What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Origin Moments

Country Bronco

Juniors
Nothing will ever be better in my mind than Mark Coyne's try in the 1994 game 1.Queensland down 12-10 and 40 seconds left on the clock, from deep in their own half. The ball went from the play the ball to Alfie then walters then carne out to renouf who streaked down the field before passing to hancock then hancock to smith back to Alfie out to Big Mal then finally to Coyne who with a outstretched arm planted the ball over the tryline to bury the blues. Ray Warren yelling in commentary 'That's not a try, that's a miracle' Simply the best moment which typifies Queenslands never say die attitude.

Game 2 1993 - 30 seconds left. Meninga Vs Daley to decide the series.

QLD are down by 4. Big Mal makes a bust deep within his territory and heads off up field. Daley starts to make his way over in cover. Meninga sees Daley out the corner of his eye and must make a decision - attempt to run over the top of the inspirational NSW captain...or try and find support. Meninga's respect for Daley makes him slow down and he pops a ball back to Mark Hohn of all people which ends up in Glenn Lazarus' hands. NSW hold onto the shield. Laurie Daley goes down as NSW greatest ever player and captain. What a moment in time.

Sam I Am

Juniors
  1. 1984 (I think, I'm getting old) - Geno's (?) try under the posts in the mud after Wally's kick rebounded off the crossbar at the SCG
  2. 1989, Origin II - Wally's 60 metre try. And Alfy going off with a broken leg. And every other bugger getting injured. And we still won it! ... in front of 16000 (or something like that) at the SFS. :lol:
  3. 1991(?) - Wally and MG face off.
  4. 1997 - Tri-series final. Not strictly Origin, but what a game... even if the Blues won it.
  5. 1998, Origin I at Lang Park. Down 23-18 with about a minute to go and Queensland chance their hand from the 10 metre line. Score and win!
  6. 2000, Origin I at Stad de Oz. Gordie's brain explosion, sent off. Always gets the blood pumping. I will watch that again later today.
  7. 2001, Origin III at ANZ. Alfie's over the head try at the 60th minute. Alfy was about 35 wasn't he, and he still outplayed Johns in his prime. Great night.
  8. 2002, Origin III at Stad de Oz (I think): Gordie's tackle over the sideline from ten metres in. Again, another one to get the blood pumping.
  9. 2007, Billy Slaters kick, kick try. Awesome.
That's off the top of my head. I think I have some dates and places wrong, but that's life.

Sam I Am

Juniors
That was the first Origin I went to. :D

First Origin I went to was III (I think) at Lang Park. It rained, we sat on the wet concrete terraces and Queensland got flogged. I still hate NSW and love league to this day thanks to that night. :)

Sam I Am

Juniors

You're recollection is a little off as well...

Lockyer kicks it with Slater marginally on side. Ball bounces beautifully into his arms before he turns Minichiello inside and out leading to his chip kick and subsequent try. Probably one of the best Origin tries and another good Origin game.

sh*t! Was it that long ago...? :shock:

Sam I Am

Juniors
Johns didn't play in that particular game. Kimmorley did though!

Of course, you're right! :) I guess some of our favourite Origin moments never happened. That's nostalgia for you!

Alfy was still awesome though. Will have to watch some highlights of that again sometime.

Mr Saab

Referee
1991 the entire series.
1998 game one when Carroll scored the winning try
2006 game three when Lockyer scored the winning try

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Games 2 and 3 of the '05 series. Joey was on fire, especially his pass through traffic to hit Bedsy on the chest and send him over was pure gold.

St. Brett

Juniors
For me it was Joey Johns absolutely f*cking terrorising QLD in that game a few years back at Olympic Stadium SYD where he absolutely tore them to shreds and kicked goals from the sideline and won Channel 9's MOTM at 3-1 I think?
What a game!

Part from that all of the old 80's games with the old brown/caramel/cream ball when SOO was SOO!
Today's games are too manufactured, robotic and programmed!

A memory I hate of SOO is when we had that Super Greed split (where you Broncos quickly f*cked off for money) and the SOO played that year with Fatty as coach.
What pissed me off about that series was the manufactured brawl that took place in the first five minutes and Hoppa throwing those boring right hands.
They said before kick off they were gonna do it and they did.
It wasn't even a proper fight.
No passion and manufactured.
Hated the series too.
It was like it was choreographed that night with the fight.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
I watched the 'NSW- The Rivalry' DVD this morning, and I must say I rate the 1994 series as the Blues greatest ever win. Here's why:

Queensland scored THAT try in Game 1, and as it happened, that was the only game of the series in Sydney. The Blues then had to turn it around in Melbourne to keep the series alive (which they did) but then came the nemesis staring them in the face: Winning the series at Lang Park, something the Blues had never done before. And just to make it a little more interesting, it happened to be Mal Meninga's last Origin match.

I'm sure to all the Maroons fans, the script had already been written, and Mal would go out a winner at Lang Park on the back of another Maroons win and THAT try in Game 1. But that's when the fairytale ended. The Blues backs (Mullins, Daley, Fittler) were all class that night, Elias kicked 2 field goals and Freddy got one and the Blues took out the game and the series- in front of the nutbag rednecks. And it was the perfect send-off for Benny- the man Qld hated more than anyone. That is one game on my "I wish I had been there" list.:D

Mr Saab

Referee
2001 was much better when QLD sent out Brad Fittler a loser....oh but then Gus brought him back in 2004 to give him his fairytale.

God-King Dean

Immortal
2004 decider.

6 Dragons in...
Gasnier
Cooper
Barrett
Ryles
Timmins
Kite

Gasnier with 2 tries on debut, Barrett with his greatest performance ever (I rate it just behind Johns as the most dominant halfback performance I've seen), Crocker & O'Meley punching on, & the icing on the cake Fittler's chargedown try.