What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita to Sharks

macnaz

Staff member
Have we actualy signed Blair ?? that signing would it seems be the whole reason behind ripping the guts out of our side.. im just amazed all this is happening. Gibbs Fulton going yeah ,, Payten retiring surely thats enough to cover him without losing Fifita and Heighno . At least they are going to a struggling club like the Sharks i guess

macnaz

Staff member
From an outsider's perspective, it feels like releasing Fifita to the Sharks may have been a sweetener to entice them into taking Gibbs off our hands.

Looks like there has been criminal mismanagement of the salary cap. When the Blair news broke, I expressed concern over the salary cap. Looks like that has come to fruition. Disappointing.

I think what you have said may be close to whats really going on here. :oops:

macnaz

Staff member
If this is true then that changes everything. I am lost for words. Why would we release him?
Im the same .... financial mismanagement is the only answer ....So maybe it was Sheen's pick who went or perhaps the players wanted out, we will never know but if what the previous poster stated that it was the clubs choice to release him then the buck stops with Sheens the cork soaker.

N.C.

Juniors
If this is true then that changes everything. I am lost for words. Why would we release him?

The only way the Tigers could release him would be if he had asked them to. A contract that allows one party to unilaterally put an end to terms is no contract at all...

Cronulla would have known we were under cap pressure, and gone after him with an offer too good to refuse - knowing that our club would have to seriously consider it. An astute piece of bargaining on their part - and the first time in about five years we've been outplayed by the Sharks...

macnaz

Staff member
The only way the Tigers could release him would be if he had asked them to. A contract that allows one party to unilaterally put an end to terms is no contract at all...

Cronulla would have known we were under cap pressure, and gone after him with an offer too good to refuse - knowing that our club would have to seriously consider it. An astute piece of bargaining on their part - and the first time in about five years we've been outplayed by the Sharks...
Yeah maybe.. :? But didnt we already have him signed so there was infact a contract in place .. ?? lol im lost

Last edited:

TimmyB

Juniors
In the same way Fifita could request he be released from his obligations to the club, the club could have requested they be released from their obligations to him. If Fifita had an acceptable offer he may well have agreed.

macnaz

Staff member
In the same way Fifita could request he be released from his obligations to the club, the club could have requested they be released from their obligations to him. If Fifita had an acceptable offer he may well have agreed.
So if Fifita said no i wanna stay than the contract had to stand. ?
So in that case we can blame the club for the release or Fifita for taking the bucks than i guess.

TimmyB

Juniors
I'm only speculating. Please let that be known. I don't want to be one of the ranks of people who hint ever so slightly at inside knowledge.

If Fifita was told he was not wanted, I'd say that may create a desire to leave where there previously was not one. IE: Fifita was happy and wanted to stay. He was told the club no longer wanted his service. He no longer wants to stay and seeks out a better contract elsewhere.

Like I said, just speculation, but certainly plausible if we needed to get Gibbs off our books.

N.C.

Juniors
All points valid.

What I'm saying is that Fifita could insist on the Tigers honouring his contract, if he wanted to. The Tigers could ask Fifita to look around, but they couldn't just release him without paying him out - unless he agreed to that. The only reason he would agree to that is if he could get more money from somewhere else.

Similarly, the Tigers could have insisted that he stay. If they have released him, it means they're having trouble keeping under the cap... They could have asked to release him, but he'd surely have said no unless he already had a good offer in the bag.

If it is well known amongst us Daily Tele readers that the Tigers were shopping players around, then you can bet Cronulla knew very well that we have/had salary cap issues.

Instead of taking the players we were prepared to release (perhaps even based on their "inquiries") they make a huge play for one of our better up-and-coming props... They know we're not in a position to keep all our players, and they already know we've been shopping some good talent around as well as the hacks they initally asked about (ie Moltzen).

Fifita says "no, I don't want to go, I love the Tigers. The only reason you're prepared to flog these bastards is so you can hang on to me".

Humphries sweats profusely and says "hang on a minute, kid. Think about this. We can't guarantee your future beyond next year at this stage. That's a lot of money they're offering you, and no-one seems to be buying our surplus. We're in no position to stand in your way".

Fifita's manager gets a boner and says "I'll take 6% of that, thanks, sign here..."

... and before you know it, the lad's been released from the club, and the club's been released from the lad.

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
All points valid.

What I'm saying is that Fifita could insist on the Tigers honouring his contract, if he wanted to. The Tigers could ask Fifita to look around, but they couldn't just release him without paying him out - unless he agreed to that. The only reason he would agree to that is if he could get more money from somewhere else.

Similarly, the Tigers could have insisted that he stay. If they have released him, it means they're having trouble keeping under the cap... They could have asked to release him, but he'd surely have said no unless he already had a good offer in the bag.

