What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite GF moments 2000-2008

miccle

Bench
C'mon, it's basically the off season! Beaver's try the other night got me thinking about some of my fave moments from the GF's this decade. A lot of the games themselves have been criticised, but there have been some great moments.

BTW, I'm looking for specific moments, not results/halves/whole games. Mine...

1. Webcke being invited to lift the trophy with Lockyer in 2006. There have been some great moments, but as a Broncos fan this was pretty damn special, and something I will always remember.

2. Beaver's try in the 2008 GF. I don't like Manly, and I was cheering in front of the tv when the great man crashed over. Magical.

3. Benji Marshall's flick pass to Pat Richards(?) in the 2005 GF. Totally summed-up a really flashy team playing a great brand of footy with plenty of confidence.

4. Scott Sattler - THAT tackle. Can't leave it out.

5. Fittler getting SMASHED by... it was Villasanti, wasn't it? Big collision as he was on the ground, and the reactions to it by both teams was awesome to watch.

6. Inglis' 65-metre effort in the GF last year which pretty much put the game out of reach - I love watching this bloke when he's on song (put him back in the centres FFS). Broke Manly's heart.

2001.gf...Johns onto Simpson and straight over the top of jason taylor to score...perfect timing...planning and execution..And the holding up of a parramtaa player just before half time to stop the scoring of a try that could have lifted parra

Ben Kennedys performance in the same game

Any moment that penrith got over the top of roosters to win their comp

Ram Man

Juniors
C'mon, it's basically the off season! Beaver's try the other night got me thinking about some of my fave moments from the GF's this decade. A lot of the games themselves have been criticised, but there have been some great moments.

BTW, I'm looking for specific moments, not results/halves/whole games. Mine...

1. Webcke being invited to lift the trophy with Lockyer in 2006. There have been some great moments, but as a Broncos fan this was pretty damn special, and something I will always remember.

2. Beaver's try in the 2008 GF. I don't like Manly, and I was cheering in front of the tv when the great man crashed over. Magical.

3. Benji Marshall's flick pass to Pat Richards(?) in the 2005 GF. Totally summed-up a really flashy team playing a great brand of footy with plenty of confidence.

4. Scott Sattler - THAT tackle. Can't leave it out.

5. Fittler getting SMASHED by... it was Villasanti, wasn't it? Big collision as he was on the ground, and the reactions to it by both teams was awesome to watch.

6. Inglis' 65-metre effort in the GF last year which pretty much put the game out of reach - I love watching this bloke when he's on song (put him back in the centres FFS). Broke Manly's heart.

Adrian Morleys return of serve to Villasanti was favourite after this incident...:lol:

Matt23

Staff member
1. Newcastle's first half in 2001 Grand final...almost faultless
2. Marshall's flick pass to Richards in 2005 & the 2005 grand final in general
3. Scott Sattler's tackle
4. Steve Menzies this year
5. Stacey Jones in 2002

Tiger-lord 75

Juniors
#1 The Tiges win in 05
#2 Geoff Toovey in the Newcastle v Manly Gf kept getting his head smashed open and the tough little bastard kept getting up
#3 Sattlers tackle
#4 Benji's flick pass
#5 BILLY IDOL !!!

adrian morley knocking the sh*t out of him was superior ...

best grand final moment was mullins' run down the left flank with the big fend on and the one hand pass to set up hegarty for the opening try ... nothing can beat rab's commentary ...

MULLINS GOES FOR THE ACCELERATOR, MULLINS GET'S THE BALL INSIDE ... SHANNON HEGARTY!! HEGARTY'LL SCORE

and luke phillips try saver against francis meli ... jones kicks the ball into the corner and phillips has a foot race with meli and just get there in time to squat the ball into the in goal ...

ByRd

First Grade
Funniest for me was in the 2004 GF when El Masri went over for the match winner, and Hegarty thought that he had been tackled and began to clap only to see Hazem put the ball down LOLLLL

ByRd

First Grade
Also Ryan's tackle on Crocker in the last second was a brilliant tackle and imo it should be spoken more about, he basically saved a break in the final minute to save the game

TheDalek079

Bench
Funniest for me was in the 2004 GF when El Masri went over for the match winner, and Hegarty thought that he had been tackled and began to clap only to see Hazem put the ball down LOLLLL
well, he had been tackled, but making it look it Hegarty applauding Hazem is funny

adrian morley knocking the sh*t out of him was superior ...

best grand final moment was mullins' run down the left flank with the big fend on and the one hand pass to set up hegarty for the opening try ... nothing can beat rab's commentary ...

MULLINS GOES FOR THE ACCELERATOR, MULLINS GET'S THE BALL INSIDE ... SHANNON HEGARTY!! HEGARTY'LL SCORE

and luke phillips try saver against francis meli ... jones kicks the ball into the corner and phillips has a foot race with meli and just get there in time to squat the ball into the in goal ...

Just that first play in general is great for me. Rab's describing freddy's "barnstorming, blockbusting run," and then Mini coming across to be dummyhalf and creating the overlap (along with Fletch?) for Mullins to run down the touch line.

And Morley and Cusack smashing Villasanti was classic.

Also, in From Where the Sun Rises, there is a series of photos of Wing scoring. In them one can clearly see a Bulldogs fan with an inflatable Roosters hand celebrating the try. Not seen on TV but still a great moment - our rivals supporting us

Tom Ace

Bench
Morley belting Villasanti after Villasanti turned human torpedo and headbutted Freddy

Just that first play in general is great for me. Rab's describing freddy's "barnstorming, blockbusting run," and then Mini coming across to be dummyhalf and creating the overlap (along with Fletch?) for Mullins to run down the touch line.

fittler makes a break and gets a quick play the ball to minichiello who in turn gets a quick pass to fletcher who draws in the centre and gets the ball to mullins ...

fittler IMO should have won the clive churchill medal ... his break + quick play the ball was instrumental in the first try as it gave us an overlap ... we score off the next set from his 40/20 when the game is in the balance ... flannery scores off a fittler kick and wing scores off a fittler short pass ... fittler was responsible for all tries bar the fletcher one

TheDalek079

Bench
Hegarty isn't the brightest footballer running around.....

:lol:

Thats why he ruined his career by signing with the Redfern Lice

fittler IMO should have won the clive churchill medal ... fittler was responsible for all tries bar the fletcher one

don't think freddy done much in Fitzy's try.

Fitzy and Freddy were equally deserving the Medal. i suppose they went for Fitz as he was picked in the Aussie squad for the match against the kiwis

murraymob

Coach
as a panther it can only be Sattlers tackle .It changed the whole game if he misses the tackle its a try under the post and penrith are gone.

Latest posts