What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Saints game you went to ?

st penguin

Juniors
As a child i was never going to grow up to be anything other than a dragons supporter.My father and my uncle were dragons tragic's and they passed this on to me from an early age.Dad would never have made me support a team just because he did but when your a young boy all you want to do is be like your father so i jumped aboard the roller coaster that is the life of a dragons supporter. Dad and my Uncle would always talk of the good old days of the 11 premierships in a row or watching ''puff the magic dragon" the prince of centres Reg Gasnier, Changa Langlands and the great Norm Provan, like i said my life as a dragons supporter was written in the stars, it was meant to be.
Being a long time ago now the details have faded along the way but i do know that the first game i ever went to with Dad was a Dragons v Broncos game at Kogarah. I think it was in 1989, the early years of the broncos. It poured rain most of the game.We sat on the old steel benches to the left of the old grandstand as you walk in, huddled under two umbrellas rain dripping all over us, everything was drenched, ''IT WAS GREAT". Dad warned me that Brisbane would be hard to beat that day and for me not to get mt hopes up as they were on a long winning streak. The dragons got up that day in the rain at Kogarah because i remember dad saying on the way home he was glad that my first time watching the mighty dragons live was a win for the good guys.Looking back on the records i think it was round 11 1989 with the Dragons winning 20-10. Like i said the details had faded but what i do remember is the rain and being with Dad under the umbrellas cheering for the red V.
I watched a lot of Rugby League with Dad over the years,we went to the 1993 Grand Final hoping to see the Dragons win a premiership together but we fell short,although we did get to see Tina Turner perform ''Simply the Best'' live that was awesome.We watched at home in 1999 thinking this was it only to be robbed at the death. We stopped going to games but i would always try to make it home on the weekends so we could watch the dragons games together . I doubted that i would ever get to see the Dragons win a grand final with Dad.
That changed in 2010 when Dad and I sat together in the lounge room of the home i grew up in and watched the dragons beat the roosters.When the heavens opened up in the second half i couldn't help but think of that day in 1989 at a rain drenched Kogarah Oval.
When the final siren went i stood up and hugged Dad and we both got teary eyed which was unusual for me and really unusual for Dad.I think we both new how significant a moment it was because it ended up being the last grand final we got to watch together.Dad passed away the next year in August after been diagnosed with cancer in April 2009.
Looking back i am so glad i got to see the Dragons win a Grandfinal with Dad.Sometimes i wish i could go back in time to that rainy day at Kogarah Oval in 1989 when i was only 11 years old and sit with Dad again and cheer on the Mighty Dragons.
People say that rugby league is "just a game" but to some it is so much more.
Miss you Dad.....
I was at that game! Probably the most memorable game I ever attended. I can't believe that was your first game.

I also went with my Dad. We weren't sure whether to go because the rain was chucking down and we didn't have much hope of winning.

Your dad said was right to tell you not to get your hopes up. Brisbane were stacked with talent and looked virtually unstoppable. When we played them they had won 12 and lost 1.

rlw 1989 (148).jpeg

Like you, the memories have faded. But I do remember the elation of watching Ricky Walford find some space on the edge and kicking ahead. The ground was so boggy it just sat on the ground waiting for him, as he streaked past his marker to score.

We were beating the Broncos! We were beating the f**king Broncos! f**k you Wally!

It seemed like there were only a hundred of us on the hill and we were jumping around wildly.

Finding a way to beat the Broncos was big news and was featured on the cover of Rugby League Week.

(Just look at Brian Johnstone's face!)

rlw 1989 (106).jpeg

Great memories from an otherwise forgettable year.

counterpuncher

Juniors
First one I can remember actually going to was at Belmore during the '88 season. No idea who we played though. Was more about mass games of footy with random kids you didn't know than actually watching the game.
The old man just told me to have fun and come back when the hooter went (imagine helicopter parents doing that these days...)

