What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked 2024

Chimp

Bench
After this week we'll have played the teams who in 2023 finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th and 15th. It's been a hell of a draw.

You'd think once that is past there has to be some improvement. Hopefully.
I alluded to this on a different thread - I think the plan to bring Wayne back has been there all season, probably even pre-season.

Souths would have looked at the draw and known they were likely to be in trouble, as they’ve had an awful draw to start the year. They could have sacked JD earlier, but in reality, barring a miracle, they’d have been in a negative position at this point in the season regardless of who was coaching. It made sense to wait until this week to dump JD, as they’re expected to lose this week anyway, and then the easier draw starts to come. They couldn’t leave JD in place after this week, as the likelihood is, regardless of who’s coaching them, they’ll start picking up wins against the other cannon fodder teams. And if they start winning, it’s harder to sack JD.
As it is, they’ve enough evidence in results to justify dumping JD, and now they can’t lose, if the team starts picking up wins, they made the right decision, if they continue losing, it shows how much they need Wayne in 25’.

Maaaaate, that roster should have won 3 comps by now, that coach is fkn sht

Yes, cause injuries and suspensions play no role in a team's season eh? :rolleyes:

Its fact that from the 2019 GF until Round 1 of this season, the Roosters nominal first string 17 has been available 0 times due to injuries and or suspensions.

Valheru

Coach
Maaaaate, that roster should have won 3 comps by now, that coach is fkn sht
The fluctuation of opinion on the quality of our players from opposing fans is truly amazing.

Goes from complete duds to they should never lose a game depending on what particular agenda they want to drive.

Valheru

Coach
Yes, cause injuries and suspensions play no role in a team's season eh? :rolleyes:

Its fact that from the 2019 GF until Round 1 of this season, the Roosters nominal first string 17 has been available 0 times due to injuries and or suspensions.
You look at the seasons since we last won the comp in 2019...

2020 they finished top 4. Lost the first two games then had the covid break and needed to make up ground in a shortened season.

2021 was the infamous injury toll which conveniently gets forgotten by the detractors. The team Robbo had at his disposal for most of the season had no right to make the finals. They finished 5th and won a finals game. Probably his greatest year as coach IMO

2022 was a bit of a dud I have to admit. Thought we would go on after 2021 but it just didn't happen. They still rallied to make the finals.

2023 was shit in the first half but then they come good and were derailed by injuries again. They nearly knocked off the storm in the semi with a 2-5 of Pauga, Momirovski, Allen and Paulo.

I don't expect opposition fans to know the ins and outs of our seasons so it is fine for them to say he should have got more out of the squads but the irony is, he has consistently got more than he has any right to out of below par teams during high injury tolls.

nick87

Coach
If Robinson was sacked today, he'd have multiple clubs reaching out to gauge interest by COB.
Id pray to every and all gods for Stuart to move into a front office role (because not even the gods could get Stuart sacked) and have Robinson replace him as HC

Re: The bunnies going after Bennett... very hard for me to imagine ways that works out and the Bunnies win titles with Bennett as HC. I think the Rabbitohs should swing for the fences and bring in a rookie rather than go with a retread option

Apey

Staff member
Robinson is highly overrated but he really has no place in this thread, there's about a minimum of 6 other coaches that would go before he did.

Bennet hasn’t won a premiership in 12 years and has won 2 in the last 20, despite often getting the pick of the litter in terms of roles.

He won a SOO with a ‘dud’ team so he can obviously get people up for big games. But so did Fatty.

Munky

Coach
Bennet hasn’t won a premiership in 12 years and has won 2 in the last 20, despite often getting the pick of the litter in terms of roles.

He won a SOO with a ‘dud’ team so he can obviously get people up for big games. But so did Fatty.

Combined losses of three points in two other GFs though.

Although the game plan in the second half of the 2015 GF was baffling.

You look at the seasons since we last won the comp in 2019...

2020 they finished top 4. Lost the first two games then had the covid break and needed to make up ground in a shortened season.

2021 was the infamous injury toll which conveniently gets forgotten by the detractors. The team Robbo had at his disposal for most of the season had no right to make the finals. They finished 5th and won a finals game. Probably his greatest year as coach IMO

2022 was a bit of a dud I have to admit. Thought we would go on after 2021 but it just didn't happen. They still rallied to make the finals.

2023 was shit in the first half but then they come good and were derailed by injuries again. They nearly knocked off the storm in the semi with a 2-5 of Pauga, Momirovski, Allen and Paulo.

I don't expect opposition fans to know the ins and outs of our seasons so it is fine for them to say he should have got more out of the squads but the irony is, he has consistently got more than he has any right to out of below par teams during high injury tolls.
I don’t buy it myself. Yes there are injuries, but all teams have them. I know you didn’t mention suspensions, but @Captain Apollo did, and that is part of my discipline point (particularly when it is the same few players giving away many of the suspensions and most of the in-game binnings that are most impactful to results).

You mention it yourself above; there is a slow start just about every year. When you hear Robbo talk about it he makes it seem like part of his master plan; famous ‘breaking the seasons up into smaller components’ mantra that he always seems to bring out this time of year when the Roosters are well behind the eightball. I get you don’t want to be playing your best footy in the early season, but a) the variability in Roosters play from week to week this time of year has been horrendous for a while and b) it doesn’t leave you with a lot of wriggle room come Origin time and the inevitable injuries a league season brings.

Combined losses of three points in two other GFs though.

Although the game plan in the second half of the 2015 GF was baffling.
It’s a good point. He’s not a dud. I just think if another coach had his last decade of coaching as their full resume the media drums would be beating about ‘his inability to close the deal’.

Sometimes we forget that much of his success came a generation ago.

Bazal

Post Whore
Tbh Robbo is a hemorrhoid headed Karen but he's one of probably 2 or 3 coaches I'd be ok seeing BA sacked for. Bennett is not the other.

Which is not to say BA is the third best coach in the NRL before any Parra forum bed wetters find this. Just that he's in a big group of coaches that are all about the same standard on balance - excluding mental Martina who can GTFO and Bennett who is a zombie vampire creature from the underworld.

Wb1234

Referee

Adam Reynolds kicks from the sideline south’s go to golden point

broncos choked in 2015

Wb1234

Referee
It’s a good point. He’s not a dud. I just think if another coach had his last decade of coaching as their full resume the media drums would be beating about ‘his inability to close the deal’.

Sometimes we forget that much of his success came a generation ago.
Took Newcastle to a prelim
South’s to loads of prelims

and a dolphins side predicted to come last which is 2 million under the salary cap lol

Apey

Staff member
Robinson is highly overrated but he really has no place in this thread, there's about a minimum of 6 other coaches that would go before he did.
Just to clarify, I'm using overrated in the literal meaning not the rugba leeg meaning where it's interchangeably used for 'shit' or 'I don't like this person'.

I'd rank him 4th behind Bellamy, Bennett & Cleary. The only reason I'd have him higher on the shit-can list (top 8) is Roosters are a more ruthless club and won't put up with their plod seasons since 2020 forever.