What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feki's farked wing not a good look

snout

First Grade
Storm contemplated calling the fekster as a witness tonite but decided against.
Visually not a good look having the guy you cleaned up standing their in a sling...ha.

Even tho they claim it wasnt that tackle that busted him. It still goes toward the amount of arms shoulders and necks this team have destroyed.

Feki should hang around out the front so the judiciary see him as they go in.

carinashark

First Grade
I have never seen a more blatant example of a shoulder charge. Tonight we will see how serious the rules are .

Frenzy.

Immortal
It will be tit-for-tat

They let Friend off a spear tackle. Now can claim “being fair and equal”

This whole NRL is a sick boy’s club.

fizman

Bench
Hypothetical - If Penrith made the Grand Final does Phillip Ronald Gould come out swinging in favour of Slater?

If the offender was Mssrs Burgess, Fifita, Napa etc, would the Journalistic do gooders come out of the wood work like they have?

What about these intellectual writing giants of the game telling us all about North - South and East - West shoulder charges?

The intent was to lead with the shoulder at speed to force Feki out of play. The location of the arms and hands are irrelevant, that is why when they review it this evening it needs to be looked at in normal speed and not broken down frame by frame.

"intellectual writing giants" ???? barely literate pissheads, and their join the dots with cliches journalism.

I keep saying, you can learn more about the game on this forum than in a newspaper.

Frenzy.

Immortal
None of the reasons he should be exonerated actually make any sense anyway. These media bumpkins have got themselves and everyone whomis dumb enough to listen believing the tripe

He braced for contact - who braces for contact when they are intentionally making the contact?

Use of the right hand - rule says this verbatim “The player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player.“
The crux of this is they ahve to use an arm and INCLUDE the hands. It is not either/or, it means both and is designed to take the bluff out of it.

Travelling at high velocity - yeah well that’s shit as well. How many great cover defenders used to travel at velocity and get a perfect legs or hip tackle?

Was trying to stop a try - fair dinkum, he could of pushed Feki out conventionally there was so little room to move. No need at all to have to resort to a shoulder charge. It was pre meditated IMO

Makes me nauseous thinking he gets off

Frenzy.

Immortal
"intellectual writing giants" ???? barely literate pissheads, and their join the dots with cliches journalism.

I keep saying, you can learn more about the game on this forum than in a newspaper.

James Hooper. Favourite quote. Says it 17 times a week

“There’s things happening in the background”

Deeeerrrrrrr

Noticed this last night. Says it to every issue. In other words, knows phuque all

PJ

First Grade
None of the reasons he should be exonerated actually make any sense anyway. These media bumpkins have got themselves and everyone whomis dumb enough to listen believing the tripe

He braced for contact - who braces for contact when they are intentionally making the contact?

Use of the right hand - rule says this verbatim “The player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player.“
The crux of this is they ahve to use an arm and INCLUDE the hands. It is not either/or, it means both and is designed to take the bluff out of it.

Travelling at high velocity - yeah well that’s shit as well. How many great cover defenders used to travel at velocity and get a perfect legs or hip tackle?

Was trying to stop a try - fair dinkum, he could of pushed Feki out conventionally there was so little room to move. No need at all to have to resort to a shoulder charge. It was pre meditated IMO

Makes me nauseous thinking he gets off

Get ready to be nauseated.

NRL, best comp money can buy.

Weaponhead

Coach
Gould saying let him because he is a champion is pathetic. Who decides on who is a champion? Diffetent rules based on arbitrary, subjective criteria.

Slater line Feki up and gave it him. His priority was to ensure Feki did not score. Storm say there was no risk of injury to Feki. Absolute bullshit. Slater wanted to whack him as hard as possible and did so.

The NRL is a work. Sutton and Klein getting the gig proves this perfectly. They manage the result in the 'right' direction better than any of the others.

coolumsharkie

Referee
6.45pm: The lawyer representing Billy Slater is Nick Ghabar. Ghabar is the same lawyer who helped clear Justin Hodges to play in the 2015 grand final for Brisbane against the Cowboys after a dangerous throw on Aidan Guerra.

