What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 vs Souths

possm

Coach
Of course there talking it up the papers ect.
The two most famous clubs in the nrl.
A all sydney final.
Why not.
If we lose it want be because a few people are talking us up.
Re the players the clubs have to send them to the pressers ect as its nrl rules.
I know we will be right.

Dragons v Penrith, how good does that sound. It would be a sell-out!

TruSaint

Referee
Of course there talking it up the papers ect.
The two most famous clubs in the nrl.
A all sydney final.
Why not.
If we lose it want be because a few people are talking us up.
Re the players the clubs have to send them to the pressers ect as its nrl rules.
I know we will be right.

Fair enough mate.
All i was alluding to was the build up to last week as compared to this one. Our comments were much more subdued, and humble.

Yes I know players need to meet NRL requirements re press coverage etc.
I didnt like Dufty buying into the selection process for a start.

All good, like I said just my opinion.

TruSaint

Referee
41848454_1981934748541013_8351883804826140672_n.jpg

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
St George Illawarra meanwhile continue to monitor Jack de Belin (ankle) and James Graham (concussion), with the club hopeful both key forwards will be right to take on South Sydney.

Coach Paul McGregor on Friday morning confirmed centre Euan Aitken (hamstring) would not return in the centres, meaning impressive youngster Zac Lomax will play and retain goal kicking duties.

giboz71

First Grade
St George Illawarra meanwhile continue to monitor Jack de Belin (ankle) and James Graham (concussion), with the club hopeful both key forwards will be right to take on South Sydney.

Coach Paul McGregor on Friday morning confirmed centre Euan Aitken (hamstring) would not return in the centres, meaning impressive youngster Zac Lomax will play and retain goal kicking duties.

Seems Sharks and Dragons had a similar dilemma.

They both have incumbent centres with an injury cloud, and exciting youngsters waiting in the wings. My take is, if their coaches genuinely thought they were the best option, he would play them. Put it this way, I somehow doubt that Dugan and Aitken are any more hurt than JDB and I bet you Jack still plays.

The fact is, Lomax and Ramien are the better options for their respective teams. This is just the round about way in saying it.

Gareth67

First Grade
Looking forward to a great game of rugby league in which will undoubtedly be a titanic battle of the 2 forward packs . The rabbits big , strong and very mobile , whereas the Dragons have that tough-nut mentality that could very well grind Souths down into the turf .

The only obstacle that I can see is that our boys put everything into the Broncos match and as a result could run out of gas towards the end of each half . This is where they will rely upon both Leilula and Lawrie to continue on with their great form of late .

Dragons by 10 !

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: De Belin set to defy pain of injured ankle for another week
AFL
r0_0_4355_2903_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH: Jack de Belin at training. Picture: Adam McLean

HOW tough is Dragons lock Jack de Belin? He's carrying an ankle injury that would keep most players out for four to six weeks for a start.

If he's not scared of needles, he's sick of them having played with pain-killing injections since round nine as he wrestled a niggling rib complaint pre and post-Origin.

He'll do the same against South Sydney this week and, barring any late mishaps, with coach Paul McGregor saying on Friday he expects his side to be 1-17.

They're not the actions a player who shut up shop after a series win with the Blues as some have suggested, but de Belin admits it was a mental challenge going down the other side of that mountain.

“I can see where they're coming from but it's not the case at all,” de Belin said.

“Rugby league's a weird kind of game, sometimes you can be trying your guts out and things just don't go your way and you're down on your luck.

“In a sense it is difficult you work so hard to reach the pinnacle of the sport and once you make it you've got to come back down again. It was difficult going from such a big arena to coming back to club footy but, individually, I need to be better.

“It doesn't matter what goes on, week in, week out you've got to perform. I hadn't necessarily done that after the Origin series and I've got no one to blame but myself for that.

“I wasn't really alone there, as a team we weren't performing. It was a difficult little period there but I think going into the finals was perfect for us. All you've got to do is make the top eight to give it a little shake-up and we did that last week, we're looking to do it again this week.”

