What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINALLY

grouch

First Grade
It’s definitely going to happen. 42 points conceded against an average side like the tigers followed by announcement of a coaching review can only mean one thing.
For a sane, proper club maybe.

Our club uses "reviews" purely as a stalling tactic, a decoy. I think if he's being sacked they'll just do it. If they announce a review it's purely to buy time and come up with some scapegoats. They've done it before... more than once.

I'm reluctant to get excited.

hermidale1

Juniors
The writing is on the wall. If he stays on, the club loses supporters. If he is booted then people will turn up again hoping to see a turnaround.
Sponsors want a competitive team to get their product noticed. When Bennett was here we had plenty. Now I think there would be mounting pressure. It's all about the money.
I say it's a good chance he'll be marched off. Too many chances burnt.

hazzbeen

Bench

Our club uses "reviews" purely as a stalling tactic, a decoy. I think if he's being sacked they'll just do it. If they announce a review it's purely to buy time and come up with some scapegoats. They've done it before... more than once.

Just a tiny Winny bit exited ...?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This would be an unmitigated disaster for us!

I mean what would become of the Sack McGregor thread????
I can see people aimlessly logging on to see if the imposter has been sacked, then realizing he had!

If it did come to pass, I think the admins of this forum should pin the Sack McGregor thread to the top of the page as a constant reminder of how polarizing one coach could be, as serve as a warning for our new coach.
It will be replaced by a 'Bring Back McGregor' thread.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I agree it's important that the Board now move swiftly and decisively so that the incoming coach has time to prepare for next year.
In order of preference:
Jason Demetriou - totally enamored by the style of football he coaches. Will be good to watch.
Craig Fitzgibbon - excellent credentials and superb temperament.
Geoff Toovey - great football brain and infectious passion and heart.
Flannagan - considerable wrap sheet but undeniably astute coach.

Pleasant conversation to have.

possm

Coach
Unfortunately this is a very real scenario. The Board won't want to admit they got it wrong, won't want to throw away $1.2M, and won't want to shaft an Illawarra old boy.
No way! The momentum is increasing and will continue to gather until he is gone. In my opinion the review will be done and dusted before Nov 1 in an effort to give the new coach every opportunity to keep the players he wants and let go as many of the others as possible.

possm

Coach

Better to sack Mary before next game and send the players out on the field without a coach. In my opinion they would smash the Titans just to prove a point.

Coffs dragon

Bench
No way! The momentum is increasing and will continue to gather until he is gone. In my opinion the review will be done and dusted before Nov 1 in an effort to give the new coach every opportunity to keep the players he wants and let go as many of the others as possible.
I agree Possm, it's more than just smoke, it's like a bush fire gathering momentum and can't be stopped without the necessary action to end the problem.
Mary must Go and sooner rather than later.

mightydragon

Juniors
One good thing about missing the semi finals is that they can give McGregor the arse now, name the new coach and let him pick his coaching team prior to the pre season starting in early November. They can then work on offloading the dead wood players drifting around the place.

grouch

First Grade
One good thing about missing the semi finals is that they can give McGregor the arse now, name the new coach and let him pick his coaching team prior to the pre season starting in early November. They can then work on offloading the dead wood players drifting around the place.
Absolutely. It is negligent for the club to do otherwise. The more time passes in September and October without McGregor gone, the less likely he will be.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Hope you're right Possm but our mob has form in using the review to avoid the root cause of the problem.