What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacking 2023?

Dogs Of War

Coach
He took them from being a bottom feeding ladder dweller to a premiership, their first ever... all that other shit was bad governance from the club, theyve fixed that now, and leaving a coach to do ALL the work himself will get those results, think dogs Hasler, think tigers Cleary, if your putting all that faith in one man to run a whole operation, there's bound to be corners cut...
As for Shane he walks into any club and gets them top8 within a season or two

I think Manly who ironically was the other club Dank frequented would like to hold onto him as an insurance policy in case the new Seibold experiment fails.

Chimp

Bench
He directly introduced Dank to the players and told them to trust what he was giving them, then when the Sharks got named he lied and claimed that Dank never had contact with the players. And you are suggesting that is not Flanagan's fault, it is poor governance from the club?

I'd rather be a basketcase than a drug cheat.
Hate to let the facts get in the way of another incorrect Sharks/Asada version of events, but it was Trent Elkin (in his role as head of strength and conditioning) who directly introduced Dank to the Sharks. Elkin, as an expert in strength, conditioning and nutrition brought in Dank (from Manly, where the same supplements were used) and put his full trust in Dank. Flanno (not an expert in strength, conditioning or nutrition) was guilty of trusting both Elkin and Dank to do the jobs that they were both highly qualified and being paid to do, in a legal and compliant manner. Flanno was guilty of poor governance - this is not something that would usually fall under the remit of a head coach!
Flanno, just like the players, didn’t and couldn’t have known anything illegal was being taken - hell, even ASADA couldn’t know that, as there is literally ZERO evidence of any wrongdoing. Not 1 failed test, not 1 sample of the actual supplements provided tested and proven to be illegal…. To this day, the players don’t actually know what they took, or if it was indeed a banned substance.
Keep Flanno out of a job, but it’s ok for Trent Elkin to be back working at the Eels as ‘Head of Performance’…. Where’s the grief heading Parras way? Makes sense…..

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon Freddy should be getting sacked after we lose origin again this year.

Clearly has lost the players from last year's debacle.

Players that were in squads last year.
RCG has told Freddy to get f..ked and will never play again.
Wighton has retired
Radley decided to play for England ahead of NSW
Suualli is going to rugby in 2 years after we gave him taste of Origin Camp last year.

firechild

First Grade

Wighton has retired
Suualli is going to rugby in 2 years after we gave him taste of Origin Camp last year.
Thank f*ck. Statistically, the more Parra players in the NSW team, the worse the results.

Frailty

First Grade
Hate to let the facts get in the way of another incorrect Sharks/Asada version of events, but it was Trent Elkin (in his role as head of strength and conditioning) who directly introduced Dank to the Sharks. Elkin, as an expert in strength, conditioning and nutrition brought in Dank (from Manly, where the same supplements were used) and put his full trust in Dank. Flanno (not an expert in strength, conditioning or nutrition) was guilty of trusting both Elkin and Dank to do the jobs that they were both highly qualified and being paid to do, in a legal and compliant manner. Flanno was guilty of poor governance - this is not something that would usually fall under the remit of a head coach!
Flanno, just like the players, didn’t and couldn’t have known anything illegal was being taken - hell, even ASADA couldn’t know that, as there is literally ZERO evidence of any wrongdoing. Not 1 failed test, not 1 sample of the actual supplements provided tested and proven to be illegal…. To this day, the players don’t actually know what they took, or if it was indeed a banned substance.
Keep Flanno out of a job, but it’s ok for Trent Elkin to be back working at the Eels as ‘Head of Performance’…. Where’s the grief heading Parras way? Makes sense…..
You'd have a point if Flanno never returned to coaching because of the ASADA scandal - it was because he breached his suspension AND lied to the NRL about it.

Frailty

First Grade

Wighton has retired
My only problem with the list is RCG. Wighton, Radley, and Suualli are really no loss.

yobbo84

First Grade
Do "head of high performance" coaches count? If so, you'd have to think Travis Touma is short odds.

Massive injury crisis in his last season as head of high performance at the chooks in 2021, didn't last a year into a 3-year contract in the same role at Souths (we also had a large amount of injuries in the first half of 2022, pretty sure he negotiated a release) and now the Dogs...

I have no knowledge here, it could all be 'freak' occurrences or unfortunate incidents, but it's a hell of a coincidence if so...

Chimp

Bench
You'd have a point if Flanno never returned to coaching because of the ASADA scandal - it was because he breached his suspension AND lied to the NRL about it.
And again, rather than just looking at the headline, dig into what ACTUALLY happened.
He was communicating with the club around potential signings that would be joining the team AFTER his suspension had ended. He wasn’t coaching, he wasn’t involved in doing day to day duties, it was about preparing for his return. The whole ‘no contact with club until the ban is complete’ was a stupid requirement, and one that I suspect all other clubs would have breached - it was hardly crime of the century.
And before we get into the salary cap stuff - the Sharks were only doing what all other clubs do, Flanno and the Sharks were just dumb enough to leave a paper trail - again I put that more on the club. The club needed to be better all around, Flanno should never have been doing the amount of jobs he had at the club - he was basically head coach, CEO, recruitment manager, salary cap manager, construction worker, decorator…..
Ultimately, he’s a great coach and a winner (who was asked to do way too much, for a club with ZERO controls or streetwise smarts) - clubs are stupid to be overlooking him.

Wb1234

Referee
“Bad governance” and “corners cut”

Are you his manager?!
I doubt even his wife would give him the pass that you’re attempting here.

Between the doping scandal, the widespread salary cap rorts and his failure to adhere to the punishments handed down for his role in that, this is not a man I’d want as a leader of my organisation. His character and integrity is forever stained
He’s a scapegoat

he’s done his time

doust is a dope for not wanting him

MugaB

Coach
Justin Holbrook.
Yeah thats 2 games in a row, where their defensive efforts fell apart in the 2nd half..
Id be looking at turfing the defensive coach, or more likely their performance manager, its obvious they are not fit enough to last 80 mins of football, it was total backpedaling for that last 30 mins

Chimp

Bench
Yeah thats 2 games in a row, where their defensive efforts fell apart in the 2nd half..
Id be looking at turfing the defensive coach, or more likely their performance manager, its obvious they are not fit enough to last 80 mins of football, it was total backpedaling for that last 30 mins
You only have to look at their bench to understand why that happened. They had Campbell (skinny fullback), Clarke (rubbish reserve hooker), Leeming (reserve hooker) and just the 1 middle forward… absolute madness.

jim_57

Staff member
You only have to look at their bench to understand why that happened. They had Campbell (skinny fullback), Clarke (rubbish reserve hooker), Leeming (reserve hooker) and just the 1 middle forward… absolute madness.

I saw that pre-game and wondered wtf his plan was. Only one of those 3 should be on the bench, Campbell doesn’t work as a bench utility if he can’t play hooker and their hooker can’t play the full 80.

Saxon

Bench
He took them from being a bottom feeding ladder dweller to a premiership, their first ever... all that other shit was bad governance from the club, theyve fixed that now, and leaving a coach to do ALL the work himself will get those results, think dogs Hasler, think tigers Cleary, if your putting all that faith in one man to run a whole operation, there's bound to be corners cut...
As for Shane he walks into any club and gets them top8 within a season or two
Bad governance pigs arse.

Latest posts