De Belin completed a light run on Thursay but sat out Friday's captain's run, with the final call likely to be made before kickoff. It'll be another tough effort, but de Belin said his body's actually held up well.

“I've been pretty lucky I haven't had any serious injuries,” he said.

“Most of them have been little niggly ones that you need time to get right, at this time of year you don't have any time to get right. It's been difficult, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't but, I wouldn't have it any other way.”

McGregor said the determined effort to get onto the park underlines de Belin's importance to his side, particularly against a Souths pack regarded as the best in the competition.

“He's a very, very good player and he proved that this year in the highest arena of Origin footy for the first time in his career,” McGregor said.

"He's not a young bloke anymore, he's well into his career, and with that comes leadership and that experience he gets, he needs to bring that back to his club.

“You can go around and ask any player, I don't think any player's playing at a hundred per cent [fitness] this time of year.”

The glaring absence of skipper Gareth Widdop aside, McGregor will have the same 17 that blew Brisbane off the park last week, with youngster Zac Lomax retaining his place at right centre despite the availability of Euan Aitken.

It'll put the teenager head to head with childhood idol Greg Inglis.

“We've got our forward pack that took the field last week, the only change is Kurt coming in for Gareth and we'll bring an interchange player in, otherwise we're one to 17 from last week,” McGregor said.

"Euan's coming back from a hamstring problem which is a difficult one at this time of the year and he hasn't really hit over 80 per cent speed.

“He was available for selection but we're not pushing him right now, we didn't go down that road.

"GI's a special player. It doesn't matter if you're most experienced player in the competition or the least experienced, he's going to give you problems, but the kid'll go well.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...in-of-injured-ankle-for-another-week/?cs=2375

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack de Belin cleared for Rabbitohs semi-final clash, Euan Aitken ruled out
AAP, The Daily Telegraph
September 14, 2018 12:39pm

JACK de Belin will walk out of a moon boot and into a do-or-die NRL finals match for St George Illawarra for the second week in a row against South Sydney on Saturday night.

While Souths coach Anthony Seibold himself admitted their preparations had been thrown into chaos by the lewd video scandal that broke on Friday, the Dragons have no such dramas.

De Belin didn’t train with teammates in the club’s captain’s run in Wollongong, but after completing a light session McGregor is confident he will be fine to go against the Rabbitohs despite the ankle injury.

1e16482c3bc5aafc9ff165b05efacaa6

Jack De Belin has been cleared to face South Sydney. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)
“Jack’s good, he’s in a better position than he was this time last week so that’s a very pleasing sign,” McGregor said.

“He’ll warm up with everything focused about him playing.”

De Belin’s inclusion is a significant sign of his durability, given he has played all but just a couple of games with a pain-killing injection in either his hip or ankle.

It comes as a massive boost for the Saints, given they are already without State of Origin prop Paul Vaughan for the rest of the year with a foot injury and England international Gareth Widdop with a shoulder problem.

e2b0cacf8bfd51832955e09e0658d790

De Belin has played through injury all season. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)
Shutting down the Rabbitohs pack led by Sam Burgess and his in-form brothers Tom and George will be key, given they provide much of the momentum required for Origin hooker Damien Cook out of dummy-half.

“That’s where the clashes are won. Your halfback is good when your forwards are going well,” McGregor sad “Jack’s a very good player and he proved that in the Origin arena this year for the first time in his career.

“He’s not a young bloke anymore and he’s well into his career. With that takes leadership and with that experience he gets he needs to bring it into his club.”

08453414fa508fab4f54a8c698ee94b9

Centre Euan Aitken won’t return from injury for the semi-final. Picture: Brett Costello
Meanwhile the Dragons won’t play centre Euan Aitken on return from a hamstring injury, with McGregor opting to stick with rookie Zac Lomax to mark Souths superstar Greg Inglis.

