What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 3 vs. Storm Discussion + Voting

analyst

Juniors
I think the pressure is definatly on melbourne for a few reasons,

1.they are fav with them at $1.25 and brisbane $3.00 or somthing like that
2.melbourne are at home
3.wallace is out
4.I think henjak has already surpassed expectations in his first year ,he has also said every win now is a bonus.

considering the above ,all the pressure is on melbourne so im hoping as a broncos fan that all of this will take some toll on melbourne and brisbane can play a care free type of game ,thats one kind of game to play or they can basically do to melbourne what they did to dragons and just be brutal up front

Broncos93

Juniors
Disappointing tonight. The team shifts certainly did not work. Should have gone with Glenn at halfback the whole match and kept our formation. We only used our signature second man play once in the whole game, and it was the only team we even looked like scoring in the first half. Lockyer looked confused and not sure what to do at halfback.

I think three people that certainly didnt give up the whole match were Glenn, McCullough and Thaiday. 2 Points to each of them.

user_nat

Coach
Hmm.. going to be hard to get a 3-2-1 for that game.

Easier to criticize:
Hodges had his worst game in awhile.
Lockyer was lost.
Carrol has no idea how to score tries.
1-17 can't defend.
What was Henjak thinking? Woeful decisions relating to the Wallace loss.
-
Anyhow.. wasn't expecting us to make it this far at any point this year, so well done there.

Country Bronco

Juniors
I'm going to do this, no matter how hard it is. I take nothing way from melbourne, they played really well. For us, looking forward to mad sunday. I'm proud of their efforts over the last 7 weeks it takes something special to do what they've done and made this year a success.
Tonight I thought McCullough, Thaiday and Clinton all played well. They get my 3,2,1 in that order.

We'll be back next year.

Karizma

Juniors
I'm going to do this, no matter how hard it is. I take nothing way from melbourne, they played really well. For us, looking forward to mad sunday. I'm proud of their efforts over the last 7 weeks it takes something special to do what they've done and made this year a success.
Tonight I thought McCullough, Thaiday and Clinton all played well. They get my 3,2,1 in that order.

We'll be back next year.

I wholeheartedly agree.

The storm raped us and we supplied the lube..

Bring on 10 baby

Broncos93

Juniors
One thing that did piss me off in the game, which by no means am i using for an excuse, cause we got smashed fair and square, but the refereeing was a big factor in our loss. Penalty count was something like 6-1? But I mean, we were penalised on Storm's 5th tackle for holding a player as he was getting up on a dominant tackle. You can't penalise a team on the 5th tackle for something like that, it practically handed Melbourne two points when Brisbane dropped their heads. Johnson also lost that ball cold, although I guess it made up for Billy Slater's try which wasn't sent upstairs.

Pistol

Coach
One thing that did piss me off in the game, which by no means am i using for an excuse, cause we got smashed fair and square, but the refereeing was a big factor in our loss. Penalty count was something like 6-1? But I mean, we were penalised on Storm's 5th tackle for holding a player as he was getting up on a dominant tackle. You can't penalise a team on the 5th tackle for something like that, it practically handed Melbourne two points when Brisbane dropped their heads. Johnson also lost that ball cold, although I guess it made up for Billy Slater's try which wasn't sent upstairs.

that decision by the video ref was piss poor to say the least. Johnson got up and he didnt believe he scored. this separation rule is totally BS. we didnt deserve to win, obviously. the performance of the side wasnt up to scratch and locky looked lost at half. but that decision by the video ref certainly didnt help matters. it turned a 20 metre option to 6 points against us.

salivor

First Grade
I think we got what we deserved last night for our negative tactics. Ben Hunt should've played, the club has had plenty of experience with playing players like Carroll at 5/8 or halfback to know it has never worked. Hopefully this serves a lesson to Henjak.

johnnyg

Juniors
Well done to Melbourne. Absolutely smacked us tonight. Their play the ball speed was amazing compared to ours.

grandorient

Bench
Commisserations Bronc's, I was cheering for you last night.

First the Dragons, now you guys, F*ck, know exactly how you feel from last week.

I don't care what anyone says, I have no doubt Henjak and the newer boys will learn heaps from the match and take nothing but positives into next year.

All the best for 2010.

GO

DeeJ

Bench
Abysmal effort. I don't see how we can be so fired up against St George then almost not want to tackle any Melbourne players. Attack went to pieces, Lockyer's kicking game not up to scratch. Too many stupid basic errors.

Bayside Bronco

Juniors
I think we got what we deserved last night for our negative tactics. Ben Hunt should've played, the club has had plenty of experience with playing players like Carroll at 5/8 or halfback to know it has never worked. Hopefully this serves a lesson to Henjak.