Life's Good

Coach
Great thread. I’m energised by the stories told about our shared love of the Dragons.
My first game was Rd 7, 1992 vs. Western Suburbs at Campbelltown. Coming from the inner west it was a hike to get out there with my Magpie obsessed cousin. We lost 19-12 but being able to see the likes of Barnhill, Hardy, Gourley up close was all that mattered.
The loss was compensated with cheesy bread & buffet at Sizzlers Campbelltown on the drive home.
We returned the favour 13-12 at Kogarah in the last round with Ricky Walford(love that guy)scoring a twinkle toe special & just staying in play.

kit66

Bench
I finally got to read through all the posts on here, they're all great stories, I was getting a bit misty eyed reading some of them.
Great to see plenty of children of the 60's and 70's on here, lot of history in our collective memories when you think about. From running on the ground after the games at the SCG in the 70's, to sitting front row at the SFS watching Phil Blake run 60 metres down the sideline right past me to score a winning try, watching the Dragons bag an unlikely win against the Broncs at Lang Park, Saints have given me many a great day out.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
As a child i was never going to grow up to be anything other than a dragons supporter.My father and my uncle were dragons tragic's and they passed this on to me from an early age.Dad would never have made me support a team just because he did but when your a young boy all you want to do is be like your father so i jumped aboard the roller coaster that is the life of a dragons supporter. Dad and my Uncle would always talk of the good old days of the 11 premierships in a row or watching ''puff the magic dragon" the prince of centres Reg Gasnier, Changa Langlands and the great Norm Provan, like i said my life as a dragons supporter was written in the stars, it was meant to be.
Being a long time ago now the details have faded along the way but i do know that the first game i ever went to with Dad was a Dragons v Broncos game at Kogarah. I think it was in 1989, the early years of the broncos. It poured rain most of the game.We sat on the old steel benches to the left of the old grandstand as you walk in, huddled under two umbrellas rain dripping all over us, everything was drenched, ''IT WAS GREAT". Dad warned me that Brisbane would be hard to beat that day and for me not to get mt hopes up as they were on a long winning streak. The dragons got up that day in the rain at Kogarah because i remember dad saying on the way home he was glad that my first time watching the mighty dragons live was a win for the good guys.Looking back on the records i think it was round 11 1989 with the Dragons winning 20-10. Like i said the details had faded but what i do remember is the rain and being with Dad under the umbrellas cheering for the red V.
I watched a lot of Rugby League with Dad over the years,we went to the 1993 Grand Final hoping to see the Dragons win a premiership together but we fell short,although we did get to see Tina Turner perform ''Simply the Best'' live that was awesome.We watched at home in 1999 thinking this was it only to be robbed at the death. We stopped going to games but i would always try to make it home on the weekends so we could watch the dragons games together . I doubted that i would ever get to see the Dragons win a grand final with Dad.
That changed in 2010 when Dad and I sat together in the lounge room of the home i grew up in and watched the dragons beat the roosters.When the heavens opened up in the second half i couldn't help but think of that day in 1989 at a rain drenched Kogarah Oval.
When the final siren went i stood up and hugged Dad and we both got teary eyed which was unusual for me and really unusual for Dad.I think we both new how significant a moment it was because it ended up being the last grand final we got to watch together.Dad passed away the next year in August after been diagnosed with cancer in April 2009.
Looking back i am so glad i got to see the Dragons win a Grandfinal with Dad.Sometimes i wish i could go back in time to that rainy day at Kogarah Oval in 1989 when i was only 11 years old and sit with Dad again and cheer on the Mighty Dragons.
Miss you Dad.....

Lovely post, mate.
'We all miss our folks.
Nice to read your comments.

trl

Juniors
My first game was the 1971 SCG match of the day against Souths on the Saturday of the Queen's birthday June long weekend. I was a 12 year old country boy in the city with my football team mates to begin our reciprocal relationship with the Maroubra Diggers football club (the Maroubra boys returned the visit each October Labour day long weekend). Once we had met our billets at Redfern Oval we were taken to the SCG for the match. Saints won the match 14-12 that day. It was a great experience and the memory lingers long and true! It almost makes up for the Grand Final disappointment later that year. Eric Simms was out that day and sitting on the hill. He was gracious enough to sign autographs for all of us country kids.