“(Euan) is coming back from a hamstring problem ... and he hasn’t hit 80 per cent speed. He was available for selection but we’re not pushing him at the moment,” McGregor said Meanwhile Souths have their own problems, with Adam Reynolds also requiring a pain-killing injection in his right shoulder to take the field and Inglis also taking a rib issue into the game.

STATS THAT MATTER:

* The loser of the qualifying final has won nine of 12 games in the semi finals under the current finals system.

* Favourites Souths have lost four of their past five, while St George Illawarra have won three of the past four.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/a5ecfcecddf0f0fc930999dcfeb1e5a6

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Pereira making every single moment count
AFL
r0_0_4374_2770_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

GOOD SHOT: Dragons winger Jordan Pereira is mobbed by teammates after his hit on Knights forward Mitch Barnett in round 25. Picture: AAP

THE tackle that turned a season? It remains to be seen, but if the Dragons can continue their remarkable finals resurgence against the Rabbitohs this week, Jordan Pereira's shot on Knights forward Mitch Barnett a fortnight ago will look very much that way.

At the very least it turned that match and prevented the Dragons from heading into the finals on the back their seventh loss in their final nine matches.

With the Knights leading 10-8 and looking to extend, and Dragons seemingly shot for numbers on their left edge, Barnett took a pass from the inside and looked for a quick tip on only to be crunched by Pereira.

Nene Macdonald and Matt Dufty scored in the aftermath before Pereira sealed the deal with a late try of his own. A week – and a 30-point drubbing of Brisbane – later, it's looking more and more like a sliding doors moment.

“That moment I looked up, it was fifth and final [tackle] and Mitchell Pearce had the ball,” Pereira recalls.

“When it's the last tackle and I've got Shaun Kenny-Dowall, who's a massive kick target in front of me, it's always going to be anyone's game plan to go to him. I had to have that in the back of my mind.

“I was fairly deep in the in-goal to cover that and then I saw [Pearce] take it close to the line so if it was going to be a kick it was going to be a grubber so I angled towards that.

“I saw Tim [Lafai] got caught on a lead [runner] and that left me to take two men so I just had to jam and try and cut it off early.

“If it was a split-second earlier he probably would've got that pass away and Kenny-Dowall would've been over in the corner but it was just fortunate timing.”

He was mobbed by teammates in the aftermath, but the 25-year-old wasn't immediately aware he'd made such a big play, saying his thoughts were elsewhere.

“I knew it was last tackle and they were in the corner so it's my job, next play I've got to take that carry and get the boys on the front foot and try and speed the game up,” he said.

“My first thought was to get back onside because we'll be playing the ball and to run as hard as I could because I knew they'd be coming in hot to smash me back.”

Now though, a season-turner?

"I guess when things go your way and you see smiles and you see cohesion start to lift it's only natural that morale goes with it and I think we took it into the next game,” he said.

It's a keystone moment in what's been a remarkable season for a guy who learned the rules of the game playing park footy in Perth before linking with Mackay in the Queensland Cup.

Then came the call a day before last season's June 30 transfer deadline when the Dragons threw him the lifeline that saw him drive 26 hours from North Queensland to Wollongong to ink a minimum wage deal.

After spending the bulk of the season stuck behind regulars Nene Macdonald and Jason Nightingale, Pereira earned his shot in round 19 and hasn't missed a game since.

It's a hell of a ride, but not one he's over-thinking just yet.

“I'm obviously very proud of the journey that's come about but, at the end of the day, it's just football,” he said.

“I'm just trying to simplify it and not over-crowd my mind and focus. I think the positive I took out of it going through those early rounds [in reserve grade] was that I was training against the best team in the comp.

“I was only getting better and better as the year went on because they were such a tough side in the NRL and we were training against them. I feel that's what got me ready for the job at hand.

