What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita

SharkShocked

Bench
Do any of you really want Barba on the bench?

My personal opinion on Barba is unless he's starting at fullback, i don't see a spot for him.

Gordon's form has been for the most part good of late but is also prone to up and downs. Would i have Barba infront of him and upset the balance of the backline (who have been performing the best they have in a few years) no.

I'd rather the forwards to be honest.

millersnose

Post Whore
However he hasn't been the difference between winning & losing the last 4 from 5.

reality check for you

the only real contender we have played since he was suspended was the storm

you seem over excited about narrow wins over spoon contenders

Card Shark

Immortal
reality check for you

the only real contender we have played since he was suspended was the storm

you seem over excited about narrow wins over spoon contenders

True, they are not nearly the best teams.

We've still been winning (unlike most teams) & that's all that matters in the end.

millersnose

Post Whore
True, they are not nearly the best teams.

We've still been winning (unlike most teams) & that's all that matters in the end.

well no we haven't

we got lapped by the storm precisely because we did not have the power in the middle to handle them

we limped home resorting to field goals against some spoon contenders

you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think fifita can be spared in the finals in order to sooth your hurt feelings over him blowing up at a ref

Born BB&W

Juniors
Benny needs to sit out the finals campaign to get his confidence back for next year... Anything less than 4 big blokes on the bench is asking to lose.

Our bench on the weekend was:

Bukuya
Prior
Arona
Toops/Ayshford

We still have Andrew, David and Barba to come back.

So who gets the chop?

Andrew will come in for Arona and start, pushing Heino to the bench.

Barba will come back in, but who deserves to be dropped? No one really. Prior is in good form, and is probably our best ruck defender at the moment.

Bukuya is down on form, but made a nice break against the Tigers and scored a nice try against the Eels.

Does Flanno have the balls to not bring Barba back? Does he have a proper semi finals game plan for 4 forwards on the bench?
Every year we have made finals under him we have had a utility on the bench.
With our game plan, I don't see a spot for Barba, but the call will be to drop Prior, which again in my opinion, is a harsh move.

David Fifita actually got dropped on form against the Bulldogs. Not stood down so I'm not as confident of him making the 17 over say someone like Prior.

I think our bench will be;

14. Andrew Fifita (throw him on at the 20minute mark when the speed of the game eases off.
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Matt Prior
17. Ben Barba (If he's fit Flanno will play him.)

Just my 2cents

cb4

First Grade
David Fifita actually got dropped on form against the Bulldogs. Not stood down so I'm not as confident of him making the 17 over say someone like Prior.

I think our bench will be;

14. Andrew Fifita (throw him on at the 20minute mark when the speed of the game eases off.
15. Anthony Tupou
16. Matt Prior
17. Ben Barba (If he's fit Flanno will play him.)

Just my 2cents

I don't believe that for a second.

Craigshark

First Grade
I reckon David Fifita has been going better than a lot of people give him credit for. That Cowboys game up there he played in, he was on fire.

I think Flanno will pick Barba if he's fit to play.

But I'd have David Fifita in for him.

If Barba isn't fit I think Flanno will pick Bukuya.

Weaponhead

Coach
Wow, some spirited discussion in this forum about football matters. Nice to see.

I agree with Craigshark that Dave Fifita had been going well. Whether well enough to come back into the squad will be interesting to see.

Assuming Andrew Fifita starts pushing Heigno back, the bench options are interesting.

I think Barba will be picked. Flanno will want to have X factor if we need to chase points which is likely to happen at some point in the finals series.

Arona is down the pecking order, so that leaves Bakuya, Heigington, Toops, Prior and D Fifita fighting for 3 places.

I would pick one of Prior and D Fifita as they are genuine props who can make yards and tackle in the ruck (Prior is the better defender).
That leaves 2 of Bakuya, Heigno and Toops. Personally I would go for experience in the semis. Heigno is a warrior who can come up with a key offload and Toops also has the ability to create. Tough one on Bakuya who has done some nice things in recent games but is more of a straight right edge backrower with left versatility.

My bench
14. Barba
15 Heighington
16 Toops
17 Prior

Starting Pack
8 A Fifita
9 Ennis
10 Taga
11 Lewis
12 Graham
13 Gallen

cb4

First Grade
Depending on the opposition, I would have 4 forwards in some, and Barba on the bench in the others.

Against the Dogs, where they have big boppers coming at you all day, and the Storm, who get in the grind like us, I would have 4 forwards.

I would line up:

Fifita
Ennis
Taga
Lewis
Wade
Gallen

Bukuya
Toops
Heino
Prior.

Unlucky Barba and DeeFeef.

But against the Cowboys and Broncos, where the game is a bit more open, Barba would come on the bench for me, at the expense of Bukuya.

Mainly being, as I stated it is more of an open game and we need to manage the ruck, and Prior is our best at doing that.

We also need to come up with a game plan in the finals for managing Gallens minutes. Finals football will be a lot more grueling.

Flanno needs to hook him 10 before half time, and bring him back on 5-10 minutes into the second half.

chewsta

First Grade
A Fif and Toops off the bench after 20 minutes would make a hell of an impact! It would also leave Fifita with a bit extra in the tank at the back end of the game when we are likely to need some of his magic to happen.

I am happy for Heino to keep his starting spot and thought we have opened up and leaked points whenever he is off the field.

Gal has been great and stayed out of the way (mostly) for a while now, no coincidence that we are scoring some exciting backline tries as a result. I hope he doesn't resort back to his old ways, trying to lead by example for finals footy.

Weaponhead

Coach
Agree with the horses for courses view of the bench make up and agree wholeheartedly with the need to manage Gallen's minutes. He is starting to show some drop off in the back end of each half. This will only exacerbate in the intensity of finals footy. A high quality 60 minutes will likely be more effective than 80 minutes.

Latest posts