What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Shoulder Charge Of All Time?

Springs

First Grade
Looking at the wiki one it is not hard to see some inconsistent decisions in 2013. Was that wiki hit a tackle or a shoulder charge?

The Wiki hit on soliola would have the same g force as the banned shoulder charge. Not to mention if the shoulder charge from the ball carrier is still legal it's very unfair, considering the defence will have to just sit there and take it for fear of a penalty.

There's going to be a ton of bad rulings next year. I fear every big hit will be penalised.

H.H

Juniors
The Wiki hit on soliola would have the same g force as the banned shoulder charge. Not to mention if the shoulder charge from the ball carrier is still legal it's very unfair, considering the defence will have to just sit there and take it for fear of a penalty.

There's going to be a ton of bad rulings next year. I fear every big hit will be penalised.
Speaking of Soliola, a couple of hits he put on in 2009 were simply colossal. Can't find any footage of them, but Josh Perry and Shannon McPherson will never forget them.

As for the ruling, it's nothing short of an outrage. Possibly the worst decision I have seen from the game and that's saying something.

I'd still like to know what defines a shoulder charge. In my mind, the Inglis/Young hit is a genuine shoulder charge. The Dwyer/Hargreaves is not.

You watch the game get itself in knots about this next year. It's going to be an absolute farce.

Loudstrat

Coach
Hohia was good, not great. Try these from the mighty Fiu!
[youtube]uTlKIjaoGmi[/youtube]

This one on Everlovin' Antichrist's favorite player

[youtube]JYZbsI68SrQ[/youtube]

And this one in attack on cutie

[youtube]SvzTb4RivvY[/youtube]

Which begs the question - are shoulder charges banned in attack? Everyone remembers that classic O'Meley v Gibbs
[youtube]fXJRNyYsp3g[/youtube]

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
I remember Guttenbiel (sp) ironing out Ned Catic like a missile one day. Awen got pinged for been offside but from a 20m run up he must have hit Catic at 35km/h with immense force, Catic took a millionth of a second to hit the ground KO'ed. Good stuff.

woodley_11

Juniors
inglis on young for me was beautiful. Gi did a couple of similar ones the few games leading up to that one too. It's like he was perfecting his craft, becoming a master of the emphatic break-ending shoulder charge and we were set to see it happen everytime anyone dared make a break on the rabbits. Then the nrl happened and ruined everything. Its akin to if shakespeare was about to start writing his plays and then some moron ran up, broke all his feather pens and put him in jail.

You are kidding right? This illegal tackle was no better than an old fashioned swinging arm and is probably the catalyst for the ridiculous opposition to the shoulder charge. He used little to no technique at all and the shot to the head was the result. A properly executed shoulder charge into the rib cage for example would have been much more impressive and more importantly, legal.