jak

Bench
Miss you Dad.....
great post well done

Overseas dragon

Juniors
My first game was 1963 at sydney cricket ground semi was a game against Wests . in the early 70s I worked at stacks cars paddington. Ian Walsh was my boss got to meet some of my Hero's smithy, raper, and gasnier..ran into smithy and chook many times around cronulla. They were always on the prowl.one game I do remember apisai Toga hitting a rooster ,Mark Harris and sending him home in a basket at the old sports ground I liked that ground

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
My first game was 1963 at sydney cricket ground semi was a game against Wests . in the early 70s I worked at stacks cars paddington. Ian Walsh was my boss got to meet some of my Hero's smithy, raper, and gasnier..ran into smithy and chook many times around cronulla. They were always on the prowl.one game I do remember apisai Toga hitting a rooster ,Mark Harris and sending him home in a basket at the old sports ground I liked that ground
I do remember that game ...Apisai and his brother Inosai Toga nows theres names from the past....yes poor ol Mark Harris he eventualy went to play American Football he would run on kick a goal then run off...poor bugger may have thought there were more Toga brothers over there as well

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
First saints game I saw was 1994 when they came to WIN stadium..

We thrashed them 24-0 that day and sent them back to Kogarah with their tails between their legs..

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Cant remember my exact first game but I do remember those fabulous early years watching Kevin Ryan, Bluey Wilson , Gaz, Chook Raper, Changa Smithy, Kingy,Eddie Lumsden etc etc....not on topic I know but one game I went to at The SCG I think I would have been around 18 (maybe even under age)and in those days they has a small kiosk under the old scoreboard on the hill .....went in with a group of mates and it was my job being the youngest to go and get the beers (in paper cups)and the meat pies with the customery tomatoe sauce In the small cardboard trays you got to carry them in...the ground was packed to the hilt this day, from memory we were playing Souths and unfortunately we were somewhere down towards the front....after finally getting my order filled which was around 8 beers and 11 meat pies (Reggie my mate he was a greedy bastard he always ate 3) I started to make my way back down to where we were standing....after repeatedly getting knocked arse over head and loosing most of the pies I got back with about 4 cold pies and 4 half filled cups of beer.....I reeked of spilt stale beer and had tomatoe sauce from top to bottom....then pushing and shoving started between 7 of my mates as to who would eat the one pie because Reggie the greedy fat bastard still wanted his 3..ahhh the memories....and you know what wouldnt swap em for quids

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
"65 Grand Final. Saints all 3 grades. Biggest crowd ever (78,056?), 10th premiership in a row, 2 star-studded packs (current legends vs future legends), Norm Provan's last game. Gates opened at 8.00am. Long day. Loved every minute.
Yep remember that...they were sitting on the roofs

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
They used to play lots of mid week games (Amco Cup, KB Cup, Tooths Cup, Panasonic Cup and what ever else the comp was called at the time) at regional areas. It was a way of taking games to regional areas. I don't know if I ever missed watching a mid week game from about 1981 onwards.
Me either Frank..they played a lot of games (Amco Cup )mid week at Leichhardt Oval.....my wifes grandmother was in a nursing home that backed onto the oval back then and allthough we lived at Gymea Id say to my wife lets go and visit your Nan....so while we were there Id leave her with Nan walked down the back yard to where there was an old gardeners shed...beside the shed was an old wheelbarrow I used to throw it up onto the roof climb up the fence onto the roof and lay in the barrow with my legs hanging over the handles....bloody beautiful had an uniterrupted view of the game.....the only downside was it would freeze your testies....oh and the other thing poor Nan didn't live long....true story

S.B.

Juniors
Not sure the actual date but sometime in 54 I went to th SCG to watch Saints play Souths. I was from the country but allways followed the Dragonsas an uncle played for them in the fourties.No idea who the winner was but vaguely remember it being a very rugged game.Have followed them all my life realy and still do though I don't get to games anymore. watched all the great ones play but my favourit (not the best) was poppa clay. I loved watching him and Smithy play.

qld redvee

Juniors
first game that i can really remember was April 1969 at Kugarah against Penrith .
reason I can remember is that my Dad asked the guy on the dressing room if I could meet Johnny Raper.
John did come out to say gday and I remember shaking his hand - imagine what this 10 year old was like after that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
great posts and great memories guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts