What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcharias

Immortal
Sydney teams hosting finals play at the best available stadia in Sydney
Simple
Non Sydney teams hosting finals play where ever they come from
Also simple.
NAH that shit
We could end up playing a team in 8th at their home ground.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The only prelim featuring 2 out of town teams in Sydney that I can think of, is Raiders v Broncos in 1990 which drew 31k. Not a terrible number but not much more than Canberra could handle.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I don't understand how Townsville is designated as a week 3 stadium but Canberra and especially Newcastle are not. its a pretty simple decision that they have stuffed up and lucky enough for them the form of Sydney teams in getting to week 3 as the home side has hidden it from the general public until now. What do they hope to achieve by forcing Canberra to play a home final in Sydney?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Canberra Stadium has been fit to host league test matches, finals, Olympic soccer matches, super rugby finals, rugby test matches etc…

I can’t see why AAMI Park is given the option of a prelim and GIO isn’t. I’ve sort of changed my tune here lol.

carcharias

Immortal
Canberra Stadium has been fit to host league test matches, finals, Olympic soccer matches, super rugby finals, rugby test matches etc…

I can’t see why AAMI Park is given the option of a prelim and GIO isn’t. I’ve sort of changed my tune here lol.
because the game is rigged.

johnny plath

Juniors
Not one final there involved 2 sides from out of Sydney ... playing in Sydney did they ?
What's more
potentially at least one side coming from a very very long way away bringing no fans with them.
Sub 20K is on the cards thanks to the NRLs short sighted ridiculous policy
Broncos v Storm in 1998 got over 20k at the sfs. What did Canberra fans do back in the day when all finals were played in Sydney... they seemed to still get a good following back then. Bar the GF, its the most important game on the calander, and an event... surely the effort is worth it to support your team, its within driving distance, one late night home wont f**king kill any one.

Card Shark

Immortal

Rightly so - it's unfair & inconsistent...but that's the NRL.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The only prelim featuring 2 out of town teams in Sydney that I can think of, is Raiders v Broncos in 1990 which drew 31k. Not a terrible number but not much more than Canberra could handle.
Very different then to now.
All finals were played in Sydney in those days so the NSWRL used to sell packages to all the finals for about $100
They were very popular.
Plus I don't even think it was live on TV

No way in.hell you'd get the same crowd these days

Vic Mackey

Referee
Don't know why raiders fans are so upset, they got their arse handed to them last time they had a home final

Raiderdave

First Grade
Broncos v Storm in 1998 got over 20k at the sfs. What did Canberra fans do back in the day when all finals were played in Sydney... they seemed to still get a good following back then. Bar the GF, its the most important game on the calander, and an event... surely the effort is worth it to support your team, its within driving distance, one late night home wont f**king kill any one.
Thousands will make the trip if they have to

Point is they shouldn't have to in this day & age of the so called NATIONAL rugby league

No other sport would do this
It's ridiculous

Valheru

Coach
The only legitimate gripe Canberra have is that AAMI gets to host games which is ridiculous given the proximity of Etihad.

Canberra/Cowboys in Sydney is probably the worst case scenario and it would still get 25k+ IMO. Believe it or not, Canberra fans do live in Sydney and I am sure they would be able to travel for what is (for Canberra) a once in a generation event.

Danish

Referee

Did that game kick off at 8pm at night?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There were night time semi finals back then yes

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Looks like fairly late arvo. Good luck getting back to Brisbane or Melbourne any time after fulltime that arvo.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I seem to remember a Radiers V Warriors week 2 final getting a crowd of 31K at the SFS. That was a bloody good crowd, great game too. I'm assuming there were lots of Warriors fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.