What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals: week 1 Official Team vs Broncos

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I assume you're taking the piss.
Na, I am serious. I have seen many clubs do this.

It may not be the case and it be Sanyo being a dick, but is Inu qualified to play for Vulcans this weekend? Is Topou? I have not kept track of many Vulcans games these guys played.

Trying to rationalise.

devoid

Juniors
Three changes for the play-off against Broncos
Manu Vatuvei, Shaun Berrigan and Aaron Heremaia all return from injury for the Vodafone Warriors’ qualifying final against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.
Vatuvei is back after missing the last two matches against St George Illawarra and North Queensland with a wrist injury while Berrigan (hip) and Heremaia (hand) were both defections for last Saturday night’s 18-6 win over the Cowboys.
The 25-year-old Vatuvei reclaims his regular left winger’s position from Krisnan Inu, Berrigan comes back in for Lewis Brown and Heremaia returns for Alehana Mara. Brown is included on a five-man interchange bench with the rest of the line-up the same as the one used against North Queensland.
“With the way we performed against the Cowboys it was a really difficult side to select but that’s the way you want it to be,” said Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary.
“You want to have a squad where you have plenty of depth and competition for positions and fortunately that has been the case for us throughout the season.”
The Vodafone Warriors go into the 2011 play-offs ranking among the competition’s most consistent finals teams so far this century.
Since the Vodafone Warriors qualified for the post-season for the first time in 2001, they have been in the finals seven times in the last 11 seasons, including four of the last five years. Only three clubs have done better since 2001, the Broncos leading the way having missed the finals only once (last year) while St George Illawarra have featured nine times in the last 11 seasons and Melbourne, this year’s minor premiers, eight times. Of the other 2011 finalists, Manly has qualified seven times, Wests Tigers three, North Queensland four and Newcastle five.
Of the 18 players named today, 14 played in the Vodafone Warriors’ equivalent qualifying final against the Gold Coast Titans last year while Berrigan and second rower Feleti Mateo both have significant finals experience with their previous clubs Brisbane and Parramatta. Vatuvei, Sam Rapira, Simon Mannering, Micheal Luck, Lance Hohaia and Ben Matulino were also involved in the Vodafone Warriors’ 2008 finals campaign.
Saturday night’s match will mark a milestone appearance for fullback Kevin Locke who’ll play his 50th NRL match, giving the squad 15 players who have made 50 or more first-grade appearances, eight with 100 plus games.
Cleary brought up his 150th first-grade match as a coach last weekend, the win giving him a winning percentage of exactly 50 per cent.
James Maloney is only eight points short of equalling his haul of 188 points last season. He owns the two best season tallies in the club’s history behind Cleary’s 242 points in 2002. At last Saturday night’s special post-match function at SKYCITY, Vodafone Warriors members named Maloney as their player of the year. The club’s official award winners – including the Lion Red Player of the Year – will be revealed at the gala awards dinner in the New Zealand Room at SKYCITY next Tuesday night. Go to www.warriors.co.nz to purchase tickets.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v BRISBANE BRONCOS

Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
6.30pm, Saturday, September 10
Referees: Jared Maxwell and Shayne Hayne

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 KEVIN LOCKE
2 BILL TUPOU
3 JOEL MOON
4 SHAUN BERRIGAN
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 AARON HEREMAIA
10 JACOB LILLYMAN
11 FELETI MATEO
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 MICHEAL LUCK
Interchange:
LEWIS BROWN
LANCE HOHAIA
BEN MATULINO
RUSSELL PACKER
UKUMA TA’AI

COACH: IVAN CLEARY

LINK

hitman82

Bench
Na, I am serious. I have seen many clubs do this.

It may not be the case and it be Sanyo being a dick, but is Inu qualified to play for Vulcans this weekend? Is Topou? I have not kept track of many Vulcans games these guys played.

Trying to rationalise.

Tupou 14 games first grade 2011.
Inu 12 games first grade 2011.

But I'm pretty sure the Vulcans' success would have zero bearing on Warrior selection policy.

I suspect it's a combination of:

-Berrigan and Tupou being an established (and therefore safe in Cleary's mind) pairing.
-Cleary hating Inu for some unknown reason.

Juju

Juniors
The rule is any Warriors player is eligible for reserve grade if the top side is still in the running in FG.

Meth

Staff member
To be fair to Tupou, he has done the job asked of him. But yeah, disappointing.

Cleary is obviously keen to show faith in Tupou and he obviously has no faith or time for Inu. We have a right to be disappointed, but not surprised- Cleary's preference of Tupou over Inu has been clear for some time.

Hopefully he has a blinder. Who is he marking?

Micistm

Bench
To be fair on Billy - his kick returns, and his tough runs have been great all year. Let's hope the kid has a blinder.

Seconded. He's been solid this season and I don't mind him there...but IMO Inu is very hard done by after a great game last week. If anyone needs to play their way back in it's Manu. Hard to say as everyone likes Manu, but he hasn't been his best for a while.
But-Team's picked, whats done is done...good luck to them.

Sef0r

Juniors
I don't post often, but this pisses me off. Inu pissed me off with his kick returns and his laid back running against the Dragons but man did he pick up his game against the Cowboys.

I just hope Bluey comes in and puts Tupou to Centre and Inu to the right wing.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Is Inu simply a victim of being qualified for NSW cup finals and Topou not?

Just wondering.

Both are available for NSW Cup, but that would have zero impact on selection. They are putting out what Ivan believes to be the best side.

Not me, mind you. I think Inu should be there. For all Tupou's ball-carrying strengths, he is piss poor with the ball on the ground through foot, the ball in the air, and on keeping his width defensively.

kos

Juniors
Bl..dy Cleary. Inu is a special player with the high ball on attack and defence.
He can defend to win or attck to win us the game.
So Cleary picks Mr Average-Billy Tupou whose poor defence has been on show for a few weeks now.

Ukuma is number 5 on the bench -he is our lucky charm.

I am not feeling as confident about this game as I was. I will not be happy with Sanyo coming out of Suncorp on teh bus surrounded by Broncos supporters giving it to me.

devoid

Juniors
Ukuma is number 5 on the bench -he is our lucky charm.

Bench is listed alphabetically; Brown has been playing centre almost exclusively for most of the year (Vulcans included), and judging by Berrigan having scans yesterday, it looks to me as though Brown is there as 18th man/Berrigan cover - Ukuma will play, and Ukuma will destroy.

One Warrior

Bench
Cleary dropping Inu after his game against the Cowboys really p*sses me of, what more does he have to do, this could well be difference between us progressing further in the finals or not.

Warmess

Juniors
As soon as I saw that this thread was 3 pages long, I knew Tupou got picked ahead of Inu.

Absolutely geniused. Inu has outshone Tupou in the last 2 games by far. Definitely deserved to keep his spot, while Tupous form in the last 2 should have seen him dropped.

I certainly hope Berrigan can keep Reed in check, otherwise it's gonna be a loooong night.

hitman82

Bench
As soon as I saw that this thread was 3 pages long, I knew Tupou got picked ahead of Inu.

Absolutely geniused. Inu has outshone Tupou in the last 2 games by far. Definitely deserved to keep his spot, while Tupous form in the last 2 should have seen him dropped.

I certainly hope Berrigan can keep Reed in check, otherwise it's gonna be a loooong night.

If a dirty ginger costs us our home semi final I'm going to be really pissed.

devoid

Juniors
Does anyone else think that if we lose this one we're gone? A few weeks ago Melbourne and Manly looked odds on - but both look shaky to me now. In saying that - if we win it's a double reward, by possibly eliminating either the Tigers or the Dragons too.

Latest posts