What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Final 8 - now confirmed!!

Why not have the Saturday games as a double header in Sydney?

I'd say that even if some non-Sydney teams were involved, you'd push the attendance beyond SFS and require Homebush. You'd also require the hiring and staffing of one less ground and Channel 9 would require one less venue outfitted with crews.

mickdo

Coach
Why not have the Saturday games as a double header in Sydney?

Well, I don't think that gives the games the respect they deserve. It's finals footy and each game should be a stand alone event. Double headers are a great idea for regular season games, but not finals. Imagine a double-header final at ANZ with fans dotted all over the stadium because half the fans for the first game pissed off after their team lost!

Double header would only work in week 1.
and i could see a crowd of over 70,000 at homebush which is better for all concerned than 2 seprate games they gets about 40,000 total.
I mean footy is now a business so i keep hearing so business wise it would be much better for the reasons HJ stated.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Domestic football cup ties in Europe (ie FA Cup) where big clubs get drawn away against lower league sides. Always packed. Always could fit more in if moved.

European ties as well. Chelsea, with a 40k seater could double champions league crowds if they played those matches as wembley. As could Liverpool if they moved big matches away from Anfield.

True. And before Arsenal built their new stadium they actually moved their Champions League games to Wembley to get bigger crowds.

A few years later they moved back because they had given away their home ground advantage and couldn't win enough home games to get past the group stage.

You'd have to be crazy to give up your home ground advantage.

sammygee

Juniors
If the Raiders win I think it's mathematically impossible for the Eels to miss the finals.

Thats right, because the Knights play the Panthers next round for the last spot! So even if we lose to the Dragons we'll still finish 7th or 8th.

But I reckon we'll give Wayne's boys a run for their money!

Can't wait! ;-)

FROSTY319

Juniors
Go the Raiders ! So if next week we happen to beat Saints then we would be cheering for the Titans to beat Manly and Canberra to beat Brisbane and we are top 6 ?

bradeel

Juniors
Go the Raiders ! So if next week we happen to beat Saints then we would be cheering for the Titans to beat Manly and Canberra to beat Brisbane and we are top 6 ?

We are now 7th thanks to the Raiders' win.

If we beat Dragons, the Titans can beat Manly OR Canberra beats Brisbane we finish 6th. If all 3 things were to happen, we'd be 5th.

If we lose to the Dragons, we stay 7th if Penrith beat Newcastle and drop to 8th if Newcastle beat Penrith.

Ok guys.I just wanted to say now that WE ARE IN THE FINALS:D i just want to say,i really think we can win the comp,but if we dont i am so happy that we have achieved what we have after the start to the year we had.CONGRATULATIONS to Cayless and the boys.NOW.........LETS FINSH THE JOB:D

We are now 7th thanks to the Raiders' win.

If we beat Dragons, the Titans can beat Manly OR Canberra beats Brisbane we finish 6th. If all 3 things were to happen, we'd be 5th.

If we lose to the Dragons, we stay 7th if Penrith beat Newcastle and drop to 8th if Newcastle beat Penrith.

Yeah, I'd be looking at us finishing 6th with Titans dropping Manly. I'd say Raiders over Broncos is only an outside chance.

So we're most likely playing the Dragons two weeks in a row as they would finish 3rd if we beat them, the Titans beat Manly and the Dogs can win another without Kimmorley.

yosemite

Juniors
HYPOTHETICAL. If we end up having to play the Dragons twice in succession, who , like me, DOESN'T mind if we lose this weekend to them because we'd more than likely fire up and revenge the defeat by beating them in the weekend that MATTERS ?( ie. semi-final)

sammygee

Juniors
HYPOTHETICAL. If we end up having to play the Dragons twice in succession, who , like me, DOESN'T mind if we lose this weekend to them because we'd more than likely fire up and revenge the defeat by beating them in the weekend that MATTERS ?( ie. semi-final)

It would take the pressure off having to win a thousand games in a row to win the title. But I also reckon if we beat the Dragons this weekend then we can finish off the following week. Their supporters will have given up on them while the Eels fans will be pumped, as will the team...

Either way they are really vulnerable right now. Curious to see what mind games are played in the next 4 days between DA and WB.