“At the time it's hard because you don't really think you'll get a go because they're going so well but you've just got to stay ready and wait for an opportunity to pop up. That's what happened and I'm still here now.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5643000/pereira-making-every-single-moment-count/?cs=2375

LINESPEED

Juniors
Looking forward to a great game of rugby league in which will undoubtedly be a titanic battle of the 2 forward packs . The rabbits big , strong and very mobile , whereas the Dragons have that tough-nut mentality that could very well grind Souths down into the turf .

The only obstacle that I can see is that our boys put everything into the Broncos match and as a result could run out of gas towards the end of each half . This is where they will rely upon both Leilula and Lawrie to continue on with their great form of late .

Dragons by 10 !

I’d’ve added Host to a 4 forward bench & ideally put Field on Pereira’s wing and chip behind the rushing defence all day.

Lomax has the height & ball skills to take any bombs directed at Field.

The guy’s now 85kg - the same weight as half a dozen immortals, so don’t peddle the ragdolled shit?

Give him a crack or he’s a Cowboy?

PS Yeah Yeah OK - it ain’t gonna happen, but we can dream combinations eh Frank et al?

And Mary had him on the bench 2 week’s ago, so he’s not far off even conservative McGregor’s radar?

getsmarty

Immortal
frizellt_2nh_5989.jpg

DRAGONS

Dogs drubbing changed Dragons' season: Frizell
Author
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 14 Sep 2018, 01:56 PM

St George Illawarra enforcer Tyson Frizell believes the embarrassment and abuse they copped from their 38-0 drubbing at the hands of Canterbury may be the trigger that reignites their premiership dreams.

Frizell described the loss at Kogarah three weeks ago as one of the lowest points in his career, conceding the anger and vitriol from the fans after the siren would act as motivation as they head into a do-or-die showdown against South Sydney on Saturday night.

"That was a real downer. To allow people to question our integrity asking did we really want to go out there and play," Frizell said.

"We had so much to play for. We had a top-four position on the line, and to not put in a performance that respected Lance Thompson and also give Jason Nightingale a send-off he deserved was the most disappointing part.

"I didn't really notice the abuse too much during the game, but after the game I saw it. If we would have lost you can cop that on the chin, but not playing to our potential to be any sort of shot in that game was the most disappointing part. It could be the turning point. I hope it is our turning point. It's do-or-die now, so it has to be our turning point."

The Dragons have had some memorable wins at Kogarah in recent years. It's a venue that has largely been kind to them.

frizell-vs-inglis-180912_02.jpg

Tyson Frizell will come face to face with Greg Inglis on Saturday night. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
But on that afternoon against the Bulldogs in round 24, the fans turned on them.

"There's a cage that you walk under when you walk into the sheds," Frizell said.

"Usually it's rattled because they are cheering you on. But it was getting smashed for all the wrong reasons. The abuse was crazy. As much as you want to block it out, you can't. it's everywhere. In the media, in the papers and on social media. We were embarrassed. It was really hard to cop that day. We were very disappointed in ourselves. It took a couple of days to get over.

"You wear a lot of it. People on the outside are quick to criticise when you're not doing too well but are quick to give you a pat on the back when you're winning. That's where your mental state comes into it, not trying to ride the emotion of it each week too hard. You have to enjoy the wins and cop the losses but you have to move on really quickly. There's a game each week and if you hold on to it too much that's when your mental state can really rattle you."

Very little was said amongst the players in the sheds after the game. There was no spray. There was no one pointing the finger.

Rabbitohs v Dragons - Semi-Final

Each of those 17 players knew within themselves that they didn't do right by the club or their fans and have vowed never to feel that way again.

"It was silence," Frizell said.

"Sometimes talking too much can mask what really needs to be done. More action needs to take place. You can talk about what we did wrong or what we can do, but sometimes just holding on to it and realising that feeling and keeping it inside knowing you never want to feel like that again. That's the best thing for your preparation to make sure it never happens again."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/14/dogs-drubbing-changed-dragons-season-frizell/

Latest posts