What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finucane

Frenzy.

Immortal
But is it a pre existing injury, or has the concussions created a new injury.

Obviously related but new ??
I'm assuming no. The bicep was. He's had over 10 concussions/whiplashes. The club can apply of course but it's against the odds.

When checking past retirements it's worth noting the wording in the articles. Very few mention "medical" retirement although it's talked about. The usual vernacular is retirement on medical advice. Andrew Davey, Boydio, Friend, Mickey Morgan etc all retired on medical advice. Some have said some of them got an NRL approved medical retirement but there's not much evidence to that in searches. Te Maire Martin got one. Burgess got one.

In the end it matters not. The Sharks have lost an on field leader and inspirational player. A guy has lost his livelihood. He's lost his game.

There's positive but not a good time to be excited about them really.

DJDL

Bench
NO.
He would bring more rust than you'd find in a 1962 VW combo abandoned at Boat Harbour.

There is not a like button strong enough to convey how much I agree with this.
The kid seems to have headspace issues, and I hope he gets that under control, but I don't want him anywhere near our squad.
Not even as a water runner.

jc155776

Coach
NRL will never refuse medical retirement based on head knocks these days. Especially when there is so much documentation of Dale getting knocked the f**k out and soldiering on over the past 13 years.

Medical retirements dount count against the cap. Big clubs rort it with most of the south’s ones later playing elsewhere after miracle recoveries.

Stake Removed

First Grade
I'm assuming no. The bicep was. He's had over 10 concussions/whiplashes. The club can apply of course but it's against the odds.

When checking past retirements it's worth noting the wording in the articles. Very few mention "medical" retirement although it's talked about. The usual vernacular is retirement on medical advice. Andrew Davey, Boydio, Friend, Mickey Morgan etc all retired on medical advice. Some have said some of them got an NRL approved medical retirement but there's not much evidence to that in searches. Te Maire Martin got one. Burgess got one.

In the end it matters not. The Sharks have lost an on field leader and inspirational player. A guy has lost his livelihood. He's lost his game.

There's positive but not a good time to be excited about them really.
I feel for him, I could only imagine what Dr said ,and probably outlined what potentially could happen with any more.
And probably has told him the amount he has already had the percentages are higher for future medical conditions, and if his wife was with him, it would have hit hard.
But family always has to come first, thats where the decision is actually easier.
If he had no responsibilities outside of himself he probably would have played on.
From what everyone says about him, clubs will be lining up for his services off the field.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Once again kudos to management for keeping this under wraps again...speaks volumes for the professional way we now operate. As others have said...no way the NRL blocks this considering the current ephasis on head injuries. Whoever said take a look at Shitster needs to give themselves an uppercut. Get Jack and Kayel re-signed asap and I'll be a happy chappy. And thanks for your efforts Rambo...look forward to your future contributions to the club in a non-playing capacity.

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
It does sound like the doctors made a call and he tried everything to get another opinion which did not come. All roads lead to the end here.

It is a flat feeling watching him retire. He has been the backbone of a cultural shift and provided us with a ton of leadership when we have lost Graham, Fifita and Moylan recently. 990 games between those 4. You can argue the output from those 4 was not value for money but it is a balancing act of experience and talent. Look at the Broncos a few years who when they had all the talented jnrs but no leadership. They go buy Reynolds and Capewell and turn things around.

I hope this allows us to keep Jack Williams.

Frenzy.

Immortal
NRL will never refuse medical retirement based on head knocks these days. Especially when there is so much documentation of Dale getting knocked the f**k out and soldiering on over the past 13 years.

Medical retirements dount count against the cap. Big clubs rort it with most of the south’s ones later playing elsewhere after miracle recoveries.
I don't think NRL approves them though. I believe it is the NRL's insurer. NRL just makes a decision on salary cap exemption.
McManus would seem a comparable case and he got medical retirement.
He did, but he failed in a Supreme Court compensation case after that. He may not have gotten it if successful at court.

Eion

First Grade
I don't think NRL approves them though. I believe it is the NRL's insurer. NRL just makes a decision on salary cap exemption.

He did, but he failed in a Supreme Court compensation case after that. He may not have gotten it if successful at court.

I guess we’re talking about a few different things here.
1. Does the Sharks, or their insurer, have to pay out Dale’s contract (remainder of this year plus his $350k or whatever it is for next). Don’t really care on this point. Dale will get his money and we can afford it.
2. Salary cap. Can wipe Dale’s 2025 contract from the cap? This is the important question and I think we should be able to.

The McManus court thing was for future damages and accusing the Knights for mishandling his concussions. That won’t be an issues for us I imagine and the insurer would likely defend that in any event.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I guess we’re talking about a few different things here.
1. Does the Sharks, or their insurer, have to pay out Dale’s contract (remainder of this year plus his $350k or whatever it is for next). Don’t really care on this point. Dale will get his money and we can afford it.
2. Salary cap. Can wipe Dale’s 2025 contract from the cap? This is the important question and I think we should be able to.

The McManus court thing was for future damages and accusing the Knights for mishandling his concussions. That won’t be an issues for us I imagine and the insurer would likely defend that in any event.
That one, salary cap ememption, is an NRL decision based on the insurer's decision (by the book). Might happen as they can probably do what they want in the end. We don't even know if the club has applied. I assume they will be.

With the McManus thing the point I didn't make well is that if the court case, that didn't even go ahead was done prior to the approval for med ret the med ret may not have been approved. The NRL was unsettled around all this at the time.

One to watch no doubt

Last edited:
Good decision by Dale.
Yes he has his life ahead of him. Why risk potential further catastrophic injury through any more concussions or neck injury.

He has nothing left to prove. But even if he did you have to make the long term decisions for yourself and your wife and family.

I don’t know why players like Luke Keary haven’t retired yet themselves. Just crazy for someone to persist playing when as soon as they get another knock to the head they’re instantly concussed. It’s a silent killer. You can’t see the damage but your brain is slowly deteriorating.

A bit like if only smokers could see their lungs that might shock them into stop smoking. Or heavy drinkers seeing their liver.

Dale has been a champion player during his career and champion bloke. I wish him all the best for the future.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Both Bellamy and Fitz can't speak highly enough about him, those 2 carry a lot of weight within NRL circles

Latest posts