What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Memory of Rugby League

Scott

Bench
1991 North Sydney vs Manly in the Major Semi Final.

Peter Jackson put Billy Moore over in the left hand corner.

Graeme Hughes was the commentator.

Fell in love with it there & then. Still in love with it to this day.

roofromoz

First Grade
Parramatta v Balmain in what was probably a State Bank Big Game, in either 1986 or 1987.

maple_69

Bench
Watching the 96 GF between Manly and the Dragons. My old man was a Dragon and this was their 3rd crack in 5 years at breaking the drought. Against the scummy Silvertails no less. I think there was a really controversial call late in the first half when the game was in the balance and then St George were broken. Devastating. Took another 2 years before I got behind Penrith in 99 and started following it.

TheFrog

Coach
Balmain going to a big lead in the premiership in 1966 then losing a string of games to run 2nd. They managed to account for Manly in the final but were outclassed in the big one. It was my last game as a Tigers supporter, as the Panthers debuted the following season. Unfortunately, the GF was not shown on TV that year. Perhaps the last year that was the case. Channel 7 gave scores during some Mickey Rooney movie. I mustn't have known about Frank Hyde at that time.

Actually it was early in the off season. Rex Mossop ran a touch comp in the channel 7 studios complete with concrete floors, and the new clubs Penrith and Cronulla were featured. From this event, played over several weeks, I was a Panther for life.

I remember getting quite a surprise when I saw Balmain play at Penrith in 1967, that their colours were not black and grey. I'd only seen them on TV, you see.

beave

Coach
I had watched footy before, but the first memory of a match was the 99 grand final (I was 6).
Went in supporting the Storm, they were losing at half time, swapped to Dragons and of course they lost. Not that I cared because I was already a knights supporter (due to Joey)

So this game is your first memory...........but you were already a knights fan before it because of Joey?

My mind is f**king blown.........

beave

Coach
My earliest memory was watching the Raiders on ABC around 1986. Their jersey stood out to me for some reason.

Chook Norris

First Grade
First memory was probably the 2001 NRL GF Parra v Newcastle.... or it was seeing Wendell Sailor score on the wing for the Broncos around that period of time

TheVelourFog

First Grade
1985, my parents went to the final supporting Bulldogs simply because they hated the Dragons. I was 4 so was left with friends to watch on tv.
After that it was collecting footy cards like I imagine a lot of young fellas in the 80s.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I was about 6 I think, dad took me to a Bulldogs v Souths game at Belmore. I barely remember watching the game itself, just running around at the non-railway end.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Round 3 2005 Souths 18 Raiders 25

Being a 9 year old and crying because we lost :lol::lol::lol:

Watching the 2005 Grand Final at Woy Woy RSL with family, only remembered the pregame talk though for some reason....and Pat Richards' try of course.

Noa

First Grade
Sitting on a hill 1980 or 81 watching the Jets play the Roosters, must have been Henson Park

Jubileeboy

First Grade
First ever....Cumberland Oval in a preseason Craven Cup match. Early 70's.
Remember Phil Mann was a giant and there were these blind drunk fellas just pissing where they stood.
As a kid, hardy missed any grand finals or replays at the SCG throughout the late 70's.
The old Sports Ground was a good one as well.

jargan83

Coach
Earliest memory that I can recall is the 1989 Grand Final, I would have been 6 years old at the time and we had just moved to Perth for the first time. We drove across the country but checked in to our hotel here in Perth just in time for kick off and myself, the old man and my 4 year old brother sat glued to the tv for the game.

First memory of being at a live game was Cronulla vs Parramatta at the WACA in 1991, first time going to the footy with my dad. I think Parramatta won.

Last edited:

Nugget10

Juniors
Penrith Vs Brisbane at Penrith park 1988. I was 5 years old and the old man took me and my younger Brother. I remember the hill, the Panther scoreboard and the Crowd chanting ''Wally's a wanker''

undertaker

Coach
First ever memory of anything related to RL for me would've as a 7yr old in 1994. Remember sitting on the couch with my dad at home watching a game one evening, going through the rules of the game with me, and counting the tackle count of a set of six together in unison (and asking him why "5th tackle" kept appearing on the top right corner of the tv screen:lol:).

Although NBN (regional affiliate of Ch9 in the Hunter and North NSW) changed their logo to model Ch9's (with the 9 dots) in 1994, I still remember the old pre-1994 NBN logo on the sleeves of the Knights' jerseys and advertising boards at their home ground that year before they changed it following year. I also remember nearly all of the jerseys of the clubs pre-SL were great (except for the diamond-checkered Traveland jersey the Broncos used to wear for night matches. Remember those?)

However, 1996 - as a result of the Knights success in the previous year when they fell one game short of the GF - was the first season I would say I became a 'follower' by regularly watching RL games on tv (as well as watching The Footy Show, which was much better back then compared to the farce it has evolved into now), coinciding with my first year having a Newcastle Knights membership pass.

Round 3 2005 Souths 18 Raiders 25

Being a 9 year old and crying because we lost :lol::lol::lol:

Watching the 2005 Grand Final at Woy Woy RSL with family, only remembered the pregame talk though for some reason....and Pat Richards' try of course.

Man, you make me feel ooooooooold!

Last edited:

DeeJ

Bench
I think watching one of the Broncos/Saints finals in the early 90s at home on telly.

For me too, can't remember if I remember seeing the end of the game or the news report, or the former rolling into the latter.

I already remember playing league for the first time and my best friend taking a clothesline to the neck, lol.