What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial crisis

parrachilean31

Juniors
An investigation by The Daily Telegraph has revealed that annual grants from the licensed club industry to the nine Sydney NRL sides they support has been slashed by a third in just five years - from $28.8 million in 2005 to an estimated $19.1 million this year.

Senior teams are now desperately feeling the pinch and junior and grassroots competitions have been decimated.

The State Government's unpopular poker machine tax has been identified as the major reason behind the stunning reduction in grants from leagues clubs to football clubs.

"It is a major problem for the game. Rugby league could be in a drastic state within two to three years," Souths' chief executive Shane Richardson said last night.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

NRL boss David Gallop said clubs were hurting badly. "There have been numerous examples of clubs being forced to drop teams out of junior competitions and cut competitions altogether," he said.

"Cuts across the board have impacted on every club. I can definitely say that our footy clubs have been hit hard by the leagues clubs being put into a position where they haven't been able to provide the traditional funding sources."

The cuts also come amid an exodus of punters from clubs and a resurgence of gambling in pubs.

St George Illawarra enjoyed a $4.5 million grant in 2007, which has now been reduced to $2.9 million in 2010.

The Sharks' $2.5 million grant in 2008 has been pruned to $750,000 in 2010, Parramatta are down from $5 million in 2008 to $3 million and Penrith drop from $6 million in 2004-05 to $3 million this year.

Souths boss Richardson said: "We have to make sure clubs don't collapse but it's a real danger. This $10 million is the tip of the iceberg. The only way clubs will disappear is through natural attrition.

"Leagues clubs can't afford to keep putting money in. I have great confidence in the game but rugby league has major financial difficulties.

"Hopefully the membership drive will solve some problems, but we need a business plan that doesn't rely on poker machines.

"I've been saying this for four years but no one has listened. It's biting hard."

Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys and Panthers boss Mick Leary also spoke of their fears. "Clubs are facing a difficult challenge. It's not easy," Humphreys said.

Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne said his club was exploring every path to financial security. "This is why membership is important. We are looking at all revenue streams," Osborne said.

The Bundaberg Red Cup was cut from 12 teams to 10 last year and just eight this season.

And last year the Roosters were forced to pull out of the Harold Matthews and S G Ball junior competitions after their leagues club funding dropped from $6 million a year to its current level of between $3-4 million.

The powerful Souths Juniors has even been hit, recording a $6 million loss last year as it tries to comply with the 2007 indoor smoking ban. Latest figures show gaming revenues in clubs have taken another dive, prompting warnings from some operators clubs may soon be unable to provide any rugby league funding.

A spokesman for NSW Treasurer Eric Roozendaal said Clubs NSW agreed to the tax rates through a memorandum of understanding, and that the Government had introduced financial hardships provisions to assist clubs experiencing a decline in gaming revenue.

Are we in trouble financially ??? What are your thoughts??

Gronk

Staff member
Pretty much pre-printing that same old stuff. Everyone is pretty much aware that licensed club subsidies are shrinking and that alternative income streams are required in the future blah blah blah.

planeteels

Juniors
The Eels are in a better position than many of the other districts and our Leagues & District clubs have not changed their committment to the Juniors. The Grant for 2010 remains unchanged - this at the time when the likes of Manly, Cronulla and Souths have had in excess of 30% reductions on grants to the Junior Leagues in those areas. I believe the Sharks actually had a majority of their funding stopped during Zappia's days

Sadly the reductions are a double edged sword fo the Eels as this means that Parra will continue to indirectly fund the Junior Development program for those districts who come along and poach the talent - whilst on the flip side, it is giving a huge opportunity for more players in our district to go further and play in quality competitions.

Last edited:

Glenn

First Grade
Obviously no player scandals, so no news has got to have something to fill the league quota.

So Firstly adding the link to the Story in the Telegraph.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m-licensed-clubs/story-e6frexnr-1225830699774

DT Story said:
CONCERNED NRL chief executives fear some Sydney-based clubs could collapse amid revelations that almost $10 million has been hacked from their budgets.

An investigation by The Daily Telegraph has revealed that annual grants from the licensed club industry to the nine Sydney NRL sides they support has been slashed by a third in just five years - from $28.8 million in 2005 to an estimated $19.1 million this year.

Senior teams are now desperately feeling the pinch and junior and grassroots competitions have been decimated.

The State Government's unpopular poker machine tax has been identified as the major reason behind the stunning reduction in grants from leagues clubs to football clubs.

"It is a major problem for the game. Rugby league could be in a drastic state within two to three years," Souths' chief executive Shane Richardson said last night.

NRL boss David Gallop said clubs were hurting badly. "There have been numerous examples of clubs being forced to drop teams out of junior competitions and cut competitions altogether," he said.

"Cuts across the board have impacted on every club. I can definitely say that our footy clubs have been hit hard by the leagues clubs being put into a position where they haven't been able to provide the traditional funding sources."

