an awesome idea Immortal, do away with optimism and hope, then we can all end up bitter and twisted like Iafeta :lol:

Bitter is disagreeing with something you think? :roll: Half the forum are bitter then.

no half the forum disagree
however you and maybe insano are the only 2 who are bitter and twisted and seem to have an obessive compulsive disorder that revolves around trashing canberra at every chance.

I personally think its your inner self wanting to break out and follow canberra, you mask it into hatred much the way some closet homosexuals act homoaphoic.

Let yourself go Iafeta, believe in hope again :lol:

I have no hatred for Canberra whatsoever, the Muss has always been a hero, Mal was terrific, and like most people of the era who didn't love watching the Green Machine in action in the early 90s? Any club that can do what they did is an awesome club in my opinion. I would like to see players such as Stuart, Daley, Meninga, Belcher, Clyde, Wiki, Lazarus, Todd, Walters, Nadruku etc. come through to play for Canberra again.

needless to say so do i :lol:
As you have said not all juniors are going to be superstars but i strongly believe that Micheal Weyman and Todd Carney are 2 that are destine for stardom. If im right then ill garentee the raiders will win at least one premiership off the back of these two. :D

God-King Dean

Immortal
A) Don't have the people to get it to those players, B) They can't hold onto the ball and finish off, C) they can't tackle and let tries in themselves.

A) Sharks
B) Sharks
C) Sharks

:lol: It's funny because it's true