What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacking 2023?

gerg

Juniors
Uncle Nick could turn on him in a heartbeat

signing cronk mayve exaggerated his coaching abilities

they got belted in the forwards today badly

after getting smith they will expect results to turn around soonish

I think there was a stat floating around a few years ago that they had a pretty ordinary win percentage without JWH? Will be interesting to see how they go as they transition away from him.

Just to add, didn’t Gus and Ricky have a falling out over signing Finch? Gus had advised that Thurston was going to be available but Ricky thought Finch was a better prospect. Can’t remember where I heard it but is there any truth to it?

Can't say I've ever heard that one before, so no idea to be honest.

Wb1234

Referee
I think there was a stat floating around a few years ago that they had a pretty ordinary win percentage without JWH? Will be interesting to see how they go as they transition away from him.
No Crichton jwh or Matt lodge they need to dig deep

MKCS

Juniors
Uncle Nick could turn on him in a heartbeat

signing cronk mayve exaggerated his coaching abilities

they got belted in the forwards today badly

after getting smith they will expect results to turn around soonish

I'm a Robbo fan and don't think he should be sacked but I do think you bring up a good point here. Robbo came on board in 2013 and walked into a team featuring a team of stars or future stars, the NSW Origin halfback, the future Aussie Captain (Cordner), a club legend in Minichello and then the club also signed Jennings, Maloney, Luke O'Donnell and Sonny Bill F'n Williams in his prime.

Then all those great players went away, he had a bad season and the Roosters signed Tedesco, Cronk and Keary which saw him have more success.

Now they've tried to do that again with the signing of Brandon Smith I guess and who knows if it'll work but as a coach Robbo has always been surrounded by superstars, he's clearly a good coach but would he have had the same success over his career if he'd been coaching say...the Bulldogs over the past decade?

Apey

Staff member
I'm a Robbo fan and don't think he should be sacked but I do think you bring up a good point here. Robbo came on board in 2013 and walked into a team featuring a team of stars or future stars, the NSW Origin halfback, the future Aussie Captain (Cordner), a club legend in Minichello and then the club also signed Jennings, Maloney, Luke O'Donnell and Sonny Bill F'n Williams in his prime.

Then all those great players went away, he had a bad season and the Roosters signed Tedesco, Cronk and Keary which saw him have more success.

Now they've tried to do that again with the signing of Brandon Smith I guess and who knows if it'll work but as a coach Robbo has always been surrounded by superstars, he's clearly a good coach but would he have had the same success over his career if he'd been coaching say...the Bulldogs over the past decade?
I think he's overrated as a coach (especially by some Rooster fans on here) but he's also comfortably in the top 5 coaches least likely to get sacked so it's kind of silly he's come up in this thread.

But no, I think he'd be close to a nobody at the Bulldogs.

Eelectrica

Referee
Brad Arthur enters the chat.
"Two close losses. A loss next week to Manly and I get a seat warmer. Just in time for winter. Best day ever!
After that we've got Penrith, if we lose that one, maybe I could get a drink bottle holder as well. Could really use one of those.
If we start 0-5 to with a loss to the roosters, maybe they'll give my seat a fishing rod holder. Aw man best year ever!"

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
With all the star players, money and resources that the Roosters have, I’m sure Politis will be disappointed that Robinson has only managed to pick up two premierships in 2013 and 2018. Should have had at least 3.

MugaB

Coach
No. Everyone knows Adam O’Brien was assistant coach at the Roosters that year and technically won it. It’s one of the four NRL premierships that he claims.
Whats his Name.jpg
Fmd wheres the crowd at Allianz, i reckon theres more warriors fan than rorters

Valheru

Coach

2021 was his best coaching performance and all the evidence you need that he is truly in the elite tier.

Yes he has had some very good players in his teams but he is also a key reason players sign with the roosters. Coaching is also more than the players in your team, in 10 years there hasn't been a hint of player miscontent, from all reports every player loves him. He is a manager of people first and foremost.

This notion that he has to coach a side like the dogs of the last couple of years to prove himself is ridiculous. Why should he have to do that?

MugaB

Coach
2021 was his best coaching performance and all the evidence you need that he is truly in the elite tier.

Yes he has had some very good players in his teams but he is also a key reason players sign with the roosters. Coaching is also more than the players in your team, in 10 years there hasn't been a hint of player miscontent, from all reports every player loves him. He is a manager of people first and foremost.

This notion that he has to coach a side like the dogs of the last couple of years to prove himself is ridiculous. Why should he have to do that?
Robbo has a head like an over ripe tomato, he has the pick of the litter when it comes to rosters and still can lose games, hell the warriors almost toweled you up yesterday, mate he might be a great man manager, but he is definitely a shithouse coach..
You both (team & coach) deserve each other

Valheru

Coach
Robbo has a head like an over ripe tomato, he has the pick of the litter when it comes to rosters and still can lose games, hell the warriors almost toweled you up yesterday, mate he might be a great man manager, but he is definitely a shithouse coach..
You both (team & coach) deserve each other

3/10

Wouldn't read again

mave

Coach

Agreed.

And more pertinently, why would he do that?

Jobs like the Dogs are for rookies looking to prove themselves, or failures looking for redemption.

Munky

Coach
What was Ponga even doing there?

Brilliant coaching by the four time GF winner.

Edit: Wrong thread but kinda on topic.

Latest posts