What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach to get the boot in 09

Who will get the boot first in 2009

• Michael Hagan

Votes: 71 49.3%
  • Matthew Elliott

Votes: 47 32.6%
  • Brian Smith

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jason Taylor

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Tim Sheens

Votes: 16 11.1%
  • Other (specify in post0

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

Stagger eel

Staff member
clubs can no longer afford to sack their coach's anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

badav

Bench
The panthers have already shown their hand in regards to Elliot. %100 they would have sacked him this year if they could have afforded to.

He will get 6 weeks next season (like Steve Folkes this season) to show hes worthy of another contract and i dont think that he will be able to do that, regardless of the panthers results. The club would be concerned about the next 3-5 years and will want to go into the market for a new coach nice and early.

AILD

Bench
Elliot won't go - they didn't have the money to punt him at the end of this season.

Hagan is on notice on the public record. Once they come out and say they aren't extending his contract (like Brian Smith before him), Hagan has two choices for 2009. Buckle down and earn a place somewhere else through good results, or try and get his future sorted and not give a sh*t about the current season (like Brian Smith before him).

I suspect Hages will take the latter path, the players didn't care enough this year about their early season results so that probably won't change, and I suspect Hagan will be given a please explain in Round 4 when Parra have their 2010 coach signed and waiting in the wings. He might grab an extension until Round 8 or 10, but poor results/footy/potential will see him given the boot early imo. There's a lot at stake for Parra now - two years out of the 8 won't be acceptable.

But surely if penrith have yet ANOTHER terrible year, lets say they get the spoon which i think they will, they cant keep him? even if they are losing out on money.

Caged Panther

First Grade
But surely if penrith have yet ANOTHER terrible year, lets say they get the spoon which i think they will, they cant keep him? even if they are losing out on money.

Elliotts contract is up at the end of next year anyway so if in the early stage of the season look like they're on the ropes it won't be renewed. My guess is given what happened at the end of this season is that it won't be renewed regardless.

El Diablo

Post Whore
none will be sacked

i suspect Hagan and Elliot won't be coaching at their current clubs next year though

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well,

Hagan has Fitzgerald's ego behind him.

Elliot costs to much to pay out.

Smith will have results on his side.

Sheens is a possible....but I will go with Taylor, as he is crap and Lang and co will see that.

Taylor.

Gaba

First Grade
Fitler he needs to show he has more then plan a which is the kick , and he needs to change plans B to Z which are if plan A fails give up

Last edited: