What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 vs Souths

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb_1nh_6056.jpg

NRL NEWS

Player ratings: Rabbitohs v Dragons
Author
Chris Kennedy & Peter Jolly
Timestamp
Sat 15 Sep 2018, 10:14 PM

Player ratings for South Sydney Rabbitohs and St George Illawarra Dragons following their finals meeting at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

1. Alex Johnston
Showed good pace and evasiveness at the back and produced a first-half line break but wasn't really able to spark his side in attack. 6

2. Campbell Graham
Some strong early carries and bounced back well from a couple of knocks. Had ball stripped late ahead of Dragons go-ahead penalty. 5.5

3. Greg Inglis
Fairly subdued night from the skipper who was hardly sighted in the opening 40. Got more involved late as he looked to lift his team. 5.5

4. Dane Gagai
Arguably the best of the Bunnies back five; plenty of surging runs and really went looking for work. A key component of the solid right side defence as well. 7.5

5. Robert Jennings
Unusually quiet outing for the flanker on the end of the competition's most dominant edge but got through his yardage carries for 123 metres. 5

6. Cody Walker
Very busy in the first 15 then took a back seat as game wore on. Penalised late to hand Dragons the lead with five to go. 5

7. Adam Reynolds
Beautifully composed effort from the general who ended up scoring all his team's points. Kicked well from the back foot in the first half and combined beautifully with Crichton for a crucial second-half try and kicked three – yes, three – ice-cold field goals in a one-point win. A masterclass in game management that some on the other side could learn from. 9

burgesst--1gp_5771.jpg

Rabbitohs prop Tom Burgess. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
8. Thomas Burgess
A big stint in the middle from Tom, who finished with 177 metres and 35 tackles. 7.5

9. Damien Cook
Typically industrious knock from the in-form rake with plenty of trademark shoots out of dummy half netting 152 metres and a big defensive workload with a team-high 42 tackles. One of only a handful of Rabbitohs to play well in both halves. 9

10. George Burgess
Early head clash with his twin but returned from HIA in head gear to knock out 115 metres. Got barely 20 minutes across three separate stints. 5.5

11. John Sutton
Cold drop to give Dragons a chance early and missed Hunt for opening try. One of many Bunnies who played much better in the final 20 minutes than the preceding 60. 4.5

12. Angus Crichton
Somewhat of a frantic performance from the Blues back-rower. Gave up some very costly penalties, one in possession, but greatly improved in second half. Great work to set up Adam Reynolds try and finished like a steam train. 7.5

13. Sam Burgess
Threatened to be another error-ridden game when he came up with a cold drop early but bounced back well in second stint with some good carries and offloads as Souths finished over the top. 6.5

14. Hymel Hunt
Never got on the field. 0

15. Cameron Murray
Got on early for a George Burgess HIA and played another huge 200-metre spell off the bench. Late strip to help Souths get the level-up field goal was a massive play. Arguably the best of the Souths forwards. 8.5

murrayc-180914_gt_08.jpg

Rabbitohs forward Cameron Murray. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
16. Jason Clark
Just 24 minutes for the departing club favourite and spent most of it tackling. Pinged in possession for an incorrect play the ball. 5

17. Dean Britt
Got more minutes than last week when he spent 80 on the bench but not by much. Did nothing wrong in his 10 minutes on the park. 3

Dragons

1. Matthew Dufty: Relatively strong at the back in defence, and when he touched the ball he was dangerous, asking questions of the Souths defence. 6/10

2. Nene Macdonald: Was the quiet achiever, making the most metres for his team. Also showed quick thinking to put opponent into touch after loose ball for a big first half play. 7

3. Zac Lomax: Was a confident display from the 18-year-old, who was prepared to try something different with attack; grubber kicking into in-goal and flick pass off-loading. However, execution often let him down. Was big in defence with 24 tackles and had a perfect goal-kicking rate. 6.5

4 Tim Lafai: Came out firing, sparking a minor scuffle after his high tackle on Angus Crighton, but was soon left stunned from a "crusher" tackle. Had a fairly low work rate with 10 runs and nine tackles. 5

5. Jordan Pereira: Seen as an inexperienced winger, he was tested in the first half under the high ball but stood up to the challenge. He was also good in defence, making some important tackles as Souths tested the right edge. 7

6. Kurt Mann: Had big shoes to fill in the absence of Gareth Widdop, but showed a really strong running game, often creating holes in the Souths defence. Made over 100 metres in attack. 7

7. Ben Hunt: Scored the game's opening try with a brilliant show-and-go. A mixed bag with his kicking game. Will rue his decision not to kick the ball long on the Dragons' final possession when they handed Souths the ball in crucial field position and Reynolds iced the game. 6

8. James Graham: Ran straight and hard as usual.The Englishman was just as valuable in defence with 37 tackles. 6

9. Cameron McInnes: Was kept fairly quiet in attack, especially in the first half, but made up for that with his defensive workrate, finishing with a team-high 49 – and didn't miss one. 6

Match Highlights: Rabbitohs v Dragons – Semi-final, 2018

10. Leeson Ah Mau: Was a mixed night for the prop; penalised for a high shot early, he only had four carries in his opening stint. He still had 38 tackles, and was the only Dragons player to concede two penalties. 5

11. Tyson Frizell: He was dazed early in game but quickly recovered, showing his ball handling skills to create a dangerous counter attack. Made a very important play late in the match with a strip that led to the penalty that gave his side the lead with a few minutes remaining. 8.5

12. Tariq Sims: Suffered a knee injury early in the second half and was forced off the field, from which he did not return. 5

13. Jack De Belin: Was again dangerous in attack, good counter attacking skills and speed to put Dragons in dangerous positionthat led to opening points for his side. Had a high work rate with 15 runs for 123 metres, and 39 tackles. 7

14. Jeremy Latimore: Came on midway through the first half and a clumsy challenge on Campbell Graham landed him on report. Was solid in defence with 24 tackles from his 33 minutes on field, but just eight runs. 5

16. Blake Lawrie: Played just 32 minutes, but still had an impact while on the field, managing 11 runs and 23 tackles. 5.5

17. Luciano Leilua: Came on straight after half-time to replace the injured Sims, but was kept fairly quiet, with three runs and 12 tackles. 4.5

19. Jai Field: Had very limited game time, with just nine minutes, which led to very low numbers, but did the job he had to do. 3

nrl2018_finals-bracket-week-3_sharks-rabbitohs_1650x1080.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/15/player-ratings-rabbitohs-v-dragons/

rednwhites

Juniors
Would have loved to be at the game, almost did make it over from WA. To anyone who was at the match I'd like to know who they thought had the larger fan base of the 48,000. Seemed like we may have edged them in that department from where I sat. Awesome atmosphere and a game that didn't disappoint.

Bossy

Juniors
The club won’t recover for decades after that effort in the last 4 or so minutes. Rugby league suicide.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Great effort by all the boys tonight - both young and old and also the injured players that went out there tonight .
They gave their all and I could not ask for anything more than that . We will be a far better team next year for the experience of the last couple of matches .
Cannot wait until 2019 - the year of the Dragon !
Is it the year of the dragon? I mean as on the Chinese calendar?
I honestly don't know but i hope it is?

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor disagrees with Cameron McInnes penalty that cost Dragons
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

df47701a1928f05bc1eb727d15fb0d56

Cameron McInnes was penalised for deliberately passing the ball into Cameron Murray.Source: FOX SPORTS
IT was a key moment that shifted the momentum of the contest in the Rabbitohs nailbiting 13-12 win over the Dragons.

Dragons’ hooker Cameron McInnes was penalised for deliberately passing the ball into Cameron Murray, as he lay in the ruck.

The Dragons were pressing the Rabbitohs and the penalty relieved all the pressure and enabled South Sydney to get a piggyback up the field.

Get ready for cricket like never before. FREE Sport HD + Entertainment until the first 4K cricket ball as part of 3 months free on a 12 month plan. SIGN UP TODAY. T&Cs apply.

Semi Final

698826_640x360_large_20180915214754.jpg

Cam pinged in play-the-ball

0:47
Dragons coach Paul McGregor did not agree with the ruling in his post match press conference.

“It was a big important call,” McGregor said.

“The rule as I know it to be is that it’s only a penalty if the passer changes his line of pass and I’m not sure Cam (McInnes) did that.

“Obviously Cameron Murray didn’t get out of the way so it could have been play on.

“That’s fine he didn’t have to get out of the way, he just didn’t have to move, but obviously the pass was in line with someone who was going to receive the ball, which was Jack de Belin.

“To my liking Cam didn’t pass it down, he passed it flat, so I’d say play on.

“Obviously Bernard Sutton will come out and he will have a slightly different version possibly or maybe the same I’m not sure.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/5e57b1899b8759fe7c9c83ab7263e758

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Absolutely gutted as we are probably all feeling right now. Super proud of the effort over the last two weeks and didn’t even expect to be playing this week. Tonights defensive effort was gutsy to keep Souths to one try and whilst we didn’t have a great deal in attack we did fight like caged lions. Super proud.

I’m sure the Ben Hunt running on the last tackle is going to be the headline but if you watch it again if he throws a second man pass we were away and who knows what would have happened. I guess at the end of the day a kick to the corner would have been a better option then the hail mary on the last tackle. In saying that I don’t think we would have been in any position to win the game as Souths were dominating the field position and were likely to kick the winner.

On the positive Mann is a great runner of the ball and looks dangerous everytime he touches it.. He looks good as a running 5/8 or with early ball would make a great centre.

Anyway super proud of the effort from a team that with the bad luck with injuries over the past couple of weeks we shouldn’t have even been in the positions they were.

Here’s to next year. I’d like to see a new coach and feel that Mary probably deserves some coaching gig at the club. Learning from someone more experienced might set him up for another turn later down the track. I feel that he may at least deserves this option if he wants it.

"On the positive Mann is a great runner of the ball and looks dangerous everytime he touches it.. He looks good as a running 5/8 or with early ball would make a great centre"

Mann and Lomax 2019 centres......Mann is not really a 5/8. I think a 5/8 needs to have a decent kicking game to take the heat off the halfback.

If McMuffin (don't really rate him but he did great tonight on hit ups and mtrs gained) stays then all we need is a one more shit hot winger and we have a comp winning team minus the coach.

There is plenty of younguns that could fill that number 5 or 2 jumper. Wake up Mary and smell the salt before the 2019 starts.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
"On the positive Mann is a great runner of the ball and looks dangerous everytime he touches it.. He looks good as a running 5/8 or with early ball would make a great centre"

Mann and Lomax 2019 centres......Mann is not really a 5/8. I think a 5/8 needs to have a decent kicking game to take the heat off the halfback.

If McMuffin (don't really rate him but he did great tonight on hit ups and mtrs gained) stays then all we need is a one more shit hot winger and we have a comp winning team minus the coach.

There is plenty of younguns that could fill that number 5 or 2 jumper. Wake up Mary and smell the salt before the 2019 starts.
Oh and I forgot...Robson needs to be in the 17 to give CM a breather and a pathway out. I think Robson is a huge talent and will play rep footy so i hope we keep him in the Red V forever.

Nope i'm not a relative, mate, know him, next door neighbour etc... I have watched a fair few ISP games and I like what i see.

nickdragons90

Juniors
I want to add my 2 cents to this, dragons brave tonight, but the McInnes penalty really gives me the shits, how did that ref find a penalty against the dragons when he passed the ball into a Souths player who made no attempt to clear the ruck but the absolute f**kwits find a Souths penalty. Really ?

Dragon Blood

Juniors
C'mon you're better than that Samy,
FU DQ, let Samy express how he feels as entitled and the right to do so as a TRUE Dragons supporter rather than sticking up for an ass licking media generated love for grubs like the inglis FWIT.

Refuse to use a capital I for his surname cos he's a filthy player taught by the best down south in Mexico AKA Melbordome.

Hills Dragon

Juniors
I'll take three things from this game - The Bunnies scored an absolutely crucial try off a blatantly forward pass. The Dragons got penalised at a crucial point of the game because a Souths player didn't get out of the way of the Dragons dummy half passing to the ball runner. And Ben Hunt is a good player but crumbles under pressure. Why the f--k would you run it on the last when the game's tied up at 12-all?

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Just got home from the game and gutted to lose like that as we all are.
Poor game management/injuries have cost us in the end but the boys can hold their head very high.
They took it right to them and should of got the win in the end if it wasn't for a few of those last stuff ups.
Onwards and upwards though and prouder than ever to be a dragon tonight.