Finals Week 2 vs Souths

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by getsmarty, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Juniors

In terms of leg speed; Cook is a Ferrari, McInnes is a Volkswagen.

possm and hazzbeen like this.
  2. Mickthedragon

Mickthedragon Juniors

Good call with Lomax over Aitken if true.
    Sele is one of those players that could also prove a few wrong if given the opportunities.

Como Connection and blacksafake like this.
  3. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

Exactly. I said In an earlier thread that win lose or draw the experience he gets from this game, especially marking Inglis will do him the world of good moving forward.

This Year?, Life's Good and hazzbeen like this.
  4. Okrad

Okrad Juniors

I just hope we do go with 4 forwards on the bench. We have to bash their forwards for 80 mins to win this one !

5. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

Cook is the key to whether we will win this game or not. His go forward is what will put us back on our heals, especially late in the first half and again late in the crucial last 20 mins. Tie him down, inhibit his running game and he starts getting a bit frustrated. This will also effect his service out to his backline.

I expect Souths to target JDB in the front line to test out his ankle and lateral movement. They will also bomb to Dufty and Periera.

The battle between the "Goanna" and the "Gifted one" will be enthralling in itself.

Saints by 4

6. SBD82

SBD82 First Grade

I've got an awful feeling about this game.

Last week I had a sense of hope, and I couldn't explain where it came from. This week I can't shake the feeling that we are done.

Goddamn I hope I'm wrong. Give em hell boys.

Crush likes this.
  7. rednwhites

rednwhites Juniors

Will have to make sure we are not chasing in this one. Can't see us blowing them off the park like we did with Broncos but could grind a win out. Never say never after last week. Rabbits should win if it's a matter of best team on paper. It's a game of moments however, we can take our chances and put it to them. No idea what will happen but I just hope we turn up for starters.

This Year? likes this.
  8. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

Dear Souffs,

f**k you.

I hope we end your shitty season you useless pricks.

Yours faithfully,

muzby.

9. Tigers Tale

Tigers Tale Juniors

It might be a bit late to do this SGI fans but you should have all tossed in a few bucks each to hire 4 or 5 extra big screens for the stadium....the Burgess brothers just cant stop looking at themselves on these big screens and it might have been just enough to put them off their game. The Tigers played Souths a few weeks back and Sam was going in under the post and I swear he looked up at the screen and dropped the ball over the line.

All jokes aside.....good luck tomorrow.

10. Gm5

Gm5 Juniors

I'm the complete opposite

11. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

It's got nothing to do with the screen.

He just has hands like feet.

WoyD4LWoy likes this.
  12. epDragon62

epDragon62 Bench

OK, OK, McI is only a 2.0L turbo engine at least...

Old Kogarah Boy 1 and WoyD4LWoy like this.
  13. dwight12

dwight12 Juniors

Daily telegraph have broken the story that the photos are on sam Burgess' account. I can't read or paste the article as I'm not a subscriber.

WoyD4LWoy likes this.
  14. WoyD4LWoy

WoyD4LWoy Juniors

I saw that too mate unfortunately I am not a subcriber either

15. getsmarty

getsmarty Coach

St George Illawarra landed in a parallel NRL finals universe
    • AFL
      [​IMG]
      Last laugh: Dragons coach Paul McGregor is plotting a run deep into the NRL finals series.
    • They face South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night. Picture: Adam McLean

• What parallel rugby league universe have we just stumbled into?

A weird zero-gravity place where St George Illawarra head into an NRL semi-final without an overwhelming sense of expectation?

A reality where Paul McGregor is actually praised by Dragons fans – and doubt lingers over whether Wayne Bennett has a job next year.

But here we are, bizarro world.

The curiously-timed “chaos” surrounding South Sydney and allegations of players exposing themselves to a young woman on webcam has ratcheted up the heat at Redfern.

While the full circumstances of the incident are being investigated by the club and NRL integrity unit, Souths have the small matter of beating the Dragons and keeping their premiership hopes alive to worry about.

Back here in Wollongong, there’s a whole different vibe going on.

The Dragons are unshackled from the usual millstone of pressure around their neck, which halted their campaigns in one form or another in 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 and last year.

The win over the Broncos was McGregor’s finest hour.

Even the Twitter trolls had begrudging respect for his coaching efforts to turn it around.

A season sliding out of control, saved just as they were about to hurtle off the cliff. Dragons fans even had time to exhale with about 12 minutes left, knowing victory was theirs.

A mixture of relief and celebration washed over them, as boom rookie Zac Lomax pulled out the party tricks, with a perfectly-timed kick for Matt Dufty to streak away and score in the final moments.

It was a sensation not felt since Jason Nightingale, then Dean Young and Nathan Fien scored tries in the space of 10 minutes to seal the premiership in 2010.

And few expect the Dragons to progress any further this year, which is their biggest asset.

Lomax, Jordan Pereira and Blake Lawrie are unburdened by past failures.

Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims appear to have tapped into the State of Origin mentality which helped NSW win the series.

Ben Hunt looked like he was actually enjoying his footy again, though Gareth Widdop’s latest injury raised the performance bar for him against the Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night. Rugby league players spend so much time being controlled, from recovery to game day.

They’re characterised as chess pieces and robots by the supporter base.

The season review will be fascinating, evaluating how it all went horribly amiss before the Brisbane recovery mission, with players let off the leash.

This is rugby league bizarro world and the Dragons are suddenly revelling in it.
    https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5645443/mcgregor-revels-in-alternate-reality/?cs=2375

WoyD4LWoy and Old Kogarah Boy 1 like this.
  16. English Rose

English Rose Juniors

This could go one of two ways. He will be either put off his game because of it or he will be angry about it and look to take it out on the field!

WoyD4LWoy likes this.
  17. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 Bench

I’m a V8 man.......only milk & orange juice comes in 2 litres.

18. Crush

Crush Bench

Game Day!
    I haven't felt this nervous about a game in years.
    Go the mighty SGI Dragons!
    Just give it everything and leave it all on the park.

19. Smack

Smack First Grade

Cummins and Sutton, they f**king hate us

20. ALSGI

ALSGI Juniors

Our biggest game in 8 years, should be a beauty.

Can’t believe the bookies are still paying over $4. Got to take that.

Night games on a weekend are a fukcing joke, all for the stupid tv ratings.

There will be biff tonight. There will be blood spilled. Do us proud you mighty Dragons.

This Year?, WoyD4LWoy, Crush and 2 others like this.