What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Saints game you went to ?

st penguin

Juniors
Love the peanuts man. Think he's had a few mentions before in LU from me and others..

He used to do some other grounds as well, as mentioned by @Old Timer ..

I remember going to Belmore to watch Dragons Dogs - I can't remember the year but it was the game when Terry Lamb took out Mark Coyne in backplay a-la Ellery Hanley..

Anyway I was amongst the Dragons mob on the hill, and the Skull was right in the middle of us. The Peanuts man came wandering through from our right side with his school bag muttering his usual "peanuts peanuts peanuts"..

Anyway Skull pipes up and starts the Dragons fans in a chant of

"PEANUTS!!! clap-clap-clap PEANUTS!!! clap-clap-clap PEANUTS!!! clap-clap-clap...."

Soon enough the whole hill got into it - but Mr Peanuts seemed oblivious to it all and kept working through the crowd trying to sell em, as a few thousand fans were chanting for what seemed like forever.. It is one of my most vivid memories as a fan at the footy..

Would love to know what ever happened to him.
I used to stand with the mob with the flags on the grandstand end. Skull would be perched up in a tree because he was banned by that stage.

I remember there was always one guy wandering around Jubilee head to toe in saints gear, I think his name might have been Wayne.

At least once every home game someone would spot him walking by and shout “Wayne, who’s the referee?!”

Wayne always knew the answer and would shout back the name.

ALSGI

Bench
Like i said the memories are vague of the game being so long ago now.I was only 11 at the time but i am pretty sure Ricky Walford scored a try which made it extra special for me because he was my favourite player when i was a kid.
Boy could we do with a Ricky Walford at the moment, pace, strength and desire and i think if you had cut him open he would have bled RED AND WHITE
Is that the game when Wally Lewis broke his arm? If so, I was there sitting very close to you!

Don’t remember my first game, late 60’s sometime. I mostly ran around playing with other kids first couple of years and would only watch when some one scored or the crowd was going off, sometimes sitting up on Dad’s shoulders.

Old Timer

Coach
The peanut man was Maltese and when he came to Australia he could barely speak English nor could he read or write.
Shortly after arriving he applied for a job with Hurstville Council as a night carter for the old outside toilets.
When he had the interview they asked him to fill in the forms and of course he couldn't read or write so they didn't give him the job.
So being a resourceful guy he decided to buy and sell peanuts and he became so good at it he was even bigger than Jo Bjelke Petersen and our old mate became the peanut king of Australia. He started peanut selling franchise's at every footy ground in Sydney and he became a multi millionaire.
He relocated his elderly mum and dad from Malta to a palatial house in Blakehurst and the rest became history.
One night he took his parents out for a $$$$ dinner and he paid cash for the meal and his mother asked why he carried all that cash and didn't pay by credit card?
He held his mums hand and said "Mamma it is very simple I never learnt to read or write".
His mother then said "Son you are the peanut king of Australia and you cant read and write, just imagine where we would all be if you had learnt"?
He looks at his dear old mum and lovingly said "Yep I would still be carrying shit somewhere in Kogarah and you'd be living in Malta."

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The peanut man was Maltese and when he came to Australia he could barely speak English nor could he read or write.
Shortly after arriving he applied for a job with Hurstville Council as a night carter for the old outside toilets.
When he had the interview they asked him to fill in the forms and of course he couldn't read or write so they didn't give him the job.
So being a resourceful guy he decided to buy and sell peanuts and he became so good at it he was even bigger than Jo Bjelke Petersen and our old mate became the peanut king of Australia. He started peanut selling franchise's at every footy ground in Sydney and he became a multi millionaire.
He relocated his elderly mum and dad from Malta to a palatial house in Blakehurst and the rest became history.
One night he took his parents out for a $$$$ dinner and he paid cash for the meal and his mother asked why he carried all that cash and didn't pay by credit card?
He held his mums hand and said "Mamma it is very simple I never learnt to read or write".
His mother then said "Son you are the peanut king of Australia and you cant read and write, just imagine where we would all be if you had learnt"?
He looks at his dear old mum and lovingly said "Yep I would still be carrying shit somewhere in Kogarah and you'd be living in Malta."
Love these stories

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We referrrd to them as clogg shoes and came in all shapes and sizes and they became pretty fashionable on the hill.
Of course there were also the people who gathered their steel beer cans and made them into groups of 6 and taped them together and stood on them but due to the slope of the hill they became impossible to balance on as the day wore on.
The old cry of “sit down in friont” fell on many a deaf ear.
I bet theres not many clogg shoes around these days OT

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Great post BSE brings back plenty of memories.
Yes the little beer outlet under the score board was a classic and the one at the back of and underneath the Sheridan were very popular places and funny enough you would occasionally see the reserve grade players in there having a quick beer before they went to change to play.
Of course in the old days some used used to cart a slab in on the shoulder and your mate would carry the white foam esky in with the ice and you would set up on the hill which by half time in the main game would be a flood with spilt beer, crushed eskies, cans (steel in those days) everywhere as trip hazards and of course all inter mingled with a barney or two making it the devils own job to get from the bar under the scoreboard back to your mates.
Trivia question for you what brand of pies were they and were they round or square?
Do you remember the food outlet at the eastern side of the Sheridan but in the outer ground where they used to do the fish and chips and put it on the little white cardboard trays?
As kids my brother and I used to aspire to having it one day rather than the devon sandwiches mum made and dad took in the old Igloo esky. We somehow skipped it and went from devon sandwiches to Reschs Silver Bullets and pies.
I think they were square Big Ben or maybe they were round Scotts.....whatever they were they wernt round or square when you got back to your possie.....yes I do remember the food outlet you mentioned OT and the fish n chips...as you say they came in white trays with small scalloped edges. .wasnt flash enough to have devon on my sandwiches but more like hundreds and thousands on stale bread lol

st penguin

Juniors
I think they were square Big Ben or maybe they were round Scotts.....whatever they were they wernt round or square when you got back to your possie.....yes I do remember the food outlet you mentioned OT and the fish n chips...as you say they came in white trays with small scalloped edges. .wasnt flash enough to have devon on my sandwiches but more like hundreds and thousands on stale bread lol
Devon on white bread with tomato sauce. Food of champions.

I don't think my kids even know devon exists!

I was a year ahead of this guy at school, but got to know him a little when we were trying out for the U14 team at school.
He asked me to go to a SCG game with he and his dad next Saturday.
They duly picked me up at home on the day and away we went.

Walking into the ground and going into Sheridan stand I noticed that a lot of people said g’day to my friends dad.
But not knowing any saints history, I didnt think anything about it.
It was only after they dropped me back home and returned to their car that my big sister (10 years older) said - that man was Dutchy Holland.

I then learnt Jack Dutchy Holland had played prop not only for saints but also for Australia.
I had no idea in advance.
John - the son - was a quite and unassuming person.
But a handy prop forward himself.
He made the team.
I was cut.
:(

Banjo2014

Juniors
Big Ben square pies.
I remember the big foam eskies coming in at the start of the game and by halftime or thereafter, they'd be breaking up flooding the area.
I remember guys drinking DA ( Dinner ale ) tallies.
Good post OT.
Old Timer

Big Ben Pies - the eski plus my Dad - 2 bob on the ball - he would bet on anything God Love him - devon sandos going to get my missus to make me one right now

Thanks mate - that has absolutely made my day.