What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Memory of Rugby League

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
1986 Grand Final - Brothers vs Wynumm andWally Lewis lifting the trophy. A hard one to stomach considering we were all Brothers supporters.

Dave_

Juniors
Everyone yelling at the TV during Origin and me just thinking wtf this is awesome! And Benny Elias with his face covered in blood.

shinobi

Juniors
Moved to sydney from nz in 88 stayed in wentworthville my uncle took us to an eels vs magpies game. Only things I remember is we sat up on the hill and someone broke their leg (maybe andrew leeds???) and it stopped the game for a fair amount of time. Funny thing was id never heard of rugby league living in nz was always just about the all blacks.

timka4

Bench
So this game is your first memory...........but you were already a knights fan before it because of Joey?

My mind is f**king blown.........
Yeah and it's always blown my mind too. I had always supported the knights but this was the earliest game I can remember.

Knightmare

Coach
BRL match of the rounds at Lang Park circa 1986.

Not so much the footy but drunks at the ground chanting 'Wynnum Wynnum Wynnum'!

Those were the days when my old man would go to every Wynnum game, home and away. Some blokes still do.

I disappointed him by growing up an Easts fan as that is who I played for.

I love stories like this. I imagine it would have been great living in Brisbane in the days before the Broncos, when the BRL was the main event in town. I imagine the games being higher caliber with bigger crowds and a greater resemblance of the Sydney suburban/ district "tribalism".

I hope that sooner or later at least one QRL team from the pre-Broncos days makes the step up to the NRL. The NRL in Qld would be stronger for it.

My first memories of Rugby League would be my Mum's side of the family supporting Parramatta, knowing that 'Simply the Best' was "the football song" and being aware of the Bears in the early 90's (as a result of living in Cammeray and frequently going past NSO and going to Norths Leagues occasionally with friends). First game I watched was the '94 Grand Final with Roy and HG's commentary. It was Meninga's last club game and the Raiders thrashed Canterbury.

First game I went to was Round 1, 2000 when the Northern Eagles beat the Knights 24-14 at the brand new NorthPower Stadium. It was a night time game, a sellout, the atmosphere was more lively and passionate than I'd imagined and I knew I wanted to go to another Knights game soon (I was already a fan by this time but never been to a game). The rest is history...

Last edited:

The Enforcer

Juniors
Going to the SCG for the regular match of the round on a Saturday which featured the Dragons v someone about 40 years ago.