What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financial Incentive To Relocate A Sydney Team

What are your thoughts on the NRL providing financial incentives to a Sydney club to relocate to an expansion area eg Perth, Adelaide, NZ2? My idea would be to start at $15 million and each year increase it another $10 million until a Sydney club takes the carrot.

flippikat

Bench
What are your thoughts on the NRL providing financial incentives to a Sydney club to relocate to an expansion area eg Perth, Adelaide, NZ2? My idea would be to start at $15 million and each year increase it another $10 million until a Sydney club takes the carrot.
It'd take a lot, and any Sydney club that accepts it will get a LOT of flack from fans unless they can really justify it (eg "We're broke, this saves us"). Even then, it's a VERY tough sell.

Thing is, I remember hearing someone here say that the grant that clubs get from the NRL pretty much keeps them from going broke.

Then again I read that the Sharks were in some strife when Vlandys became Chairman... so *shrugs* maybe there's scope for mismanagement or just plain dumb luck to cripple a club's finances to a level where a relocation carrot becomes attractive.

One of the real shames is that the relocation of North Sydney hit a speed-bump (construction delays on their Gosford Stadium) and in the whirlwind that was the early days of the NRL, it was never made a priority to support that relocation & grant the Bears a bailout AND an ongoing stand-alone licence (with NO expectation of merging, in recognition of them "jumping before being pushed").

I strongly believe that a well facilitated relocation as Central Coast Bears (with all the support the newly created NRL could muster) over the end of the 1990s would have made relocation a far more palatable option for struggling Sydney clubs, and could have avoided some of the dysfunction we've seen from joint ventures.

Pippen94

First Grade
It'd take a lot, and any Sydney club that accepts it will get a LOT of flack from fans unless they can really justify it (eg "We're broke, this saves us"). Even then, it's a VERY tough sell.

Thing is, I remember hearing someone here say that the grant that clubs get from the NRL pretty much keeps them from going broke.

Then again I read that the Sharks were in some strife when Vlandys became Chairman... so *shrugs* maybe there's scope for mismanagement or just plain dumb luck to cripple a club's finances to a level where a relocation carrot becomes attractive.

One of the real shames is that the relocation of North Sydney hit a speed-bump (construction delays on their Gosford Stadium) and in the whirlwind that was the early days of the NRL, it was never made a priority to support that relocation & grant the Bears a bailout AND an ongoing stand-alone licence (with NO expectation of merging, in recognition of them "jumping before being pushed").

I strongly believe that a well facilitated relocation as Central Coast Bears (with all the support the newly created NRL could muster) over the end of the 1990s would have made relocation a far more palatable option for struggling Sydney clubs, and could have avoided some of the dysfunction we've seen from joint ventures.

Easier to get sponsors in Sydney. Gosford stadium is great & has been there for years, but clubs better off down the road in Sydney. That's why nobody has moved there.

blue bags

First Grade
This relocation cherry has been offered before
Panthers were ready to go to relocate to Perth. Decades ago. Then Gus goulie got loans from Kerry package. Saved The club
Panthers got really busy smart. Reorganised the club. Into what they are Now

Latest posts