6.38pm: NRL counsel Anthony La Surdo is now looking at slow motion footage of Slater's arms.

"Your left forearm and hand comes up under Feki's right arm. It's very difficult to tell but it doesn't appear to me that's an action of a wrap or attempt to wrap."

Slater: "I disagree with that."

Slater is making a strong case so far. Very confident in his explanations and not afraid to voice them.

No further questions for Slater from Anthony La Surdo.

6.31pm: NRL counsel Anthony La Surdo cross-examines Slater's take on the tackle: "That's what you intended to do but that's not what happened. What you intended to do and what you ended up doing are two different things.

"There was no attempt to wrap both arms was there?"

"I disagree with that," Slater says. Slater also disagrees with Anthony La Surdo's assertion that Feki didn't change direction.

6.25pm: Slater insists he was attempting to wrap his arms around Feki while making the tackle.

"The whole time my intention was to make a tackle. It happens earlier than I expected to do but I'm still attempting to wrap my right arm. Even with my left arm is trying to wrap underneath. I was still trying to get my body in a position to get between the ball and the try line," he says.

Sounds pretty funny actually.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/25...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=NetworkContent

coolumsharkie

Referee
6.53pm: "The right arm had to go somewhere and that was the most natural position for the arm to be given he was travelling at such speed": NRL counsel Anthony La Surdo continues to argue that no attempt was made by Slater to wrap his arm around Feki in the tackle.

6.48pm: Both lawyers are now fronting the panel with still images to explain their positions. Anthony La Surdo is arguing there was no wrapping attempt while Slater's lawyer Nick Ghabar listens on. Slater and Storm coach Craig Bellamy exchange words at their table.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Looking at the blog I reckon this Ghabar is a goose. Contact was with the pec of Feki? So what? It’s not a shoulder charge unless you contact certain areas?

Spare me

Frenzy.

Immortal
7.13pm: Slater's lawyer Nick Ghabar talks the judiciary panel through the tackle.

"Player Feki is carrying the ball with both hands then puts the ball in his left hand. Player Feki's eyes and head has turned at this point to look directly at Slater and moves towards him. A collision is now imminent."

7.07pm: Ghabar highlights Slater's evidence that initial contact in the tackle was made with his pec. "If you accept that evidence it's powerful. It ends the hearing."

Wanker

7.05pm: "The rule only requires an attempt, the rule does not require a successful attempt": Slater's lawyer Nick Ghabar on the definition of a shoulder charge.

Here is that definition.

Under the 2018 NRL rules, a shoulder is defined as "where a defender does not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player and the contact is forceful. It will be considered misconduct, if any player affects a tackle in the manner as defined."

7pm: Anthony La Surdo finishes his case. Slater's lawyer Nick Ghabar is up now. The hearing has now been running for just over an hour.

Ghabar begins his case to the panel: "What I'm putting to you - this is a situation where a player did not make a conscious decision to use his shoulder.

"The initial contact was on his left pec. It didn't include his left shoulder. He told you the contact was with the left pec.

"I have no doubt that what sent Feki three or four metres over the sideline was the hips colliding.

"This is not a traditional, if there is a type of thing, shoulder charge. This is not a traditional shoulder charge where players are running directly at each other and players have set themselves. You need to pay specific attention to the angles provided to you."

coolumsharkie

Referee
7.20pm: "It could not be said that player Slater was careless for not getting his left arm in any other position," says Ghabar.

Slater's representative is making a couple of key points. Firstly that initial contact in the tackle was made with Slater's pec, not his shoulder. Secondly that Feki changed his direction which meant Slater had no alternative - given his speed - than to make the contact he did.

"Could anything different be done? You will find this situation was handled in the safest possible manner maintaining a duty of care to himself, player Feki and his team."