If it is well known amongst us Daily Tele readers that the Tigers were shopping players around, then you can bet Cronulla knew very well that we have/had salary cap issues.

Instead of taking the players we were prepared to release (perhaps even based on their "inquiries") they make a huge play for one of our better up-and-coming props... They know we're not in a position to keep all our players, and they already know we've been shopping some good talent around as well as the hacks they initally asked about (ie Moltzen).

Fifita says "no, I don't want to go, I love the Tigers. The only reason you're prepared to flog these bastards is so you can hang on to me".

Humphries sweats profusely and says "hang on a minute, kid. Think about this. We can't guarantee your future beyond next year at this stage. That's a lot of money they're offering you, and no-one seems to be buying our surplus. We're in no position to stand in your way".

Fifita's manager gets a boner and says "I'll take 6% of that, thanks, sign here..."

... and before you know it, the lad's been released from the club, and the club's been released from the lad.
Yeah that all makes sense. the biggest winner will most likely be MR manager. Like someone said on 2sm a player may get the best price for next year but not always the best career move :(.
Also ..is David Fifita a twin ?? can we send David across like an NRL fine cotton type thing :D

R2Coupe

Juniors
How ironic, you have to offload Fifita to get Blair, is that living outside of your means?

Irony, not at all.

Gibbs was offloaded to get Blair = Tigers win.

As for Fifita, he received a hugh offer from the Sharks. Deciding not to participate in a bidding war is exactly living within your means.

The Dragons lose many good local juniors every year for this reason. It is not fair but it is the nature of the salary cap.

macnaz

Staff member
Irony, not at all.

Gibbs was offloaded to get Blair = Tigers win.

As for Fifita, he received a hugh offer from the Sharks. Deciding not to participate in a bidding war is exactly living within your means.

The Dragons lose many good local juniors every year for this reason. It is not fair but it is the nature of the salary cap.
True but a good club decides which players are worth the dollars and risk.. i was reading recently how ppl within Parramatta wanted to sign Lockyer before he was anything..... what a massive f**k up they didnt do it...... also someone here ( sorry who i cant remember who said it ) Balmain let Beetson go and he went on to be an Imortal,, i hope this isnt the same thing revisited.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Yes, good point

We have to trust the management. The CEO is pretty savvy so no doubt the opportunity cost of keeping Fifita on a huge contract has been considered.

I am excited about Groat, Begovich, Spence, Simona and BMM. Moses F (from Keebra in our U20s) and Sa Fifita (currently at Keebra) appear to be top prospects. Much to look forward to in the future.

macnaz

Staff member
Yes, good point

We have to trust the management. The CEO is pretty savvy so no doubt the opportunity cost of keeping Fifita on a huge contract has been considered.

I am excited about Groat, Begovich, Spence, Simona and BMM. Moses F (from Keebra in our U20s) and Sa Fifita (currently at Keebra) appear to be top prospects. Much to look forward to in the future.
Yes very good points,, i like the look of all of them mentioned but what is the point of finding them , supporting them, teaching and training them only to to see they are special THEN LET THEM GO. Are we going to do this every couple of years to help other clubs ....Can you see my point.... As ive said elsewhere we have spent probly millions on Gibbs , Payten, Galloway etc and we found a guy that can produce plus MORE what has taken years for the others to produce and also because he is young isnt out every 2nd f**king week.... why did they get to hang around and a guy like Andrew who seems to have done all that is asked of off him, wasnt given that chance... i aint arguing with ya mate, im just pissed as to why they didnt spend the bucks on a worthwhile player just as they have done with the others, .... Also fearing being accused of having a love affair with Shannon Gallant , he was also another guy that would have offered more to this side than anyone who has replaced him since ,AND he would have cost the club FA tho , just as Utai is costing but he would have filled a position that is cructial to a side.

And NO i dont trust management.. anyone that would re-sign Tim Tool Sheens are f**king suspect.
Can i also add:: read back for years on this forum how the supporters have been crying out to buy a GUN front rower to fill a much needed void ... so what do we get??? we f**king lose a BEAUTY to buy a second rower on Benji Marshall $$ that we dont currently need and run out trying to win a NRL premiership with the comps slowest fullback and winger

Last edited:

andrew9148

Juniors
Given we are talking contracts i will mention I am a lawyer. Generally, the position is as many have pointed out he can only go if the Tigers let him go. This is because there is a contract. There could be reasons why one side might not want to carry out their side of the bargain (e.g for wests - salary cap, for Andrew - better offer elsewhere) but unless both parties agreee, the other can seek damages for the other side not complying with their side of the contract.

Latest posts