The cuts also come amid an exodus of punters from clubs and a resurgence of gambling in pubs.

St George Illawarra enjoyed a $4.5 million grant in 2007, which has now been reduced to $2.9 million in 2010.

The Sharks' $2.5 million grant in 2008 has been pruned to $750,000 in 2010, Parramatta are down from $5 million in 2008 to $3 million and Penrith drop from $6 million in 2004-05 to $3 million this year.

Souths boss Richardson said: "We have to make sure clubs don't collapse but it's a real danger. This $10 million is the tip of the iceberg. The only way clubs will disappear is through natural attrition.

"Leagues clubs can't afford to keep putting money in. I have great confidence in the game but rugby league has major financial difficulties.

"Hopefully the membership drive will solve some problems, but we need a business plan that doesn't rely on poker machines.

"I've been saying this for four years but no one has listened. It's biting hard."
Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys and Panthers boss Mick Leary also spoke of their fears. "Clubs are facing a difficult challenge. It's not easy," Humphreys said.

Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne said his club was exploring every path to financial security. "This is why membership is important. We are looking at all revenue streams," Osborne said.

The Bundaberg Red Cup was cut from 12 teams to 10 last year and just eight this season.

And last year the Roosters were forced to pull out of the Harold Matthews and S G Ball junior competitions after their leagues club funding dropped from $6 million a year to its current level of between $3-4 million.

The powerful Souths Juniors has even been hit, recording a $6 million loss last year as it tries to comply with the 2007 indoor smoking ban. Latest figures show gaming revenues in clubs have taken another dive, prompting warnings from some operators clubs may soon be unable to provide any rugby league funding.

A spokesman for NSW Treasurer Eric Roozendaal said Clubs NSW agreed to the tax rates through a memorandum of understanding, and that the Government had introduced financial hardships provisions to assist clubs experiencing a decline in gaming revenue.
At least in this one Osborne has said that we are looking at surviving instead of being resigned to that "Goodnight" in 5 years time.

I still however can not see Membership as a "White Knight" for clubs. I am yet to be convinced. The TV deal and change of structure might help though, and that can only be a boon for the clubs and the league in general.

parrachilean31

Juniors
To all parra just got a warning about not putting link on the page I apologize still learning how to use this forum. Seriously warnings common guys sorry for not knowing how to use it please people get a life and relax someone could have just told me and not give me a warning.

Well that was one of the major points form the League administration meeting that with the change in administration and hence the freeing up of duties to News Corp and the streamlined structure, the grant could rise to a point where 11 of the 16 clubs would be profitable, and with an increase in the TV rights, 15 of the 16 clubs would be profitable a few years later.

planeteels

Juniors
One would assume that Channel Rex (7) are positioning their pieces to accomodate a serious bid on the next rights contract. If that isn't the case it seems a bit odd that 7 with their AFL contract would move to put a League show hosted by Matthew Johns on at 7.30pm on a Thursday (scheduled to start in the same week as the NRL season commences.)

strider

Post Whore
It's going to have to come down to more TV money for sure
yeah .... everyone is ranting and raving about memberships, but I reckon members will come and go with the fortunes of teams on the field - its just how it is .... so the more reliable money really needs to come from the TV deal and sponsors

To all parra just got a warning about not putting link on the page I apologize still learning how to use this forum. Seriously warnings common guys sorry for not knowing how to use it.

A warning is LU's way of telling you that you need to post a link. You are given a warning so that we can keep track of how many times you have not followed the rules. There are no serious consequences other than that you have been warned and Mod's would now expect you to know the rules and not make the same mistake again.

LU is not immune to breach of copyright and could be sued for posting unsourced material, hence we all have to take it fairly seriously.

The Forum rules are there for everyone to see and you should read them before you use the site. "Not knowing" is not an excuse.

please people get a life and relax someone could have just told me and not give me a warning.

If we were casual about these sorts of things, you may be personally liable for copyright breach as well as this site. Which would you prefer? A warning from a Mod or a trip to court for something so innocuous?

FTR, complaining about being moderated is also against forum rules so you could well be warned again. My suggestion would be to cop the warning, remember it next time you post an article and everything will be fine and you can enjoy your time on LU.

born an eel

Bench
apparently if the changes signalled by the Federal Governments productivity commission report go ahead our clubs income will reduce by 40-45%.
The club will then have to dramatically cut support for the league teams.

The changes will mean the club will face difficulty remaining open.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
To all parra just got a warning about not putting link on the page I apologize still learning how to use this forum. Seriously warnings common guys sorry for not knowing how to use it please people get a life and relax

Maybe you could do with a little less caffeine yourself

Someone could have just told me

We did but I dont recall anyone ordering the firing squad just yet

and not give me a warning.

It may look harsh on the surface but we've found it to be the best system, its good that you take it serious, unlike some others, as it will now probably never happen again.

Cheers

Latest posts