Spot on. Henjak falls at the final fence. Overall a decent recovery to get where we did and last weekend was a corker. But last night I was in the kitchen cooking the kids dinner before half time. Shame.

Dazzat

First Grade
Spot on. Henjak falls at the final fence. Overall a decent recovery to get where we did and last weekend was a corker. But last night I was in the kitchen cooking the kids dinner before half time. Shame.

I don't think the result would have been much different if they'd gone with Ben Hunt at halfback, but I agree with Sal regarding the negative tone Henjak set by playing Tunza at 5/8.

Alot of coaching is about 'setting the tone', and when you show faith in players they have the chance to respond.

I've got a feeling next year Henjak will be blooding alot of new players, including Hunt.

DeeJ

Bench
I don't think having Tunza at 6 wasn't too much of a negative strategy (although compared with options like Marsh, Hunt and Gorrell it was), but he was probably the best pick out of those who played, including Glenn.

Remember in 2007 when Carroll played 5/8th, he was throwing some incredible cut out passes!

8Ball

First Grade
All in all, a successful season with a new coach. Was always gonna be difficult losing your halfback the week before going into a major preliminary final. Just happy to make the finals after that mid season slump..

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

Ben Hunt wasn't the answer, he couldn't even dominate the attack in the 20's game, Norman was much more dangerous... Imo Glenn should have started and finished playing in the position with the corresponding number on his back, halfback! And then Lockyer could have played his natural game...

Anyway, really great turn around by the Broncos, considering they looked like missing the finals altogether. Really disappointing effort against the Storm (why played very well, btw), you don't need your best halfback on the field to tackle with aggression. But a relatively good season for the Broncos!

beads6

First Grade
Ben Hunt wasn't the answer, he couldn't even dominate the attack in the 20's game, Norman was much more dangerous... Imo Glenn should have started and finished playing in the position with the corresponding number on his back, halfback! And then Lockyer could have played his natural game...

Anyway, really great turn around by the Broncos, considering they looked like missing the finals altogether. Really disappointing effort against the Storm (why played very well, btw), you don't need your best halfback on the field to tackle with aggression. But a relatively good season for the Broncos!

IMO Ben Hunt was so poor in the under 20's because he had his confidence shattered by not being picked in first grade when he reall should have been.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Have to agree if Origin has taught us anything Carroll, Marsh, Gorrell and the like should never again be played as makeshift halves. Ben Hunt deserved a crack, he might not have changed the overall result but at least Lockyer would have played a lot more naturally. Hit the gym Benny and improve your defence because I for one believe u have the skills to go all the way. The kid will never fulfill his potential playing in the shadows ala Buster "I like a drink or two hundred" Seymour. Hodgo and Izzy never seen any ball whatsoever against the Storm and Locky looked like a chook with its head cut off trying to be a flippin no.7. Storm too good, fullstop !

Broncos93

Juniors
Just an observation, in the last 4 years our season has ended with Melbourne. 06 we won in round 4 of the finals, 07 we lost in round 1, 08 round 2, 09 round 3. Following this cycle we're due for another Grand Final win next year :)

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Broncos93, love the optimism.

I'd love to get some votes, I know it maybe difficult, but hey we've managed in the past against superior scorelines (Round 4 vs. Melbourne 05 springs to mine...). Unfortunately I can't lead the charge as I'm yet to see the full game (D'oh, why do schools throw reunions at such pivotal parts of the season?) and the highlights/score updates did little to inspire me.

Speaking of the votes, I'll tally those up as soon as I get a consistent internet connection. Unfortunately, the internet at home is capped meaning it takes around three minutes to get from one page to another. I've got other alternatives, but tallying up votes while sourcing out pictures/dates seems a little...nerdy and I like to keep that side at home. :p

Anyways guys, it's been great, we've come leaps and bounds as a club and as a board. We've seen more posters join and others return which should only help our little community grow come 2010 where we'll continue to debate the merits of our club till the cows come home! Never the less, as long as we remain active and we have a team to support, I'll be happy to log in every night!

On that point, I didn't mind the selection of Alex Glenn at halfback. From watching the Under 20's you could tell Ben Hunt wasn't right, he was barely up to that standard, let alone NRL so there was little to suggest he'd make a suitable replacement for Wallace, unless you wanted to see him experience a first hand whooping. In saying, Henjak should've started Glenn and mixed things up a little with the side. Instead, we were far too predictable and against a club like the Melbourne Storm who have Bellamy as a coach, we were always going to be easy opposition. It didn't help a number of our players decided to save the worst until last.

As I see it though, we should be proud of our boys for getting as far as they did and look forward to the off-season. If the rumours are true, we have a lot to be excited about.