What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial fragility of the game

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly, it's a massive threat to nine. Gives us our independence to go out and find an actual partner that will help grow the sport. Worth $50 million today in 5 years could be $200 million and growing. That's why the league puts money into it and staff. Whilst the media tell us that's mismanagement of funds and drive our CEO out of town, of course Nine and Fox have no self interest in this, next thing you'll be saying that Fox use to deal with Gallop and pay unders for TV rights back in the day........c'mon that's self interest, media companies don't deal in that it's about helping RL for them :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

big hit!

Bench
NRL f**king clueless if they sell it to nine. Remember when Telstra ran and operated if , was pathetic . Now you can actually access proper articles via nrl website not like the clickbait we see with DT and SMH.
a few reasons why they need to keep it
- can be the vehicle to overseas markets such as the states which our partners have not given a f**k ( you would think news limited would have made use of fox in states to grow game )
- the manner both fox and nine trying to screw them on this years fees , you would want a plan b to bump up your revenues .
- the clubs are even worse at spending than Nrl,
- cbs/10 will be in a great position to challenge for the rights along with amazon / google etc. next deal

‘you don’t see the AFL broadcast partners try to take advantage of the, and bone them

boycott channel nine
ch 10 - the #3 network. and has been since its inception. yeah, they'll be bidding big for rubba league.

and you don't think another network would try to bargain on rights?

don't forget the NRL did all they can to try and get to April 1 and the 2nd quarterly rights payment. They would've got half the year's total rights fee for just 3 rounds of footy if they made it. They were essentially trying to screw the broadcasters because everyone knew the writing was on the wall re suspension of competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ch 10 - the #3 network. and has been since its inception. yeah, they'll be bidding big for rubba league.

don't forget the NRL did all they can to try and get to April 1 and the 2nd quarterly rights payment. They would've got half the year's total rights fee for just 3 rounds of footy if they made it. They were essentially trying to screw the broadcasters because everyone knew the writing was on the wall re suspension of competition.

I have no problem with a reduction this year based on amount of reduced content, they can take a jump though if the6 want the game fir less for 21&22. I’d rather see a less fta deal from ch10 or 7 in 2023 than give these merkins the game for less now.

it’s not so much the renogtiation it’s how they are doing it, stinks and is not how a partner should behave. You certainly aren’t seeing ch7 carrying on like this, or even fox amazingly.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors

and why wouldn’t the nrl try screw them .
Nine are using this to try change format of games they have . Renegotiate and extend contract for less years , using their own media (smh) to back their agenda , trying to buy the only asset they have after publically hammering about finances . Having the temerity to dictate where the game spends its money
Who the f**k are they .. would you accept your boss to demand going through your finances and how to plan to spend money because they pay you wages. Or do you have the right to demand your phone carriers financials and details as to why they spending money because your their customer ..;l NO

THIS IS SUPER LEAGUE MARK 2 instead of news limited trying to literally own the game , it’s channel nine

nrl should leave these cancers and whilst at it f**k off news. Both have been cancers to the game and do deals with the American media companies who will probably treat the game better

Cactus

Juniors

And these two points are justification for 9s behaviour ?

What you appear to be saying here is that IF 9 had made the 2nd Q payment then the NRL was going to screw Nine & just keep the money despite no broadcasts by 9 during that period.

Fckin lolololololololololol

Nerd

Bench
If I was on the board of the ARLC I would negotiate for reduced games this year and on the following 2 seasons it would be this is what you signed up for if you want to break the contract that's fine and see you in court. As for contract extensions you just know this will be negotiated under duress and the ARLC should hold fire on this till the seasons end. The way Fox are sacking staff will they even still be around in 2 years time?
Now is the time to keep building on the digital arm as a possible streaming alternative to a defunct Foxtel and in 2 years time throwing open the rights to FTA and even splitting the game on more than one FTA channel if required. The days of big rights deals may be gone but so should be the days of 9 or Fox controlling the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If I was on the board of the ARLC I would negotiate for reduced games this year and on the following 2 seasons it would be this is what you signed up for if you want to break the contract that's fine and see you in court. As for contract extensions you just know this will be negotiated under duress and the ARLC should hold fire on this till the seasons end. The way Fox are sacking staff will they even still be around in 2 years time?
Now is the time to keep building on the digital arm as a possible streaming alternative to a defunct Foxtel and in 2 years time throwing open the rights to FTA and even splitting the game on more than one FTA channel if required. The days of big rights deals may be gone but so should be the days of 9 or Fox controlling the game.

this ^

the days of fta being able to pay more for exclusivity may be over. Time for 2 games Ch9, 1 game and origin ch10. Highest bidder gets finals. That will be the way to maximise the next deal.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Nine are using this to try change format of games they have . Renegotiate and extend contract for less years , using their own media (smh) to back their agenda , trying to buy the only asset they have after publically hammering about finances . Having the temerity to dictate where the game spends its money
Who the f**k are they .. would you accept your boss to demand going through your finances and how to plan to spend money because they pay you wages. Or do you have the right to demand your phone carriers financials and details as to why they spending money because your their customer ..;l NO

THIS IS SUPER LEAGUE MARK 2 instead of news limited trying to literally own the game , it’s channel nine

nrl should leave these cancers and whilst at it f**k off news. Both have been cancers to the game and do deals with the American media companies who will probably treat the game better

I agree it is like Super League #2 except that was for Pay TV this is for Digital. Alot at stake as you can see by their actions.

