What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Final 8 - now confirmed!!

bartman

Immortal
Ok, with results tonight I think it's now safer to talk about this.... Here is what needs to happen to prevent us from finishing in the 8.

We are currently on 29 points, 6th place behind the Storm on points difference, them with a game in hand.

- - - - -

This round, if Manly beat the Sharks on Sunday and if Newcastle beat Canberra on Monday, this will see them both jump us and we finish the round placed 8th.

If Wests beat the Titans tomorrow, they will move to 28 points, one point behind us and outside the 8. If not, Penrith will be our closest rival, two points behind us - and now with a points difference of -39 :D.

So the following week, if we lose to St George on Friday night and if Wests beat the Bulldogs (played at the same time) - provided Wests had also beaten the Titans tomorrow - then Wests will shift us out of the finals. :(

There is also some mathematical possibility of Penrith shifting us out of the finals if we lose to St George and if Penrith beats Newcastle by a combined total points margin of 79 points... but I think we can safely say Penrith's season ended tonight.

- - - - -

In summary: If Wests lose to the Titans tomorrow we are definitely in the finals.
:D Woooo Hoooo!!!!
(Except if we lose against St George by about 40 points, and Penrith beat Newcastle by about 40 points, then we don't make the finals.)

If Wests beat the Titans tomorrow - they didn't - then a victory against St George means we are definitely in the finals.:D
(Except if we lose against St George by about 40 points, and Penrith beat Newcastle by about 40 points, then we don't make the finals.)

If Wests beat the Titans tomorrow - they didn't - if we then lose against St George and if Wests beat Bulldogs, then we don't make the finals. :(

(And Salvy has explained that if Newcastle lose against Canberra on Monday, and against Penrith the week after, then they will drop out of the 8, and either us, Penrith or Wests can also get into that spot.)

C'mon Titans!!! - they did!!

Last edited:
i see a problem, Wests don't play newcastle it's Bulldogs they play last round.

and I Can't see them winning both and can't see penrith beating newcastle by 40 and us losing by 40.

So looks like we will make it, but a win next week we could finsh as high as 6th right?

bartman

Immortal
Thanks. Corrected :thumn

Not sure about how high we can finish... that's a different equation. We'll work on that after a Titan's victory tomorrow!

salvy71

Juniors

and I Can't see them winning both and can't see penrith beating newcastle by 40 and us losing by 40.

So looks like we will make it, but a win next week we could finsh as high as 6th right?

Broncos/Manly need to lose at least 1 game for us to get 6th ....can only hope I guess .

salvy71

Juniors

In summary: If Wests lose to the Titans tomorrow we are definitely in the finals.
:D

Won't matter either if Newcastle lose to canberra on monday night . :)

bartman

Immortal
Cheers Salvy... I might have to edit this to include that scenario if we're not definite finalists after the Wests-Titans result. :oops:

salvy71

Juniors
Cheers Salvy... I might have to edit this to include that scenario if we're not definite finalists after the Wests-Titans result. :oops:

No worries mate , lets just keep praying for the Titans and the Raiders this weekend .:) (and sharks and roosters but not even God could rig those results up for us) . :lol:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
TITANS *CLAP CLAP CLAP* TITANS

They wear the right colous, lets see if they due the traditional owners of te coulour proud.

natheel

Coach
we need
to beat dragons
storm to lose against roosters and warriors
broncos to lose to raiders next week
manly to lose one game probably against titans next week
plus we would need knights to drop one game
and we could end up in 4th spot

thats a very big IF but u never know, the teams we need to lose knights and storm mostly are in sketchy up and down form manly have stewart back but i dont think that will save em against titans and raiders seem to have the wood on the broncs.

salvy71

Juniors
we need
to beat dragons
storm to lose against roosters and warriors
broncos to lose to raiders next week
manly to lose one game probably against titans next week
plus we would need knights to drop one game
and we could end up in 4th spot

thats a very big IF but u never know, the teams we need to lose knights and storm mostly are in sketchy up and down form manly have stewart back but i dont think that will save em against titans and raiders seem to have the wood on the broncs.

Now that's what i call ambitious . lol .

bartman

Immortal
Yep, Storm need one more win to seal their 4th spot and home semi... if they don't win anymore games, and we knock off Saints, then we can get as high as 4th.

Will all look different once the remaining games have been played this weekend.

natheel

Coach
hey theres nothing wrong with being ambitious!! lol
nah i think we will finish between 6th and 8th i was just pointing out the best best case scenario which isnt totally out of reach with how we r playing atm and the opposition other teams around us have

hindy111

Post Whore
hey i think we will finish 8th or maybe 7th...
At end of day its a good result-What a crap season has turned into so much fun....
What a home game it was tonight-We stayed and cheered-I loved it

jimmyo

Juniors
I stole this from that great thread in the main forum - i think it sums up our chances well.

"PARRAMATTA EELS
9th 27pts F/A -2 Run Home: Panthers (H) Dragons (A)

Highest finish: 4th
Lowest finish: 12th

If they win both games, they will finish at least 8th ahead of Penrith, and possibly Newcastle, Brisbane and Manly if either of them lose a game. Also mathematically possible to finish ahead of the Storm.

If they beat Penrith, lose to Dragons they will finish at least 10th. They will be at least 8th if any 2 of the following happen:

Wests Tigers lose to either Titans or Bulldogs
Brisbane lose to both the Cowboys and Raiders
Manly lose to both the Sharks and Titans
Penrith lose to Newcastle in Round 26
Newcastle lose to both Canberra in Round 25 and Penrith in Round 26
(The last 2 can't both happen)"

From an Eels point of view, things have changed a bit:
Wests Tigers need to lose to either Titans or Bulldogs:
I think we can assume that the Tigs will go down in one if not both

So...
if the Knights lose to Canberra in round 25 the Eels will FINISH AT LEAST 8TH regardless of the Knights/Penrith result in Round 26 and our game against St George in Round 26.

Go Raiders!

If the Knights win we need them to also beat the Panthers in Round 26...in which case,

Go Knights! (in round 26)

In summary the Knights/Raiders game is really crucial!

If we beat the Dragons we make the finals and then probably play them in week one. Can we beat the Dragons 2 weeks in a row?