What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Dragons Player

Fingerbang

Bench
Lord Ted....not Father, was the one Dragons player I got most enjoyment out of watching play the game.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
As a kid, my favourite player was Johnny King. I remember my first Saints game, it was against Newtown at Henson Park, I would have only been about 5 or 6. I went to with my father and his mates, all Newtown supporters. Johnny King scored a try in front of me and I decided then to support Saints, much to the disbelief of those around me. It's OK, I have since converted my dad and he's a Saints supporter now as well.

Since then, there have been loads of 'favourites' but off the top of my head: Changa, Billy Smith, Barry Beath, Lord Ted, Graeme Wynn, Mark Coyne, Ricky Walford, and the greatest winger to ever play the game, Tingha.

Mattfaz

Juniors
Wernt we going to have a team of the decade announced? That would've been last year wouldn't it? If we did it would be a hell of a team. f**k who would you put in it, who would you leave out

Hornby
Morris
Timmins
Cooper
Tingha
Soward
Barret
Baily
Riddell
Weyman
Creagh
Scott
Young

Thommo
leikvoll
Gasnier
Flo

Now who have i missed??

Minh

First Grade
As a kid, my favourite player was Johnny King. I remember my first Saints game, it was against Newtown at Henson Park, I would have only been about 5 or 6. I went to with my father and his mates, all Newtown supporters. Johnny King scored a try in front of me and I decided then to support Saints, much to the disbelief of those around me. It's OK, I have since converted my dad and he's a Saints supporter now as well.

Since then, there have been loads of 'favourites' but off the top of my head: Changa, Billy Smith, Barry Beath, Lord Ted, Graeme Wynn, Mark Coyne, Ricky Walford, and the greatest winger to ever play the game, Tingha.

Wow Tingha was great but that is a big call there, although I have never seen a finisher the like of him, very entertaining would love to have him in the team right now even with Nighty and Morris there.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Wow Tingha was great but that is a big call there, although I have never seen a finisher the like of him, very entertaining would love to have him in the team right now even with Nighty and Morris there.

Agree mate, that is a massive call. But you must admit probably one of the best wingers ever not to wear a rep jersey. Stuff he did was dead set freakish. How he did not make reps is beyond me. WHen he came back from Union he was no where near the same. The so called selectors ruined a brilliant player imo as that was the reason he left the code.

big pat

Coach
gosh very hard pick, so many greats,

raper,
smithy,
changa,
gasnier reg, walford, coyne, tingha, all time fav would have to be billy smith, greta clubman, and cheeky as.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Barto
not much good as a knuckles man and I feared for his safety many times because he was very fiesty and willing to engage and look for a fight.

are you sure? I remember him decking a number of players over the years and he used to shape up with a pretty damn impressive stance. From what I heard, he had done a bit of training. He knew how handle himself, just ask Darren Treacy :lol:

I remember sitting in the stands at the SFS the night Blacklock scored under the posts from a Barrett grubber (amazing it didn't go dead in goal) to force a draw. Andrew Hart got a little grubby in the play the ball with Chris Beattie, but after the "roll off" the markers swapped and Bartrim happened to be the first marker. Beattie got up and king hit him. He had no idea it was coming (having not realised what went on in the play the ball). Put it this way, he knew how to take a punch like a man too.

Cagey Mac

Bench

We've discussed this game before Willow and King was the reason I became a Saints supporter too and indeed from seeing him score 2 or 3 in a game at Henson Park. I rate him more highly than Tingah who was wonderful. Puff became my favourite of that generation though. Billy Smith and Pop Clay were also favourites. Chang was fabulous too but for some reason I couldn't warm to him. Ted Goodwin was thrilling to watch and I still cringe at the face to face play he had with Ian Schubert in that horror '75 GF. Coyne strikes me as one of the greatest gentlemen to play the game and a real credit to the red V. Too many wonderful players to mention and among the current crop Coops, Creagh and Nighty shine.

We've discussed this game before Willow and King was the reason I became a Saints supporter too and indeed from seeing him score 2 or 3 in a game at Henson Park. I rate him more highly than Tingah who was wonderful. Puff became my favourite of that generation though. Billy Smith and Pop Clay were also favourites. Chang was fabulous too but for some reason I couldn't warm to him. Ted Goodwin was thrilling to watch and I still cringe at the face to face play he had with Ian Schubert in that horror '75 GF. Coyne strikes me as one of the greatest gentlemen to play the game and a real credit to the red V. Too many wonderful players to mention and among the current crop Coops, Creagh and Nighty shine.

The Saints team in the 1971 grand final is the one that got me hooked:

Graeme Langlands (c)
Ken Batty
Bob Clapham
Ken Maddison
Geoff Carr
Tony Branson
Billy Smith
Harry Eden
Colin Rasmussen
Grahame Bowen
Peter Fitzgerald
Barry Beath
Ted Walton

Mick Dryden
Russell Cox

Amazing effort that year to even reach the GF, with a come from behind win against Manly in the final (my avatar is Chang scoring one of his 2 tries in that game from Billy Smith kicks), then showing plenty of good old fashioned guts in the GF to come from 0-11 down, got back to 10-11, against a Souths side with basically 13+ internationals.

Minh

First Grade
Barto

are you sure? I remember him decking a number of players over the years and he used to shape up with a pretty damn impressive stance. From what I heard, he had done a bit of training. He knew how handle himself, just ask Darren Treacy :lol:

I remember sitting in the stands at the SFS the night Blacklock scored under the posts from a Barrett grubber (amazing it didn't go dead in goal) to force a draw. Andrew Hart got a little grubby in the play the ball with Chris Beattie, but after the "roll off" the markers swapped and Bartrim happened to be the first marker. Beattie got up and king hit him. He had no idea it was coming (having not realised what went on in the play the ball). Put it this way, he knew how to take a punch like a man too.

:lol: Our Barto was very gutsy.

77Dragons

Juniors
in order of appearance

Billy Smith
Graham Quinn
David Barnhill
Nathan Brown
Ben Hornby

Last edited:

Latest posts