What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Sports documentaries

blue bags

First Grade
the docoz on Andre the giant

and Jeremy McGrath '' the go show '' Motocross racing

both absolute legends' of there sports

Mark B

Juniors
That Rally Footage.....

You've got a driver, guided by a navigator, negotiating a rally course (not a track which repeats itself per lap), on loose gravel/dirt.... with all those people on the side of the road, and on the actual road itself at times......

I remember seeing footage like this on the old Wide World of Sports as a kid, and it looked cool. Now you just shake your head and think... "What the F*** were they thinking letting that happen?!?!?!"

The mind just absolutely boggles.

Driving that road would be hard enough. But even though drivers at that level have the capacity for absolute, unequivocal focus, to know that one slight mistake could lead to your car plowing into/through/over spectators is just uncomprehendable...
there’s a similar one that covers Formula 1 and other races like the Le Mans 24 hour. Absolutely no safety or proper crowd protection. Well worth a look. From memory it was not unusual to have up the 10 drivers and untold crowd members die each year. I think it was Jackie Stewart who finally said enough was enough and organised the drivers to simply refuse to race until the governing body got serious with the overall safety management of these races. Crazy stuff.

Mark B

Juniors
Another 30 for 30 - The Birth of Big Air. Matt Hoffman BMX rider from the '80s. Changed the sport

Loved the sport as a kid. Still have my under 13 trophy first place from the Clarence Valley under 13’s from 1982. Back then it was just racing. Hoffman came along and changed the sport with his impersonations of super man on a BMX. Legend!

Dogs Of War

Coach
As it just dropped another season. Big mention to Drive to Survive. 3 seasons available just going over how the previous F1 season went with lots of behind the scenes which really provides some great depth to footage. Lots of new angles.

Parra

Referee
Just watched The Intimidator on E:60

Story of the lead up to Dale Earnhardts fatal accident. The reluctance of NASCAR to introduce the hans device and the changes made since.

I had no idea basal skull fractures were so common in nascar. Recall that F1 introduced hans following Hakkinens crash in Adelaide in 1995. Six years earlier.

Great doco with interviews and some stark numbers.

I know this is not quite a documentary, but this dramatization of what went on inside the Supreme Court when Muhammad Ali appealed his conviction against being conscripted into the US Army is fascinating to watch -

The scenes in the court room and the conference room are factual. They are based on transcripts. Initially the Supreme Court voted 5-3 to convict Ali.