If the COVID-19 had not happened they were still planning on running Greenberg out not because of the false claim they have peddled of him mismanaging money but because he was obviously a road block to what they want.

V'landys makes me nervous for the games future, I just pray he proves me wrong.

big hit!

Bench

NRL were attempting to get money for nothing before all the bargaining from Nine and Fox began - half the years total rights (including SOO and finals) for just 3 games of provided content knowing the suspension was coming. If they received the 2nd qtr rights, players would be getting paid in full for sweet FA, and probably pissing the leftover up in other ways as normal. that's been the trend.

don't forget the NRL have already been paid advance $10m, on top of all the other loans and advances over the years, so it's not like the broadcaster hasn't been helping the game out when it needed it.

the NRL has allowed the broadcasters to bully them around because they have been inept to control their own shit and continually relied on them to bail them out. the master/servant relationship had already been set. NRL have no one to blame but themselves.

take off the rose-coloured glasses and ignoring the fact the NRL/ARL/ARLC/the game once again is awful at controlling its financial affairs.

big hit!

Bench
I have no problem with a reduction this year based on amount of reduced content, they can take a jump though if the6 want the game fir less for 21&22. I’d rather see a less fta deal from ch10 or 7 in 2023 than give these merkins the game for less now.

it’s not so much the renogtiation it’s how they are doing it, stinks and is not how a partner should behave. You certainly aren’t seeing ch7 carrying on like this, or even fox amazingly.

fox are riding on the coat tails of nine. letting Nine do the dirty work, then saying, "yeah we agree with that too" a day later. looking innocent but just as cunning in this using a different approach.

the AFL have had their shit together and haven't used SevenWest as a Western Union branch over the years. a different dynamic in that relationship. the AFL have also not been afraid to go elsewhere as they did for 5 seasons when nine and ten held the FTA rights.

the AFL also haven't played out their return publicly. for all we know, the AFL have consulted Seven every step of the way about their probable return options.

Heisenberg

Juniors
big hit!...
One could very easily make an argument that the AFL are riding off the coat tails of the NRL. Letting V’landys and the ARLC get their hands dirty and create a precedent for the AFL to use to get their competition started.

As for your comment on the NRL trying to get payment for Q2, that’s just ridiculous. This is a little more complicated than your mate skiving off when it’s their shout...

Bloody oath the NRL have done the hard yards.

There's been suggestions that AFL squeezing politicians' nuts in Canberra to hold back the NRL's start. It'd be interesting to know just how much truth there is to this.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
$15mill a year to run, brings in $27mill a year! F*** off Ch9 should be the short answer to their proposal!

“In a statement earlier this month, Nine criticised the NRL for its "bloated head office" and "years of mismanagement" and now the company has asked ARLC chairman Peter V’landys to provide a breakdown of how he intends to significantly reduce costs at Rugby League Central. That breakdown has not yet been outlined.”

Oh and “ps Ch9 f*** off it’s none of your business“ should be at the bottom of the email!

Hahahah, i just imagine strolling into a McDonalds, slamming my hand on the counter and saying “this place has too many costs!! I want to see a cost cutting plan right now!”

I wondering if they would bother to call security or just laugh me out.....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahahah, i just imagine strolling into a McDonalds, slamming my hand on the counter and saying “this place has too many costs!! I want to see a cost cutting plan right now!”

I wondering if they would bother to call security or just laugh me out.....

ch9 seem very confused about the difference between an investor and purchaser!

Mr Parramatta

Juniors
I agree it is like Super League #2 except that was for Pay TV this is for Digital. Alot at stake as you can see by their actions.

If the COVID-19 had not happened they were still planning on running Greenberg out not because of the false claim they have peddled of him mismanaging money but because he was obviously a road block to what they want.

V'landys makes me nervous for the games future, I just pray he proves me wrong.
If it wasn’t for PV I don’t think we would be where we are now, so I feel comfortable with him in charge, at the very least for now, his affiliations with certain organisations don’t bother me, just want footy back

LeagueXIII

First Grade
fox are riding on the coat tails of nine. letting Nine do the dirty work, then saying, "yeah we agree with that too" a day later. looking innocent but just as cunning in this using a different approach.

the AFL have had their shit together and haven't used SevenWest as a Western Union branch over the years. a different dynamic in that relationship. the AFL have also not been afraid to go elsewhere as they did for 5 seasons when nine and ten held the FTA rights.

the AFL also haven't played out their return publicly. for all we know, the AFL have consulted Seven every step of the way about their probable return options.

And the AFL haven't had a super league war.