What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite 'gamble' in the NRL

eozsmiles

Bench
Pick your own line thats all i do these days, 3-4 leg multi...

the 1-12 margin has to be one of the worst bets, you find yourself cheering on the other team to score at times.

Too true. Margin bets are sucker bets. If you think team A will beat team B, then why run the risk of a late try screwing you? You can get punished for getting something right.

Parra

Referee
Super line or pick your own line, whatever you want to call it. Great way to bet and great for multis.

If you don't like losing then find a team playing at home and paying $1.30 or less head to head, then back them +12.5. You could go for some damn long streaks without backing a loser ........ This week's qualifier is the Bronco's.

Last start winner playing at home is great. You get an in form team playing at home and usually against a weaker opponent......... This week you could back Souths, Canberra, or the Doggies.

Any underdog playing at home , apparently you only need to eliminate a few obvious strugglers to do very well over the course of the season. I don't do it, I prefer favourites, but I know someone who is right into it.......... Roosters and St George fit the bill this week.

Yep. Bet home dogs with the start. Not head to head.

Last edited:

Grapple

Bench
Too true. Margin bets are sucker bets. If you think team A will beat team B, then why run the risk of a late try screwing you? You can get punished for getting something right.

Interesting theory... Yes, it occasionally happens where someone will score a late try, but usually when two close teams play it's a better option for a decent return than a head to head option.(There is the risk of extra time too!) But it is risky...

13+ is a good margin, especially with injury clouds hanging over players. But that also can sometimes pay close to a head to head price which is ridiculous really.

Bretto

Bench
Only if you are a brainless f*ckwit. There is no more boring place in a shopping centre than a TAB, except maybe a knitting shop. And to have Munsies ugly dial plastered all over half time is a desecration to a great game. If you want to throw your hard earned at rich gimps like Tom Waterhouse, just mail it to the useless f*ck.

I like this post.

How people can spend even a single dollar on betting is completely beyond me. It's right up there with the Nigerian scam for taking your money, only it's legal.

IanG

Coach
I usually just take a $10 Combo
Which gives you the following:
$6 Line
$1 First Try Scorer
$1 Last Try Scorer
$1 Half/Full Time Double
$1 Accumulator of First and Last Try Scorer.
It pays out on the legs you get.

Starting to think I should have a few more First Try Scorers. Since Aku Uate has been getting it quite a bit lately

Robbie'o'Davis

Juniors
im hopeless at backing first try scorer..
having players as short as $5.00 its more risk then reward..
not worth it imo

Lambretta

First Grade
My favourite punt is Roosters to lose the penalty count

I'm a f**king millionaire off the back of that one

(gambling is a mugs game and anyone that does it just wants nothing more out of life than to see corporations and governments take more of their money than they already do. Voluntary taxation. And to think people whinge about the carbon tax)

Lambretta

First Grade
Only if you are a brainless f*ckwit. There is no more boring place in a shopping centre than a TAB, except maybe a knitting shop. And to have Munsies ugly dial plastered all over half time is a desecration to a great game. If you want to throw your hard earned at rich gimps like Tom Waterhouse, just mail it to the useless f*ck.

TAB's and bookmakers in general always seem to me to be the last refuge of the desperate or just plain useless.

They used to be screened so we couldn't see inside them to see how sad the people in there actually are. Opening them up was surely a government ploy to try and reduce gambling. I've seen less desperate people queueing up for metholated spirits holding empty bottles of lemonade.

Parra

Referee
I've seen less desperate people queueing up for metholated spirits holding empty bottles of lemonade.

What lovely part of the country are you in that you get to witness this? Is the methylated spirit free? Why to the people who want the metho only hold lemonade bottles? Surely any container would do.

RABK

Referee
My old Italian Barber at Leichardt Pino bet on Shane Elford to be first try scorer for the tigers every single week. Think he collected twice in about 70 bets. Everytime i saw him for a haircut in his very thick Italian accent "You know who is the good one for the tigers? Shane Elfuud! I will put $10 on him to score first try this week"

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
What lovely part of the country are you in that you get to witness this? Is the methylated spirit free? Why to the people who want the metho only hold lemonade bottles? Surely any container would do.

It was an away game in Parramatta - I assume they want to paint their houses a different colour than blue and gold, but I could be wrong.

Metho was on special btw. I grabbed two litres for myself